PDA

View Full Version : nappy off to start potty training?

charliegee
06-05-2010, 08:03 AM
hello all - wondering if I could pick your brains!

parent drops off little one today and says they have started potty training.

I don't think this little one is nearly ready and I have them usually 3 days a week

parent arrives this morning (didn't have them yesterday like usual) and says they have started potty training and would like me to let the little one go around house all times (unless we're off to toddlers / softplay etc) without a nappy and offer potty frequently?!

Is this what you guys do?!

x

Mouse
06-05-2010, 08:15 AM
Is that what parents are doing at home? You often find they're not. They leave the nappy on at home, but expect you to be the one to potty train the child :rolleyes:

I would decide what suits you best (leaving the nappy off, taking it off at regular times & sitting the child on the potty etc) and tell parents that you need to discuss in detail with them what methods they are using at home. You need to have continuity between your house & the child's home, but you do need to tell them what will work for you & what won't.

I wouldn't be happy just leaving the nappy off - you're likely to end up with mess everywhere! Explain to parents what you have done/are prepared to do and take it from there. Or, leave the nappy off for a while, but after X number of accidents, put it back on & say you tried.

youarewhatyoueat
06-05-2010, 08:22 AM
Er no thats not what I would do, can't beleive they haven't spoken to you!!!
I would expect a bit of warning that the parents were going to start potty training, I am glad to carry on the training but not until the child was at least reliable for a few days at home, or at the very least had done a few weekends worth at home.
I usually send the potty I use here home so the parents can use it and get the child used to it.
I wouldn't let the child run around with out pants on, at the very least pants contain the worst.I am prepared for accidents and am happy to deal with them but we carry on with our normal routine which means going to toddlers etc.
For me the potty stays in the toilet downstairs and If I have a bit of warning from the parent I can have it there for a few weeks getting them used to it.
When did they start?? as its now thursday have they been doing it since last week, maybe its been going well.

PixiePetal
06-05-2010, 08:23 AM
I don't do bare bottoms in my house, not really hygienic for everyone else! Also they need to know the feeling with pants on.

Pants on at least and pull down trousers/trackies for going out. I ask for a nappy or two for bus journeys at the beginning as we use buses a lot - can't have accidents on bus seats :rolleyes: Take it off when we get to wherever we are going and straight onto potty then pants on for toddler group etc.

Some parents expect us to perform miracles when they are not doing the same at home. Needs good parental communication:) .

diamond
06-05-2010, 08:39 AM
I agree that the potty should be kept in the toilet as thats what they have to get used too. It's not nice for you to have children running around without their nappies on. I tell the parents that I will continue potty training after they have had at least 5 days at home with their parents training and that the child is progressing well. Sometimes it means that the parents will have to take holiday from work, but surely it is worth it for them.
Parents have to remember this is your home and you dont want it smelling of wee!!!!!!!

breezy
06-05-2010, 09:49 AM
I ask parents to start at home for at least afew days and if it goes well, then I carry on. The potty stays in the downstairs loo and we dress normally!!
If they are unreliable out and about I occasionally use pull ups, but dont like them!
If it isnt working and i feel child isnt ready I discuss it and we try again at a later date, dont be dictated to about what you should do though x

miffy
06-05-2010, 10:17 AM
You didn't mention how old this child is? But you did say you didn't think they are ready for toilet training...................

Sometimes parents just decide their child is ready to be toilet trained, put them in pants and deliver them to us so we get all the running around and the mess :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be doing anything until you've talked through with mum what they have been doing at home and how it's worked. I like parents to spend at least one week potty training before I have the child (especially if I don't think they're ready) and then I'll take it from there if it's going OK.

I wouldn't want a child running round with nothing on - you can't be everywhere and you have other children to see to as well. Pull-ups aren't great but they do save some mess. I've used them over pants so that the child can feel they're wet but I don't have the mess to clean up.

Miffy xx

Bushpig
06-05-2010, 10:20 AM
I ask parents to start at home for at least afew days and if it goes well, then I carry on. The potty stays in the downstairs loo and we dress normally!!
If they are unreliable out and about I occasionally use pull ups, but dont like them!
If it isnt working and i feel child isnt ready I discuss it and we try again at a later date, dont be dictated to about what you should do though x

Ditto :thumbsup:

The Juggler
06-05-2010, 11:20 AM
No, no, no! No bare bottoms.... children can't go to toddlers in bare bottoms or walk to school and they need to learn when they need to go in clothes or out of them.

Plus clothes mop up and awful lot of wee when they have an accident:laughing: :laughing:

funfunfun
06-05-2010, 10:30 PM
Id exspect lots of pants and spare clothes

should pre warn you and discuuss first though :)