PDA

View Full Version : Who of you have a bedroom registered for play use? & raising 5 question please

Ben10mad
10-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Hi
I used to have a bedroom registered for overnight care, i took it off my registration due to no phone calls for overnight care.
I dont have a play room i just rotate toys ect on a daily basis, All the toys however are kept upsatirs in the bedroom that was once registered.
Im just thinking would it just be worth re-registering that bedroom and turning it in to a play room. It would probley be difficault due to going up and down stairs, meal times ect, but i have an assistant most of the time.
Do any of you have a play room upstairs?
If so does it work well for you?

Raising 5 question

I have 3 children who are all aged 4 they all start full time school september, so they will be classed as a over 5?
Can they be classed as over 5 when they break up for the summer holidays?
I have had a couple of phone calls for new children to start august time but not sure wether i can take them on.

Any replys would help
Thanks for reading

mama2three
10-05-2010, 11:37 AM
I have most of my toys upstairs in ds's room and bring down what i want each day. Mindees often come up and help choose , or we have a play up there , storytime curled up on the bed etc. Its not a playroom as such but it makes valuable extra room and somewhere different for the children. we spent half an hour up there when mrs O was here and she was happy to come up too. It does depend how old your mindees are though whether it is very practical , are they all safe on the stairs?

Cant help with your second question , I would presume they are only rising 5s from september but thats just a guess really. Sure someone will know the answer and be along soon!!

Tina O
10-05-2010, 11:44 AM
HI, I only use the spare room as a 'sleeping room' so don't know about the playroom issue, but surely it's worth asking??????

as for september starts, I have always thought that they are classed as '5' in September, when started school, but I don't have it in writing so might be wrong ..........

Straws
10-05-2010, 11:46 AM
For rising 5's yes you can class them in your next age group as long as you have the condition on your registration certificate it should say ...........Where children aged four and five are in full time education (attending ten education sessions per week) they can be counted as over the age of five, for the purposes of the adult:child ratio only.

Straws x

Ben10mad
10-05-2010, 12:16 PM
(attending ten education sessions per week)

Thank you for all your replys.
One mindee age 4 at the mo attends a childrens centre for 15hours per week so is she still classed as one of my under 5's

AliceK
10-05-2010, 12:26 PM
If they are in full-time sessions eg 9 - 3 then they can be classed as rising 5's. Officially they ARE rising 5's but they are on their summer hols. I've had a few calls to ofsted regarding this as I am in the same position.

xxxxx

Hebs
10-05-2010, 12:28 PM
Raising 5 question

I have 3 children who are all aged 4 they all start full time school september, so they will be classed as a over 5?
Can they be classed as over 5 when they break up for the summer holidays?
I have had a couple of phone calls for new children to start august time but not sure wether i can take them on.

Any replys would help
Thanks for reading

I have emailed ofsted to ask for clarification on this, as my new mindee is a rising 5 but i need to do her settling in sessions during the summer holidays :thumbsup:

will post their reply once i get it :D

Hebs
10-05-2010, 03:29 PM
I asked

Hi,

I was hoping you could clarify the following question that has a few local childminder confused.

When a 4 year old child leaves nursery in july for the summer holidays when do they count as a rising 5?

As they are no longer registered with the nursery but with the primary school can we count tham as rising 5\'s during the school summer holidays or do we have to wait until they actually start school in September?

As a few of us have children who need settling in sessions during the school holidays ready for the september start we really could do with knowing if we can count them as rising 5\'s to ensure we do not go over our allowed numbers.

The reply

Dear Ms Smith,

Thank you for your e-mail.

If you care for children aged four and five who are in full-time education, either before or after school or in the school holidays (including the school holidays before the child starts school), you may count them as older than the early years age group. This allows you to have extra children in the early years age group but no more than six children in total.

You should ask us for a special condition on your certificate before the first time you do this. The condition allows you to increase the numbers of children in the early years age group by the number of children aged four and five in full-time education. If you are already providing places for rising fives you are not in breach of requirements, we would just ask that you request this condition for clarity.

Once you have this condition of registration you do not have to tell us about each time this happens.

If it is your own child, a foster child or relative's child who is in full-time education then you do not have to have this condition. Instead you need to ask us to increase the number of children you may have in the early years age group. This is because other children you are responsible for, such as your own children, are not included in the number of children on your certificate. However, we do reduce the number you can care for as a childminder by the number of your own children or any other children you are responsible for such as foster children or grandchildren.

I hope this information is helpful to you. Should you require further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.

Regards,

AliceK
10-05-2010, 03:41 PM
Thats brilliant Hebs. That what I was told by Ofsted (after arguing the toss with them) but silly me I didn't actually get it in writing so thats a relief to me :thumbsup:

xxxxxxxx

Hebs
10-05-2010, 04:16 PM
Thats brilliant Hebs. That what I was told by Ofsted (after arguing the toss with them) but silly me I didn't actually get it in writing so thats a relief to me :thumbsup:

xxxxxxxx

thats why i email rather than call :D