PDA

View Full Version : Does this sound ok?

snufflepuff
08-05-2010, 08:49 PM
I have just been going through LOs learning journal for the first time and was wondering if you could let me know if this sounds ok- i want to make sure im getting it right from the start!
Heres what i have in it:

All about me sheet filled in by parents
Baseline observations- taken from the all about me sheet and things i have noted during her first few weeks
Artwork
Photographs
One full observation per month
A handfull of short observations- just things i have jotted down, wow moments etc

Each thing in there is linked to the EYFS- i was wondering, how do you reference it? I have just used a red pen so i know its for my information, and i have written, for example PD, A, 3 (i went through my EYFS book and labelled each bit- PD is obviously the area of learning, the letters corrospond to the heading accross the top and the number corrosponds to each point in the grid under 'development matters') is this ok or do i need to write out the whole thing each time? eg physical development, movement and space, make strong and purposeful movements .......

hope that makes sense!

sarah707
08-05-2010, 09:03 PM
I reference using letters and numbers as well!

PD3, psed4 etc.

It saves heaps of time and is perfectly understandable as I have a list at the front of each child's file showing what it means!

Anything to save time we are busy enough :D

You don't say whether your obs are linked to next steps / individual planning ideas?

snufflepuff
08-05-2010, 09:32 PM
Thank you Sarah
Yes sorry i missed that bit out- i have the childs individual planning in there and on that it shows what activities we did each week, how it went, next steps and a link to EYFS. The full observation has some next steps on it, some of the shorter obs do too but others dont- should they all have a next step?

sarah707
08-05-2010, 10:45 PM
Some say yes... some say no...

I say it depends on the observation.

Some obs lead automatically to a next step while some are stand alone wow or fab moments.

I think it's a mistake to follow every single thing a child says with an idea for something else...

The poor child might just be making a comment about cows and suddenly find himself surrounded by farmyards and Old MacDonald puppets and books about animals etc when it was just a passing comment :laughing:

Hth :D

snufflepuff
09-05-2010, 05:23 PM
Some obs lead automatically to a next step while some are stand alone wow or fab moments.

Thats exactly what i have found- some obs just dont seem to have anywhere to go, others have an obvious continuation.
Thank you for your help Sarah