PDA

View Full Version : planning help and other help please am i on track?

kimberley123
05-05-2010, 08:45 PM
hello i not been a childminder for long but here it goes
trying to sort paper work out ect been up all hours and my heads going to burst of!!!
anyway i dont have many kiddes but here it is i have one boy moring only ( school run)
2 ( bro and sister on an after noon X 2 days a week ( other girl shift
any way how do you ladies plan so far i have a folder for each child ( this what goes in it ) a ring binder . its a folder with childs contracts ( ncma new child inof docs ect followed by doc - med ecr pession slips signed by parnest i then put obs ( and a learing picture i will fill out once i had few months ) photos obs ect and so on
i done some books up says childs workbook ( all the work ido with them like helping the, with the numbers ect goes in there ) but main obs going in folder this ok ?
also do i need to do obs on these age ? 4? 5 ? and 2 year old?

also i stuck with planing
i not done any im comfussed with it i have a sheet for mid - monthy and theme and that which one do i use ( is it for each child and do i put in there folder?)
i jsut dont one that im gonna wipe board the activtys each week but at the monet we been doing free play tryign to get my head around it
how do i plan ?
i have a 4 year old and a 1 YEAR OLD WHAT WOULD YOU DO?
also whats if my plans change if i doign a week plan i dont get that you do activtys ( which could change or am i best to fill on a dailey baisc?

i take kids to school run and again at 1 and 3-15 pick up will this go in childs planin or what ?
so like if one day im doing paininting do i put in book ? (kids ) and then write it up and then put in other book?

also i have own one for risk this right thats got my log books in it to
thaks kim

kimberley123
05-05-2010, 09:32 PM
any one help me please

merry
06-05-2010, 06:47 AM
I look after 6 under 5's, they all come just one or two days a week. What I do is, each child has a folder and into this I have put their individual planning, which consists of one sheet of paper with 3/4 activities, I list the resources I will need and the areas of development they will cover, this covers 2 months at a time and tends to be things like the weather/seasons/celebrations/things related to that particular child's interest. Sometimes we do the planned activities, sometimes we don't, just depends how things go. Then every month I fill in an observation sheet as I go through the day, just little things I notice and where they fit into EYFS. Lastly there will be a photo or 2 a month with a few notes. Every term I do an achievements sheet, and also include samples of artwork, etc. I don't do any long detailed observations, I don't have time, the children are all very young and need me to be playing with them, not writing about them. If this will be good enough for Ofsted I don't know, it was last time but I haven't had an EYFS inspection yet.

:)

sarah707
06-05-2010, 06:53 AM
hello i not been a childminder for long but here it goes
trying to sort paper work out ect been up all hours and my heads going to burst of!!!
anyway i dont have many kiddes but here it is i have one boy moring only ( school run)
2 ( bro and sister on an after noon X 2 days a week ( other girl shift
any way how do you ladies plan

so far i have a folder for each child ( this what goes in it ) a ring binder . its a folder with childs contracts ( ncma new child inof docs ect followed by doc - med ecr pession slips signed by parnest i then put obs ( and a learing picture i will fill out once i had few months ) photos obs ect and so on
i done some books up says childs workbook ( all the work ido with them like helping the, with the numbers ect goes in there ) but main obs going in folder this ok ?

Sounds good to me - everything about the child in one folder.

I'd separate out the confidential stuff though and put that away somewhere with attendance records and medication forms.

Keep the learning and development info in a special learning journey folder for the child

also do i need to do obs on these age ? 4? 5 ? and 2 year old?

Yes the Eyfs says you must do observations, assessments and planning for all children up to the end of reception class.

Of course if you don't see much of them you can't do much paperwork.

it's all a balancing act

also i stuck with planing
i not done any im comfussed with it i have a sheet for mid - monthy and theme and that which one do i use ( is it for each child and do i put in there folder?)

Group planning is yours to keep, change, show Ofsted as evidence that you are covering the Eyfs

Individual planning is for the child's folder, so that's if you change any of the group planning around to suit the child.

Eg you are planning to do finger painting blossom on a tree but child a doesn't like finger painting so you suggested she used a stick instead.

That would be a nice note to put into her individual planning / learning journey, showing how you met her needs.

i jsut dont one that im gonna wipe board the activtys each week but at the monet we been doing free play tryign to get my head around it

If you write up this years' activities they will be useful for next year or the year after.

it's handy to build up a file of things the children have enjoyed doing.

You can put it together any way you like.

I add cuttings from magazines and all sorts of info to mine.

It's invaluable when there's a lull and nobody knows what to do next

how do i plan ?
i have a 4 year old and a 1 YEAR OLD WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

The 4 year old needs some structure and should be doing a balance of adult led and child led activities.

So lots of free play and lots of stuff you lead with, to help him learn through his play.

The 1 year old is the other way round... lots of input from you alongside free play which totally follows what s/he wants to do.

also whats if my plans change if i doign a week plan i dont get that you do activtys ( which could change or am i best to fill on a dailey baisc?

That's fine... it's good in fact because you are showing that you are flexible.

Just scribble on your plans!

A good routine will help though... if you have that up on the wall showing when you normally go out etc you can fill in the gaps with a balance of your planning and things the children have decided to do.

i take kids to school run and again at 1 and 3-15 pick up will this go in childs planin or what ?

This goes in your routine. It's something you do every day term time.

It's not an individual plan

so like if one day im doing paininting do i put in book ? (kids ) and then write it up and then put in other book?

You might plan painting in your group plan...

Then if a child has done a particularly nice one or done something really well or asked a question you want to share with parents or noticed how 2 colours blend to make a new one... you can write that up in his observations, link it to the Eyfs and plan maybe to look at colour blending next session as his next steps.

also i have own one for risk this right thats got my log books in it to

Yes your risk assessment should show everything the child comes into contact with.

It's your file, parents can see it if they want (they should know it's there) and Ofsted can view it on request.

thaks kim

I hope that helps. anything else just say! :D

angeldelight
06-05-2010, 07:30 AM
Good advice from Sarah

Hope you feel more confident now

Good luck

Angel xx

kimberley123
06-05-2010, 07:27 PM
thank you sarah your a star !!
i feel much betetr now
the only thing is is this please
on the group planning ect
mon ( painting ) baby age one ( finger paint ( age 4 paint ect ) then if i want i can ob this ? ( once a month ) this goes on my actiy sheet? and the childs planning? this right (dont suppose any ones got a few plaiing sheets so i can get my head around it? )
also i gonna start a theme does this need to be one a month or can i break it down eg i want to do about animals so we could draw some animals one week - paint other - go out walkign lookign ect can i jsut do this in a month and collect things and pictures am i thinking the same line?
also if we study this all week can i jsut put in the plannign folder what there doing ?
thank you for the advice xx

sarah707
06-05-2010, 08:31 PM
thank you sarah your a star !!
i feel much betetr now
the only thing is is this please
on the group planning ect
mon ( painting ) baby age one ( finger paint ( age 4 paint ect ) then if i want i can ob this ? ( once a month )

Obs come from all over the place - sometimes the child just does or says something and you want to write it down!

But yes you can do obs on your planned activities as well. It depends on what you are looking for really.

this goes on my actiy sheet? and the childs planning? this right (dont suppose any ones got a few plaiing sheets so i can get my head around it? )

I have 2... i have a child's sheet which goes in his file and shows how I have made sure he can access the activities.

I then have a group planning sheet which is mine. That has most of the info about the activity on it.

also i gonna start a theme does this need to be one a month or can i break it down eg i want to do about animals so we could draw some animals one week - paint other - go out walkign lookign ect can i jsut do this in a month and collect things and pictures am i thinking the same line?

What if the children lose interest after a few days?

The best way is to...

- find something the children are interested in;

- think of some activities;

- involve the children in thinking of more things to do;

- keep going back to the children and checking they are still interested;

- stop when their interests move on and follow what they want to do next;

- put your planning in a file, your stuff plus ideas from the children and keep it for next time.

This way you build up a stock of ideas as you go along.

also if we study this all week can i jsut put in the plannign folder what there doing ?

You'll have lots of routine stuff to go in your file already.

Then you can blank out a couple of sessions every day for independent play...

Then similar length sessions for group / planned play.

Mingle them and be flexible. See how it works and change things if it doesn't.

Don't forget, for the age groups we are dealing with your planning could be something as simple as reading a relevant book during story time!

thank you for the advice xx

Hope that helps you are very welcome :D

Tealady
07-05-2010, 10:07 AM
I don't know what you're childminding co-ordinators / support workers are like at you're council but ours are lovely and always happy to come out and help with things if your stuck. They also do annual visits which is great