PDA

View Full Version : Been a bit dipsy - but think I've got it sorted now!

Cazz
09-05-2010, 10:26 PM
After much deliberating (most of the day :rolleyes:) about meal charges and quoting for a possible new contract this is what I'm planning to do:-

I am going to put my hourly rate up to £3.50 per hour to include all food and drinks.

The quote would be collecting a child from nursery at 12.00pm and then his older brother at 3.00pm and minding both until 5.30pm. The school is 5.5 miles away so I would be making 2 trips a day which equates to 110 miles per week.

I plan to quote £3.90 per hour per child (to allow for travelling expenses) but if minding is required on a day when a parent drops off AND collects my normal hourly rate of £3.50 per hour would apply. I would charge no retainer for the school holidays (mum is a teacher) as I am charging a higher hourly rate in term time.

(Here's where I've been dipsy - after speaking to another childminder who suggested the £3.50 per hour inclusive rate I verbally quoted to the childminder who knows this parent really well (and passed it to me) £3.50 per hour and a 50% retainer in the school holidays. I've since realised that if this is going to be my normal hourly rate I'm effectively going to be travelling 110 miles a week for nothing :eek: I have put this new quote in writing and will give it to her at the childminding group tomorrow morning as she is seeing her friend tomorrow evening).

Do you think this sounds acceptable? I hope the parent isn't put off by the fact I'm suddenly increasing my fees by £16.00 per week (although she will save £70.00 per week in the school holidays so it will work out cheaper for her over the 12 months).

Monkey1
10-05-2010, 04:52 AM
Wouldn't you be better off though if you charged the retainer in the holidays? Surely if shes willing to pay, you would be better off in the long run. 110 miles is a lot, but you are writing off that at 40p a mile so that is a big chunk out of your fees for tax (but it doesn't cost that much) IYSWIM????

The Juggler
10-05-2010, 06:22 AM
Also I don't know what the average fee is in your area hon but I was charging £4/hour and have just added food on top because food shopping has got so expensive. Even charging now i'm barely covering the cost of what I provide. I would think again about including food charges. I thought long and hard about it but it makes such a difference now having the £30 per week towards food.

I just worked out the days they were here, minused my holiday weeks, then totalled it/divided by 12 and added it on to the monthly fee. You can always refund for sickness/their holidays if they are worried about paying when not with you.

Cazz
10-05-2010, 01:34 PM
Right - I'm going for £3.80 per hour for anyone outside my town and if the child gets dropped off and collected at my home (i.e. teacher training days and school holidays) it will be £3.50 per hour.

I've phoned NCMA and they confirmed that I can charge a higher hourly rate (she said you can charge whatever you like as long as it's in the contract) and I can also put mileage through on my expenses.

I'm not going to charge a retainer in the holidays as I'm charging this way - I quite like the idea of having some days off in the holidays with my own children.

Sorted at last I think - it's only taken about 24 hours!! :laughing:

huggableshelly
10-05-2010, 01:45 PM
wow only 24 hours ... I take much longer than that to come up with summin I'm happy with LOL

food wise ... I offer cold foods inclusive of my fees, hot meals are an additional fee so summin else for you to think about.

charging for hot meals kinda covers the food and the cost of your kitchen appliences too! I offer hot meals at £3.00 this includes a desert ... funny parents do not wish to pay so no hot meals are provided yay for me!