PDA

View Full Version : Behaviour at Mealtimes

helenlc
10-05-2010, 11:04 AM
I have one mindee who was 2 in February and another who is 2 this coming Saturday. I also have an 11 mth old mindee. The 2 older ones sit at the little table together and the 11 mth old in the high chair.

I dont mind them chatting (not that they really know what the other is saying!!:laughing: ) but they often shout, shriek and start being silly with one another. If I tell them to eat nicely and not to muck about, they just carry on straight after.

I am feeling a little stressed with things at the moment and wonder if I am expecting too much of them.:blush: My own children, albeit a lot older, are expected to behave at the dinner table. Yes, we chat but there is no shouting or shireking etc.

So just wanted to know what behaviour you accept at the table during meal times?

Thanks

AliceK
10-05-2010, 11:09 AM
I'm not sure what the answer is but would love to know. I've just had lunch with 3 x 2yr olds and as always they are the same. One starts shrieking they all laugh and join in. One puts their empty plate on their head and they all follow :laughing: . I've tried telling them to stop but they seem to think it's funny. Are we expecting too much of them????

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Tina O
10-05-2010, 11:31 AM
I don't think it's expecting too much for them to sit at a table for mealtimes, but I wouldn't worry too much about them enjoying it and having fun, after all they could be fighting with you to get away all tears and crying..... I would keep telling them about 'sitting' nicely and encouraging it and not allow them to throw food etc, but after all they are only 2 (ish). As long as we reward the good and ignor the bad (to some extent) they will be fine xx:D

venus89
10-05-2010, 11:42 AM
I'm glad you posted this! I have two who are like this. It's only one day a week - all the other days are lovely and calm - but on Fridays we have silly noises, bending down to look at each other under the table etc. I think Tina's right, though - at least they're happily sitting at the table. And if one's sitting well and the other starts I always praise the one sitting well. It doesn't work on the 23 month old but the 3 year old will then stop and go 'I'm sitting nicely too!'

Chell
10-05-2010, 12:55 PM
My DD is 21mths, If she is at the dinner table in her high chair then she gets on and eats and barely says a word. It is my older two that play up! On the other hand, if she is at the little table she can be a pain in the bottom.

How are they used to eating at home? Perhaps they sit in a high chair so are more prone to play about in a chair (not strapped in) and with company to encourage them too.

helenlc
10-05-2010, 12:57 PM
Yes, I must admit they do sit at the table and do not try to run away from it.

I do praise the one that is sitting nicely/eating nicely etc.

I just need to chill out a little but continue to encourage them to be good at the table.

Thanks.:thumbsup: Its a relief to know I am not the only one with LOs mucking around - I though maybe it was just me and I was over reacting and expecting to much!!:blush:

francinejayne
10-05-2010, 12:57 PM
As long as he makes an attempt to eat something, doesn't throw food, and isn't 'too' silly, then i admit that I ignore my son putting his plate on his head etc! I do discourage it, but if it happens I don't make a big thing of it. Most mealtimes result in me singing 'Old Macdonald' and the children taking it in turns to be the animals, so we're quite loud and boisterous at times. It is a fun sociable time, and the children enjoy their time at the table, which I think is the most important thing.
I think they will grow out of it!

The Juggler
10-05-2010, 01:03 PM
I have the opposite, my 2 and 3 year olds behave beautifully (most of the time) it's my 8 year old and 10 year old that are the silly ones. AND i've insisted on good table manners since they were very little but it goes in one ear and out the other - the little ones put them to shame!:laughing: :laughing:

venus89
10-05-2010, 01:07 PM
I have the opposite, my 2 and 3 year olds behave beautifully (most of the time) it's my 8 year old and 10 year old that are the silly ones. AND i've insisted on good table manners since they were very little but it goes in one ear and out the other - the little ones put them to shame!:laughing: :laughing:

That's a point, actually - my own 9 year old has dreadful table manners, despite our best efforts.....