PDA

View Full Version : Obs etc for a 9 month old

Twinklestars
10-05-2010, 10:37 AM
Can someone please give me some advice?

I mind a 9 month old (who is my only mindee) for 2 days a week, do i need to be doing a weekly/monthly plan? most of the day is taken up with sleeps, nappy changes and feeding, although we have roughly 1 1/2 hrs in the morning and after school til 5 to do activities.

For example if i observe he loves chasing balls then note next steps as more ball games or, if i observe he is learning to stand so next step is practising with walker more - where do i log these next steps or do i do this on the weekly plan??

can you have a next step as being outside more as he really enjoys being out and about and quite often we just go for a walk/to feed the ducks for some fresh air and is this knowledge and understanding of the world?

sorry if these are silly questions as i'm starting to panic in case my first inspection is soon.

Fabby
10-05-2010, 12:05 PM
I am just getting to grips with it all myself but after reading lots of posts to try and get my head around it all i think that sounds pretty good to me and you are on the right track. For a child so young you can't really plan week by week month by month etc because they are changing so much and interests and ability changing on a daily basis. Yes you are right in doing the obs and doing the next steps and that is classed as your planning for a child so young.
I hope i am not misadvising you but i am sure someone with alot more experience than me will be along shortly :)

venus89
10-05-2010, 12:15 PM
Can someone please give me some advice?

I mind a 9 month old (who is my only mindee) for 2 days a week, do i need to be doing a weekly/monthly plan? most of the day is taken up with sleeps, nappy changes and feeding, although we have roughly 1 1/2 hrs in the morning and after school til 5 to do activities.

For example if i observe he loves chasing balls then note next steps as more ball games or, if i observe he is learning to stand so next step is practising with walker more - where do i log these next steps or do i do this on the weekly plan??

can you have a next step as being outside more as he really enjoys being out and about and quite often we just go for a walk/to feed the ducks for some fresh air and is this knowledge and understanding of the world?

sorry if these are silly questions as i'm starting to panic in case my first inspection is soon.

Tsk tsk - forum motto: there's no such thing as a silly question!

It sounds like you have a lot of ideas going on there. Remember that you don't have to do next steps for every observation that you do, and sometimes the next step will actually be to repeat the activity again, or so extend it slightly (maybe using a smaller ball next time....)

Being outside definately covers KUW and if I recall correctly in the non stat guidance for EYFS under his age bracket then it says something like displays pleasure at being outdoors..... If you can find that it will give you some next steps ides. Also you can tie that in with using natural resources (lrge stones, pine cones etc) to make a treasure basket with him, or see his reaction to noises outside.

Just remember that there's no right way to do these things. Everyone does it slightly differently and it sounds liek you're doing a good job!