PDA

View Full Version : What do you do when you have to leave a mindee ....

francinejayne
05-05-2010, 06:04 PM
I've only been registered a few months and so far I have a little girl aged 3 and a half for 1 and a half days a week. I also have my own DS aged 2. When we go out, eg to playgroup, if the mindee needs to go to the toilet, I ask one of my friends to watch my son whilst I accompany the mindee.

However, from June I am also going to be having a 9 month old baby 4 days a week, and then from August I will be having a 12 month old and a 9 month old, plus my son!

So now I am wondering, what do I do when I'm out and about if I have to accompany one child to the toilet, or change their nappy, if I have another mindee with me? I'm more than happy to ask my friend to watch my son, but I don't think I can do this with a mindee, so what do I do? If I take them with me they will be crawling all over the toilet area which I would not be happy with. What does everyone else do?

Thanks!

onceinabluemoon
05-05-2010, 06:20 PM
I've always taken all mine with me. Since they have to be within sight or hearing at all times there really isn't any other choice...

Use the buggy to keep them off the floor perhaps?

mamasheshe
05-05-2010, 06:28 PM
i had this problem today, i was at toddler group had, s aged 11mnths in double buggy asleep ,dd aged 2 ,and S aged two, the two year olds did painting and needed to wash there hands and use the toilet. (you can't get the double buggy in the toilets) i opted to leave sleeping 11 month asleep with friend while washed and sorted out the two year olds and guess what he woke up! could not think of another way of doing it .

PixiePetal
05-05-2010, 06:48 PM
I am usually at groups with other CM friends, the parents know them too. I make sure mindees are being watched by another CM, after telling them where I am going, and nip off quick. Depends on the children too - sometimes if 1 needs the loo, they all want to go! :laughing:

sophiestars
05-05-2010, 07:54 PM
If I am with a childminding friend I sometimes leave them with her and vice versa but I never leave them with someone who's not a childminder - you never know who's watching. People have been reported for less!

TammyN
05-05-2010, 08:00 PM
yeah i agree i either take them with me, if out in public or leave in sight of cm friends if at groups, etc.

gotta be safe and i do worry about eyes and ears alot having read te stories on this site :blush:

caz3007
05-05-2010, 08:00 PM
I also only nip a LO to loo at our toddler group where there are other minders that I have known for years and they keep an eye, if they werent there, I would take them all, at the moment I only have walkers, so its fine us all going

francinejayne
05-05-2010, 08:22 PM
thanks everyone - there's usually a few other childminders there so if i have to I'll ask one of them to keep an eye out.

Gizmo
05-05-2010, 08:41 PM
The groups I go to are only for cms so we all keep an eye on each others and whoever does the toilet run usually ends up taking 2 or 3 with them :D

helenlc
06-05-2010, 08:13 AM
I go to groups where other CMs go for this reason. We ask each other to watch one anothers while we pop to the loo, change nappies etc.

I do go to one group where there are no other CMs - this is at the Childrens Centre. I take the children with me - the older ones stand up and wait, if I have the baby I take the pushchair down for him to be strapped into.

A lot of palava if just one child needs the toilet or a nappy change but as someone else said, people have been reported for less things.:(

funfunfun
06-05-2010, 08:15 AM
agree with everyone else

take them all with you :) but if a pain but safest possible way

ask them all if they need it whilst there :)

Mouse
06-05-2010, 08:28 AM
The groups I attend have always had chidminders go to them, so if I need to go to the toilet, change a nappy, take mindee to the toilet etc, I leave the others with another cm.

I discuss this with parents & they have always been happy with it.

youarewhatyoueat
06-05-2010, 08:30 AM
I pick the groups that I go to carefully so I can always cope, mostly there are other childminders there or if its a new group I invite another minder to go with me.
The farm park we go to regulary we have to use the disabled toilet so the buggy can fit.
I use the children centre mostly and ask one of the support workers to watch one if I have to leave the room with another, fortunately the children's toilet is within view of the room and the main door is alarmed so all is safe.