PDA

View Full Version : do you allow contracts to be changed all the time?

newandlearning
10-05-2010, 11:47 AM
I'm beginning to panic abit financially.. my full timer starts school in sept so I know she is going.. in the meantime the parents have gone from full time care 8 till 6pm.. to 8.30 to 4.00 .. last week this was changed to 9.30 to 2.pm.. and this week they want to take him out of setting on a monday altogether..

Its meant Ive had a really big drop in income and am really beginning to worry about how to make ends meet.. and also don't seem to get many new calls so am worried about maybe having to stop.

I'm wondering what you guys would do? .. do you allow parents to constantly change contracts? how would you deal with this?

thank you for reading.

Tink
10-05-2010, 11:50 AM
I review my contracts every 6 months, just in case circumstances have changed etc.
I also say that any change to contracts has to be 4 weeks notice.

venus89
10-05-2010, 11:52 AM
It might also be worth explaining to them that she's taking up a full time space for half a days' care......

I try to be flexible but I wouldn't be happy with how much thay're chopping your hours down constantly.

sandy64
10-05-2010, 11:56 AM
I review my contracts every 6 months, just in case circumstances have changed etc.
I also say that any change to contracts has to be 4 weeks notice.

hi i agree with this t. i charge per day so my fees wouldnt of changed as 4hrs or more is a full day but they do need to give you x amount of notice which is on contract hope there giveing you notice/or full payment ifthere terminating why should you suffer hope you get someone else soon:)

Hebs
10-05-2010, 12:19 PM
hi i agree with this t. i charge per day so my fees wouldnt of changed as 4hrs or more is a full day but they do need to give you x amount of notice which is on contract hope there giveing you notice/or full payment ifthere terminating why should you suffer hope you get someone else soon:)

i'm also considering charging by the day (or part day higher rate) rather than by the hour

Bushpig
10-05-2010, 12:37 PM
I would be alarmed. The reason you took the child on was for the full time space, and now it's half a day - and FULL time. I hope you upped your hourly rate to allow for this change in hours? They haven't even started and keep changing their minds... goodness what else they will change.

green puppy
10-05-2010, 12:38 PM
I charge by the day for 8 or more hours otherwise I charge a higher hourly rate. I have a 4 week notice period to change hours or days, I would also say to them that if the hours/days dropped alot then I may need to reconsider contract all together as the place began as a full time placement. Do you have a notice period written into your contract?

venus89
10-05-2010, 12:38 PM
I would be alarmed. The reason you took the child on was for the full time space, and now it's half a day - and FULL time. I hope you upped your hourly rate to allow for this change in hours? They haven't even started and keep changing their minds... goodness what else they will change.

They have, she's leaving in Sept. But you're right, they are very flighty!

The Juggler
10-05-2010, 01:07 PM
well I would at least insist on a month's notice for any reduction in hours. Then I would insist on a minimum number of hours per day. If you need 8 and they want six then meet in the middle - say 6 hours???

If they want to take him out on a Monday I would tell them a month's notice then I would advertise hon, it's surprising how many parents need just one day just now.

hope it works out.

huggableshelly
10-05-2010, 01:49 PM
4 wks notice for change of hours/days unless there is a valid reason (such as hospital care or sudden loss of parents jobs).

Its not very fair of them to expect you to take a cut in fees when they click their fingers!

SYLVIA
10-05-2010, 01:55 PM
cant say that I've had experience of contract changes but i would certainly be asking for 4 weeks notice of change of hours/days. Higher rate for half days sounds good. Might rewrite something in to my ontracts for the future

newandlearning
10-05-2010, 02:41 PM
thanks everyone for your replies.. it can be rather unsettling .. as I started off having mindee for a 45+ hour week and now I'm down to 20 hours... its a really big drop ... I'm going to start being more active with my advertising...

I already have a 4 week notice period but think may well advertise giving lunch and dinner for free if a full day and as an add on otherwise.. don't know yet...

I don't want to price myself out of market.ssxxx