PDA

View Full Version : Mum going on maternity leave - advice re retainer needed

bexcee
07-05-2010, 06:45 PM
One of my mindee's mum is pregnant. She goes on maternity leave at the beginning of October (due end of Oct) and has asked me to keep childminding until the baby is born and then she won't be needing me again until June (when she returns to work) when she wants me to have the new baby and the little girl I currently childmind.

Now that is all fine, but while I have the spaces etc at the moment I can't guarantee them for June. She has said she can afford to pay a 50% retainer for one space between november and june but not two retainers.

Has anyone else been in this situation? They are a lovely family and I would really like to carry on but on the other hand I will be getting half fee for two full time places. I had thought she might continue to send the little girl while she is on maternity leave but she said that as she is at home she will keep her with her

What do you suggest I do?

Ripeberry
07-05-2010, 07:38 PM
Very hard as they are basically asking you to keep a space open for nothing.
What if new work came along? You would end up losing out and what if they did not carry on with you?
My mindee's mum is due to have a new baby in July and from June he is reducing his hours from 27hrs to only 15hrs and it's most likely that his mum will take full maternity (9 months).
She said I would still have him for 15hrs a week, but I'm hoping that if I have an enquiry for a baby, then I will still be able to have one and by the time the 9 months is up then my baby space will be open.
Never works out that well does it?
I would charge a retainer, could she go up to maybe 70 or 80% retainer for both children together?
Otherwise, she will have to take her chances if you do take on a new mindee.

bexcee
08-05-2010, 06:42 PM
Thanks for your reply. I am rubbish at talking money with any of the parents and tend to just give in to whatever they want :blush: I must start thinking of this as a business or I will never make any money!
She's coming over early next week to discuss things so going to try and work out what I think is acceptable and then write it all out so I don't get distracted and agree to anything I shouldn't!

Bushpig
08-05-2010, 09:37 PM
This is far too long a time for such an arrangement... I am surprised she even thinks you'd consider accepting a quarter of what she usually pays you... imagine her boss told her he'd pay her less for 6 months? We all have bills to pay.

It's up to you as to what you can afford of course, but as there are two vacancies involved, and such a long length of time btwn care, I wouldn't do it... unless I got a 50% fee for each child, and was pretty sure I could get a short term child for the imbetween period.... through emergencycare.co.uk or something.

Shar
09-05-2010, 06:45 AM
I have the same situation at the moment. Mum going on maternity leave in July and wants me to have new baby and 18m mindee back in April. I told her that if i can I will but can't keep places for her without a 50% retainer. This would also mean I will need a variation in April for the new baby which I don't want to do. I can't charge her a retainer for the new baby without having the space.

The Juggler
09-05-2010, 08:45 AM
I have the same situation at the moment. Mum going on maternity leave in July and wants me to have new baby and 18m mindee back in April. I told her that if i can I will but can't keep places for her without a 50% retainer. This would also mean I will need a variation in April for the new baby which I don't want to do. I can't charge her a retainer for the new baby without having the space.

it's also a long time to only be getting half pay:(

bexcee
11-05-2010, 12:22 PM
Well she's just been... I told her that I couldn't keep two places open for 8 months for a quarter of what I could potentially earn. I think she's decided to terminate the contract at the end of October and then take her chances that I will have two places available in June. Am feeling quite sad to be losing the litle girl but I am running a business and not a charity and need to think long term about it. Maybe we will both get lucky and I can take them back on again in June.

Shar
11-05-2010, 12:25 PM
I think that was the best thing to do all round. I did the same. :thumbsup:

The Juggler
11-05-2010, 01:11 PM
me too! I sobbed and mum sobbed but I couldn't afford to keep the places and she couldn't afford to pay any sort of retainer. It's hard hon but it'll all work out for the best and if you don't have spaces then you can help her fidn someone.x

emmaflossie
11-05-2010, 03:57 PM
im having same problem apart from its my cousin im dealing with.... they are planning on having a baby now but wants me to keep a place open for her ... im not worried about place for baby as i wont be filling all places anyway... she has said she may be able to afford to still pay me but she will only be having 5 months off so im wondering what you all normally do??

SYLVIA
11-05-2010, 08:38 PM
Reading these posts, I have to say that I have been really luck. I've had 3 mums in the past year go on maternity leave. Each one has asked for a place for the new ones bt have left the original LO with me throughout their maternity leave.

bexcee
11-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Reading these posts, I have to say that I have been really luck. I've had 3 mums in the past year go on maternity leave. Each one has asked for a place for the new ones bt have left the original LO with me throughout their maternity leave.

That's what I was hoping they would do but they said they need to build up the childcare vouchers while she is on maternity leave to pay me once she returns to work!

twiggy
11-05-2010, 09:40 PM
I have a mum going on maternity leave in Oct. The child is with me 3 days a week and I am considering suggesting the child comes to me 1 day a week for me to hold a place whilst she is on maternity leave. It would keep the child in contact with me and would hopefully make it easier for me to get a variation for the new sibling. It would also give mum time on her own with the new baby.

bexcee
11-05-2010, 09:53 PM
I have a mum going on maternity leave in Oct. The child is with me 3 days a week and I am considering suggesting the child comes to me 1 day a week for me to hold a place whilst she is on maternity leave. It would keep the child in contact with me and would hopefully make it easier for me to get a variation for the new sibling. It would also give mum time on her own with the new baby.

Good idea but then you are losing two days wages, whichever way I look at it you just can't win :rolleyes:

juejue
11-05-2010, 10:10 PM
I'm was the same as Sylva,
I had a mums and she kept the little ones with me 3 days until she went back to work and then I took the baby on as well. I had to turn work away but it was only for a few months. so I didn't mind. I know for sure I was having the baby
x