PDA

View Full Version : Planning permission!!!

ddw
05-05-2010, 08:52 PM
Hi not been on for a while, but thought I would come back and ask for some advice if thats ok.
Planning permission, I have applied, turns out that if you mind with an assistant then you need planning permission. So the application is in and we are going through the process.
2 neighbours have complained about the increased traffic bought into the close, I am off to read there objections in the morning.
My question is, is there anyone that has applied and what happened. Am begining to wish I hadn't now but was worried if I didn't one day something might go wrong!
Could do with some advice as to what to expect as its driving me crazy.
Thankyou for reading
DI x

christine e
06-05-2010, 05:43 AM
Hi not been on for a while, but thought I would come back and ask for some advice if thats ok.
Planning permission, I have applied, turns out that if you mind with an assistant then you need planning permission. So the application is in and we are going through the process.
2 neighbours have complained about the increased traffic bought into the close, I am off to read there objections in the morning.
My question is, is there anyone that has applied and what happened. Am begining to wish I hadn't now but was worried if I didn't one day something might go wrong!
Could do with some advice as to what to expect as its driving me crazy.
Thankyou for reading
DI x

Sorry can't help but bumping up hopefully someone else around who can help

Christine

suzyblue
06-05-2010, 06:10 AM
I applied and was turned down three times due to a neighbour that lied about noise and cars parked across her drive she didnt even live on my road, her garden just backed onto mine but she was the local busy body. Anyway I had to appeal in the end - I did this myself, got photos to prove that kids couldnt hang over her fence etc and I got letters from immediate neighbours with their support. Also letters from parents explaining the need for child care in the area etc. Anyway I won the appeal but it took about 2 years in total. I also had to pave my front garden to provide parking spaces and provided a daily time list of parents drop offs and pick ups. We had quite a few siblings at the time too so that helped with two kids being dropped off in one car etc.
Good luck!

sarah707
06-05-2010, 06:43 AM
That's the reason why I didn't up my numbers when dp started working with me.

I didn't want my neighbours poking into my business telling me what I could and could not do.

If you stay at the usual ratio of 6 you don't need to apply - according to my LA anyway.

I hope it's resolved for you quickly :D

ddw
06-05-2010, 06:48 AM
Thank you for your help, will keep you up to date with how I get on
Di x

little_gems
06-05-2010, 10:34 AM
That's the reason why I didn't up my numbers when dp started working with me.

I didn't want my neighbours poking into my business telling me what I could and could not do.

If you stay at the usual ratio of 6 you don't need to apply - according to my LA anyway.

I hope it's resolved for you quickly :D

is it 6 minded children or 6 including your own????

louisepretty
06-05-2010, 01:23 PM
I applied a few years ago as I was working with 2 assistants and Ofsted gave us permission to care for 8 children. We had been looking after the children for 2 years when I put the planning application in.

I used a planning consultant to handle my application. Lots of neighbours objected citing noise and traffic as the objections. I had a 65 signature petition in support but our local councillor said there was no need for a childmindind service on our estate.

We didn't get permission and although I could have appealed the stress at the time was not worth it for 2 extra children. I reduced my numbers of mindees and had to lose 1 of my assistants.

The worst thing though came out of the blue - I assumed that I would then be OK to carry on with 6 children, but the council wrote to me to say I was not allowed to mind at all at the premises. Not even 1 child. They even sent an enforcement officer round to make sure that I knew I had to cease minding within 28 days. We had to sell the house and we rented somewhere so I could continue to mind in the meantime and provide continuity of care for the children.

4 years on I now have a lovely home, I mind 6 children with another childminder and I have not applied for planning.

Your council may be more forgiving than mine, it was an horrendous experience and one I wouldn't want to go through again. This all sounds really negative and I'm sorry if I've worried you more but be prepared that if they say no they may say NO to childminding at all. It's a can of worms that is sometimes best left unopened and Ofsted don't need you to have planning if its 6 children or less!

Good luck :)

sarah707
06-05-2010, 05:25 PM
is it 6 minded children or 6 including your own????

It's 6 minded children :D

ddw
09-05-2010, 04:36 PM
I applied a few years ago as I was working with 2 assistants and Ofsted gave us permission to care for 8 children. We had been looking after the children for 2 years when I put the planning application in.

I used a planning consultant to handle my application. Lots of neighbours objected citing noise and traffic as the objections. I had a 65 signature petition in support but our local councillor said there was no need for a childmindind service on our estate.

We didn't get permission and although I could have appealed the stress at the time was not worth it for 2 extra children. I reduced my numbers of mindees and had to lose 1 of my assistants.

The worst thing though came out of the blue - I assumed that I would then be OK to carry on with 6 children, but the council wrote to me to say I was not allowed to mind at all at the premises. Not even 1 child. They even sent an enforcement officer round to make sure that I knew I had to cease minding within 28 days. We had to sell the house and we rented somewhere so I could continue to mind in the meantime and provide continuity of care for the children.

4 years on I now have a lovely home, I mind 6 children with another childminder and I have not applied for planning.

Your council may be more forgiving than mine, it was an horrendous experience and one I wouldn't want to go through again. This all sounds really negative and I'm sorry if I've worried you more but be prepared that if they say no they may say NO to childminding at all. It's a can of worms that is sometimes best left unopened and Ofsted don't need you to have planning if its 6 children or less!

Good luck :)

My god, thats was awful! You try and do things right and that happens!!!! I should hear from them next week some time, but it is such a worrying time. I wish I hadn't started it all
Glad everything has worked out well for you in the end
Di x

miffy
09-05-2010, 04:53 PM

DI x

Do you get a chance to answer their concerns/complaints before a decision is made?

Miffy xx

ddw
09-05-2010, 05:00 PM
Do you get a chance to answer their concerns/complaints before a decision is made?

Miffy xx

I dont think they are too worried about the neighbours as they weren't on the original list to be told about it. However they will take their concerns on board I think. I have read the complaints, but dont think they will react too much on them.
The problem I have is because I work with an assistant I can care for a total of 18 children at any one time, but still in keeping with my ratios, This doesn't happen very often but could. The council have just seen 18 and are not sure about it. Its to do with the number of cars that come in and out as well.
Just have to wait and see what happens I guess
Di x

The Juggler
09-05-2010, 05:34 PM
My god, thats was awful! You try and do things right and that happens!!!! I should hear from them next week some time, but it is such a worrying time. I wish I hadn't started it all
Glad everything has worked out well for you in the end
Di x

do they even have the right to stop you minding in your own home!!! that's shocking - if planning permission isn't needed then how can they tell you 'no'. what an awful experience.

suzyblue
12-05-2010, 09:45 AM
After I applied for planning permission the enforcement officer got in touch saying that he had received a report on his desk stating that I couldnt use any of the extension for minding. This was half the house and included the kitchen, downstairs loo, door to the outside etc. The enforcement office thought it was ludicrous and he objected to the council for me. I had endured 2 years of very stressful building work and another 2 years of fighting for planning permission (for extra children which I needed to pay for my now very large mortgage). The councillors just decided to do what they could to stop me. One had said at a meeting that he wouldnt want me living next to him - they are all well to do people living in large house who dont have a clue about the service we provide. Anyway, I fought on (I had no choice really) and won eventually.

ddw
13-05-2010, 07:27 PM
Planning, what a nightmare. Decision to be made, DO I REDUCE MY NUMBERS OR FIND A BUILDING TO RENT AS TO NOT LET ANYONE DOWN.
Any advice will be really welcome
I don't know what to do
:eek:

CHUNKY MONKEY
14-05-2010, 10:42 AM
:eek: Didn't realise all of this new to me :eek:

singlewiththree
14-05-2010, 11:15 AM
It's 6 minded children :D

I didn't know that Sarah, will 3 of my own that would mean I can have 9 in my house before anyone objects :)

Chatterbox Childcare
14-05-2010, 11:16 AM
I think it all depends on your own council. Ours do not want to know

mum26
15-05-2010, 12:02 PM
I know when I started childminding back in 2004 I was told by icp tutor that we needed to get in touch with local council to see if planning permission to childmind was needed. I did do so and the person I spoke to said the council weren't interested if the numbers were low - ie 6 under 8. He didn't seem too sure but his answer was good enough for me and I certainly wasn't going to pursue it any further. If I had to apply for planning permission I would think one of my neighbours would object - not because it affects them at all (they are out at work all day) but purely to create problems for me.

jmllavender
15-06-2010, 09:20 PM
I'm in the same boat. I'm booked onto the ICP course in July with my sister and her friend. I spoke to the planning officer today saying that I wanted to work with another childminder and between us we would have a total of 11 children, between the ages of 0 to 16, and they are saying that I need planning permission. :panic:

I am also wishing that I hadn't bothered being honest but I was worried that I wouldn't be covered with my insurance. They want £335 from me for the application. I hadn't even thought about that I might not even get permission. Seems a waste of time. If anyone has ways around this please let me know.:idea:

I have contacted my Childcare support officer who is on the case for me. She has already spoken to them but it doesn't seem like they are budging one bit. We'll have to wait and see. I might end up working on my own. :(