PDA

View Full Version : Tutor gives me a D

bakingmama
24-03-2008, 07:33 AM
Hi All,

Don't know if you remember me as I am a new member a don't tend to post much. Anyway I am doing the DHC at home through the NEC college, I have to send in two assignments per level then do the Cache exam. I have now completed unit 3 and my tutor recommends I get a D, I worked sooo hard, I feel she is very criticall and she makes comments about the way I conduct my business when she has no idea of what I say or do. For instance I said in one of my assignments that I had a father who challenged me on how much I charged per hour when they recieved their 1st invoice, I explained that I was clear from the start when I met the parents and discussed the childcare what my hourly rate is, and that I give parents a perspectus. When she marked my assignment she said perhaps I wasn't clear enough of what my rate was, and that maybe it was only the father present so perhaps I should have been clear to both parents. I feel she is being very picky and that I did explain myself, should she be making comments like this? I have just started on level 4 and guess she will tear my work apart for that aswell, apparently I am one of her first students so maybe that's why she is criticall becuse she also wants to make a good impression of herself to Cach, unless I'm just usless, because that's how I feel, but I do feel I am a good childminder and all the children in my care enjoy themselves, I'm just not very good at putting words on paper. ::(

Tatia
24-03-2008, 08:04 AM
I'm sorry you're feeling down about your course. Have you tried asking your tutor for a meeting to discuss how you feel? That would be the best thing. Then you can explain your POV, listen to her's and maybe there's a way you can reach a ompromise together. That should be your first course of action. If you still feel she is being unfair, then I think you can probably appeal to the college but I'd try talking to tutor first.

Good luck! It is disheartening when you try your best and someone knocks it.

sarah707
24-03-2008, 09:10 AM
One of my tutors is soooo picky! She marks my punctuation and how I use references more than the text so I know how you feel.

I know with OU if I were really unhappy, I could ask to change tutor without giving a reason... can you do that?

Alternatively, I suggest you have a meeting with her and talk through your concerns. You obviously want to succeed but you feel your tutor is holding you back and you are ready to give up because of her pickiness and that is not what they are there for... they are supposed to be supporting you and giving you ideas for a way forward...

Do you know anyone who is doing the same course who could let you see their essay? That way you could gauge if your work is drastically different from anyone elses...

Good luck Anne :D

angeldelight
24-03-2008, 09:32 AM
Sorry Ann

Not much to add really good advice given already

Just hope you are ok and sorry that you are down

Good luck with this

Angel xx

Annie_T
24-03-2008, 09:55 AM
oh hun dont get let her get u down, i understand tho but hey you could defeat what she says and get a better mark than a D - you never know.
maybe you neee dtalk to her 1 to 1 ... and as for saying how u conduct your business thats wrong if sh enot know how u do conduct it etc. keep smiling tho hun x

tinkerbell_85
24-03-2008, 12:44 PM
Good luck anne, hope you sort this out.

Let us know how you get on. xxx

Kelly
24-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Hi Anne

I am sorry to hear that you are having problems with your tutor, I definitely think it is worth discussing with your tutor where it is she thinks you could improve. When I was doing my level 3 I struggled a bit, as my tutor said I wrote like I spoke! when I spoke to my tutor she said that because of this I did tend to repeat myself and I was not clear and concise enough, sometimes missing the main points. I have recently starting tutoring and find that lots of people do it. Do you have someone that could read your assignments through for you before you send them. I always get my husband to do it, he hasn't got a clue about childcare, but can tell if it makes sense.

Hope this makes sense, I am not trying to say your work was wrong, your tutor may well have been unfair, but I would want anyone on one of my courses to ring me and discuss any problems.

Kelly

miffy
24-03-2008, 03:29 PM
I agree with the others I would have a meeting with your tutor to see if you can sort out what she wants from you.

She should be there to offer you help and support

good luck

miffy xx

ruby
24-03-2008, 07:06 PM
Sorry you are having problems with your tutor

as the others have said she should be supporting you and helping you

i agree that you should try and have a chat with her one to one

hope you get this sorted out soon

cathy

katickles
24-03-2008, 07:46 PM
No other advice to give - just wanted to say that i hope you get it sorted out, sounds like she's being a bit unfair to me. :group hug:

Lou
24-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Just catching up sorry...

agree with whats been said already, you need to meet with tutor and discuss your worries xxx

elaineg
24-03-2008, 09:57 PM
Has your tutor given you the option to resubmit your assignments to get better mark, we were told on our course if we werent happy they would go through our work with us and let us know where we were going wrong and then we could resubmit it and hopefully get a better mark.

love Elaine XXX

Mollymop
24-03-2008, 10:32 PM
Just wanted to say good luck and I hope it works out ok for you X