PDA

View Full Version : Have I done the right thing?

Adiamond
10-05-2010, 09:39 AM
I look after M (8) and his brother after school approx 3 times a week, last week M asked me if his dad had given me the bag at school this morning, I said "no, I never saw your dad this morning, why what did you need your bag for?) M answered "it had my psp in it so I have got something to do when I come to your house"

( because there isn't anything to do at my house you know... grrrr) I wasn't too pleased about his comment but this is how he is at the minute, very argumentative and opinionated (sp)
Anyway I said that when I have done the school run in a morning (I take my son to school) I don't always go straight home which would mean leaving the psp in my car and I explained to him that I didn't want my car broken into for the sake of his psp so I said I would rather he didn't send it.........

Well this morning M's mum came up to me in the playground and said "can I give you this?" it was the psp, I am picking M up tonight. I said "I am sorry but I am not going straight home" I then explained why AGAIN she seemed very put out but said "oh ok then"

I feel very strong about things being left in my car which could be stolen as this happened to us about 4 years ago and what a nightmare it was to get the car and insurance all sorted, so I am not willing to risk anything!!!!

Would you have done the same or am I being a bit picky? :blush: :blush: x

Hebs
10-05-2010, 09:43 AM
i have a strict NO TOYS FROM HOME POLICY esp expensive electronic games... as i dont want to be held responsible if they get damaged :thumbsup:

Merry-Minder
10-05-2010, 09:47 AM
I think thats absolutely fair enough.

The children I care for are not old enough for things like that, but if they were I wouldnt allow them either, I would feel really guilty if they got broken in my house.

xxx

Mouse
10-05-2010, 09:52 AM
Personally I wouldn't have minded & would have tucked it out of site in the car. If it couldn't be seen and the car was broken into, it wouldn't be because of the PSP, IYSWIM. I think telling mindee that you don't want your car broken into for the sake of his PSP is a bit harsh and would have worded it that you don't want to take responsibility for an expensive toy, should the car be broken into.

But, it's your business & your rules. If you've decided you don't want them bringing the PSP & have explained why, then the parents should respect that. We all work differently & to different rules and there are no rights or wrongs with things like this. You have to do what you feel is right for you.

Toothfairy
10-05-2010, 09:59 AM
I have a no toys/games from home rule. It saves so many arguments! :thumbsup:

wendywu
10-05-2010, 11:25 AM
I dont mind the older ones bringing their PSP as long as i am not held responsible for them.

If they get broken then thats down to them. It would be the same if it got stolen from my car :)

cuffleygirl
10-05-2010, 11:37 AM
Absolutely with :thumbsup: Wendy

Tina O
10-05-2010, 11:38 AM
Think you have done the right thing, I wouldn't like the worry of looking after expensive toys of the mindee's! no matter how much parents say it will be alright, they will turn if it is stolen, broken etc and ask you to buy new one, stick to your guns......... ;)

The Juggler
10-05-2010, 01:11 PM
I don't have any afterschoolies bringing PSP's as I know they won't get shared and it'll cause arguments. I also wouldn't have wanted to have responsibility for it durign the day - because I'm such a ditz about remembering stuff!

So, I would have done the same as you.

venus89
10-05-2010, 01:30 PM
I don't look after school aged children (:clapping: ) but I'd be worried it would get broken at home. For the little ones I say that if they bring something in they have to be prepared to share it, or else it goes in the bag and stays there. But a PSP is an expensive thing to get broken.

Because it's your business it is your rules but to svae this cropping up again it might be wise to send out a letter advising parents that you don't want the children to bring in items from home because of x, y and z?

Adiamond
10-05-2010, 06:17 PM
Thanx everyone, all I can say is that I have pretty much been ignored for 3 hours this evening by M!!!!! he is very moody at the minute anyway!!!!!!
I explained to him AGAIN why I didn't accept the psp off mum and I got "the look"
Aww well haven't got them again until Thursday :) x x