PDA

View Full Version : Conjunctivitis exclusion?

andreaschildcare
05-05-2010, 04:04 PM
Jiya

I have said that if eyes are being treated will take them, but Ive now had it 5 times this month and its never ending with the kids despite being hygienic - may I ask what your exclusions are on this pls?

TIA

Goatgirl
05-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Hi :),
I have an eye condition (recurrent uveitis) which often needs steroids to keep it under control, and an eye infection could easily get out of control for me, as steroids would 'feed' it. ... On the other hand, not using steroids I could lose my sight :D (!): so I have no qualms at all saying I wont accept a child with conjunctivitis until all symptoms have gone.

I haven't had a parent argue yet; it can be very catching and its nigh on impossible to stop little ones from touching their eyes. You must be running around like a mad thing trying to anti-bac everything and everyone lo touches :panic:

You don't need an excuse however: If you want to exclude for the duration, do so :). If it feels like back tracking, maybe say its more dificult to control than you thought?! hence a change in/ addition to your sickness policy.

bws,
Wendy :)

Beetlejuice
05-05-2010, 04:21 PM
Apparently we don't have to exclude for conjunctivitis but tbh I do because I feel it's discretionary. It's highly contagious and sweeps through setting like nobody's business. I say they can come back if they have been treated for 24 hours.

cuffleygirl
05-05-2010, 04:22 PM
I will exclude until 24hours of treatment start - if it keeps coming back to your setting - are you absolutely sure it is being treated at mindee's homes?

The Juggler
05-05-2010, 04:33 PM
I exclude until gunk is cleared up and has been treated.

leeloo1
10-05-2010, 08:29 PM
I've been told by mindee's mum that her doctor said its not contagious... LO also has a chest infection and spent day sleeping/grumpy/pale, but if dr has said its ok then didn't feel I could argue. Oh and LO has been having antibac drops since Thurs (apparently)

TammyN
10-05-2010, 08:42 PM
my dd has had treatment for conjunctivitis for over a month, 3 different types of drops to be exact nothing cleared it, it kept coming back so now she is on anti histamine med and drops as they say it's hayfever :panic: i was not amused but it has cleared up :blush:
i would exclude for 24 hours of treatment for conjunctivitis although gave the parents the choice in my case and guess what they all came :laughing:

tashaleee
10-05-2010, 09:11 PM
I do have a policy and I do exclude for all pre-school aged children until fully treated - with school age children my policy states its discretionary - I have excluded children for this and never had a problem with the parents

I also have a problem with my own eye sight if I catch it and am allergic to the normal treatment methods and wear contact lenses so all parents are made aware just how serious it can be for my eyesight