PDA

View Full Version : Trampoline problem

francinejayne
07-05-2010, 10:17 PM
I have a trampoline in my garden that is my daughters - bought pre-childminding. My parents have signed a trampoline permission form and so far my 5 year old mindee has been using the trampoline without any problems.

I read Sarah's comment in another thread about a 5 year old having an accident on the trampoline, and the parents suing the CM even though she had their written permission for their child to use the equipment, as the manufacturer's guidance states minimum age of 6. Then Ofsted closed the CM down.

So I have now made the decision to not let under 6 year old mindees use the trampoline - I am going to inform parents this weekend prior to the child coming to me on Monday so he is pre-warned!

BUT

my problem is that my son uses the trampoline and he is 2!! I am completely happy that he uses it, he is supervised and I feel that he is safe. I do not really want to stop him using it, I don't feel it is fair. But then is it fair that he does?! IYSWIM!

Help and advise please!

Thanks!

aly
07-05-2010, 10:23 PM
it is hard isnt it .

I got rid of mine last year as my daughter fractured her knee on the trampoline :panic::panic::panic:..feel guilty for my boys but couldnt take the risk again to anyone.

It has put me off them but everyone is different .

Gizmo
07-05-2010, 10:25 PM
I have a trampoline and when I am minding it is out of bounds or broken for the los my own 2 can still jump when the mindees are away and they love it cos its theirs

sweets
08-05-2010, 06:48 AM
its a hard one really but personally i dont think its fair to let your own children on while the mindees are there if they cant go on it!

explain to your children its for after working hours only, if they dont except that then i think i woulld get rid. (the trampoline not the children!) lol

wendywu
08-05-2010, 07:20 AM
[
QUOTE=sweets;703615]its a hard one really but personally i dont think its fair to let your own children on while the mindees are there if they cant go on it!

explain to your children its for after working hours only, if they dont except that then i think i woulld get rid. (the trampoline not the children!) lol[/QUOTE]

I agree you cannot let your son on it aged 2 while the mindees are there aged 5. :(

singlewiththree
08-05-2010, 07:29 AM
I let the school mindees on with permission as I think we are in a mad state if we can't just because 1 parent sued in a population on millions :angry: I have permission from parents and I'm not going to change because of 1 parent!

christine e
08-05-2010, 08:29 AM
I let the school mindees on with permission as I think we are in a mad state if we can't just because 1 parent sued in a population on millions :angry: I have permission from parents and I'm not going to change because of 1 parent!

I think the big thing is that your insurance could well be invalidated if there was an accident, if your insurance wouldn't pay up then you could be faced with a large bill if you couldn't afford to pay then you could be paying in installments for years to come!

Christine

Zoomie
08-05-2010, 09:25 AM
My DD has her scooter etc which she cannot use during minded hours. She is 2.5 and very understanding. BUT these have been the rules from the beginning.

Ripeberry
08-05-2010, 09:36 AM
I had a trampoline, my kids liked using it pre-childminding. But when I started minding in September I locked up the net and it stayed locked. My kids did not even mind not using it, so I eventually got rid of it as it was taking up valuable space.
I'm getting a nice climbing frame and slide instead this summer :)
The TP 'Wacky Wigwam' looks good :thumbsup:

aly
08-05-2010, 10:21 AM
My DD has her scooter etc which she cannot use during minded hours. She is 2.5 and very understanding. BUT these have been the rules from the beginning.

I wouldnt stop mine using their scooters!.

I did buy the mindees some from argos as they were on offer 2 for £15

The Juggler
08-05-2010, 10:35 AM
I think the big thing is that your insurance could well be invalidated if there was an accident, if your insurance wouldn't pay up then you could be faced with a large bill if you couldn't afford to pay then you could be paying in installments for years to come!

Christine

I agree with both of you, it's madness we're afraid to let the kids use equipment we've got but if we are using it you have to stick to exactly the guidelines for use (age/one at a time /no somersaults) or insurance wouldn't be valid - sign of the times:(

Toothfairy
08-05-2010, 10:44 AM
We have taken ours down this year, my two older DD's 13 & 15 don't use it anymore and my DD 6 only ever wants to use it if her friends go on with her, which I don't allow incase they clash.

It was also unfair for the older mindees to use it and the younger ones would cry because they were not allowed a go.

So to stop all argueing we took it down.

Not one of the mindees have asked where the trampoline has gone!

RachelE
08-05-2010, 10:59 AM
I must be really mean! - I still have mine and my almost 4 yr old dd and my 8 yr old ds use it.

I say unless they are 6 and over or their parents are here, then they cannot go on it.

My 2 love it and have to make many sacrifices, so would feel a bit mean saying that they couldnt use it during minding time.

I only have a 2X 2yr olds during the day and after school, so they are ok, will reassess when get older ones in Sept.

But, under no circumstances are under 6's allowed on - its just not worth it.

Rachel x

atmkids
08-05-2010, 12:52 PM
I had the same problem and wouldn't let under 6's on during minding hours apart from my ds who was 5. I felt sorry for the little ones so I've just bought one from Argos for 3-6 year olds for just under £50. All of my pre-schoolers are either 3 or 4 so now they can all join in the fun.

mushpea
08-05-2010, 01:46 PM
I wouldnt let anyone under the age of 6yrs use it whilst you are minding then its fair,, I have lots of toys here, some they older ones know they are not allowed on as they are too big and some that the younger ones are not allowed to use as they are too small, so it sort of works it self out in the end, but i would think it unfair that a 2 ryold can go on it when your telling a 5yrold no as they are not old enough.

francinejayne
08-05-2010, 05:20 PM
Thanks to everyone for your replies! I agree with all of them?!?! And they all contradict each other!!! :panic:

I think I'm going to implement a no under 6 policy during minding hours and hope my little one goes with it without too much trouble. I have ladders that he uses to climb onto it, so if I remove them he just can't get on by himself!!

at times like this I wish we didn't have one, but I'm not prepared to get rid of it as it's my daughters!

little_gems
08-05-2010, 10:13 PM
we have just brought a trampoline. we only let our 2 children on it. Its for weekend and after we've finished work. A few of the mindees have moaned but i've stuck to my guns and now they've stoped asking. I just said that it was our children's and i didnt have permision from thier parents.

Hope you dont think i'm mean

francinejayne
09-05-2010, 03:01 PM
we have just brought a trampoline. we only let our 2 children on it. Its for weekend and after we've finished work. A few of the mindees have moaned but i've stuck to my guns and now they've stoped asking. I just said that it was our children's and i didnt have permision from thier parents.

Hope you dont think i'm mean

No, I wish I hadn't sought the permission of my parents!

Pipsqueak
09-05-2010, 03:07 PM
No, I wish I hadn't sought the permission of my parents!

I have recently 'revoked' permissions of parents for children of any age to go on the trampoline. My own are only allowed on it when there are no minded children here - end of.

beerheaven
09-05-2010, 03:45 PM
I am very wary of trampolines as my dd broke her leg when she was 4 on one.

We do have a trampoline but it is not used when I am minding. My kids, 10, 6 and 2 are ok with that rule and make the most of it outside my work hours.

I tell the mindees about the 6 and over rule and how unfair it would be if some were allowed on and not others.

AliceK
09-05-2010, 04:18 PM
I must be really mean! - I still have mine and my almost 4 yr old dd and my 8 yr old ds use it.

I say unless they are 6 and over or their parents are here, then they cannot go on it.

My 2 love it and have to make many sacrifices, so would feel a bit mean saying that they couldnt use it during minding time.

I only have a 2X 2yr olds during the day and after school, so they are ok, will reassess when get older ones in Sept.

But, under no circumstances are under 6's allowed on - its just not worth it.

Rachel x

I agree with this and this is what I do too. I will not stop my DS using it when he's at home. He makes too many other sacrifices. None of my mindees are allowed on it (they are not 6). I don't think it's fair to stop my own DS using it, it is his after all.

xxxxxxxx

Dragonfly
09-05-2010, 05:28 PM
I know my problem is nothing to do with big trampolines but whilst we are on the subject. I have a small trampoline the sort for 3 years olds and below with the handle.the elastic has snapped I cant find where to get a new elastic:( it is by chad valley (woolies) does anyone know where i can get a replacement?