PDA

View Full Version : Mine and Yours!!

helenlc
10-05-2010, 11:10 AM
Another bit of advice needed please!!

I have a mindee who is going to be 2 this Saturday.

Her latest thing (and has been worse this morning) is her saying Mine not yours!! I have the 11 mth old here and she is constantly saying to him "Mine not yours" if he comes anywhere near her - regardless of whether he may or may not want what she has!!

Also, if she leaves something and walks away, then the 11 mth old goes to it, she is saying "Mine not yours" and taking it off him. Needless to say, I give it straight back.

It is driving me mad!!

I keep saying to her that I dont want to hear her say that, that the toys are not hers - that they are here for everyone and they are to be shared etc.

She is an only child, so she would not necessarily be needing to be terrotorial about her toys at home. She may see cousins or friends children and be like it. But TBH she is with me 4 days 8.30 - 6, so it doesnt leave her much time to be like it at home!

None of my other mindees do or say this, so she hasnt necessarily picked it up from them. I realise it can be an age thing but just want to know the best way to deal with it.

Blaze
10-05-2010, 11:16 AM
It's a stage - just be consistant...here the toys are mine - isn't it lucky that I share!;)

Hebs
10-05-2010, 11:22 AM
It's a stage - just be consistant...here the toys are mine - isn't it lucky that I share!;)

thats what i say :thumbsup:

Tina O
10-05-2010, 11:49 AM
keep at it, it's an 'age' thing...... just make sure she is not expected to share what she is playing with at that time, but that when she has finished with it someone else can have a go... I have two brothers who have a similar problem, but just got to keep a eye on it xxx

venus89
10-05-2010, 12:03 PM
Definately an age thing, and you're dealing with it well!

I have a nearly two year old mindee who's just the same. It's constantly 'mine - my ball/book/car' etc even if it was something he's not touched for half an hour. I'm encouraging him to give it back if he snatched it and explaining he can have a turn when the other child has finished as well as reminding him that they are my toys as opposed to his. He started this round about Christmas time, maybe a bit after, and is getting much better now although he can lapse into the Mines. Persevere. And good luck!

francinejayne
10-05-2010, 12:51 PM
My 2 year old DS is the same. He is getting better - sometimes! It helps to reinforce the message by sharing with teddies or dolls, which he is happy to do! Then when he needs to share with mindee I remind him that he shared with teddy so now he can share with A. Lots and lots of praise and he is happy!
Be consistent!

helenlc
10-05-2010, 12:53 PM
Thank you!!

I have been saying words along the lines of the toys are here for everyone to play with.

I shall just stick at it then!!:thumbsup: