PDA

View Full Version : Crying at naptime, what to do?

Starfish007
05-05-2010, 01:20 PM
Hi all, i have a new mindee, 9 months old. Parents say he has no comforter and when i put him in the cot to sleep he just cries histerically. Had this with my other mindee but left her for 10 mins and now she's fine, but my new mindee gets really upset and doesn't stop crying.

Can anyone recommend anything?

Linda Loo x

The Juggler
05-05-2010, 01:30 PM
as he's settling he probably feels very insecure. I had a little girl liek this. If I sat by the cot with my hand on her back, holding her hand she would stay lying down. If I moved she would stand up immediately no matter how many times I tucked her back in.

After a while I could just sit without my hand on her until she went to sleep. It's just the comfort he is probably after - worth a try?:(

helenlc
05-05-2010, 01:40 PM
Just persevere!!!:thumbsup:

I have a LO who started 2 mths ago when he was 10 mths old. He cried hysterically when I put him in the cot. I think he was used to being cuddled off.

Now he makes a bit of fuss but is generally asleep within a few minutes. He still objects hysterically to being put in there but you can hear him settle down.

I sympathize with you as I have found it very draining.:(

youarewhatyoueat
05-05-2010, 03:15 PM
Could you go for a walk and let them both go to sleep while out, I quite like doing this, I take a flask and a book and sit by the pond in our village at least if they don't go to sleep its relaxing for them and me and I enjoy a nice walk.But i've never had them not go to sleep yet.

venus89
05-05-2010, 03:27 PM
Or rock him to sleep in the buggy (with permission)? I have two here now that each started at 5 months and I could only get them to settle in the buggy, being rocked. We progressed onto in the buggy and not being rocked and now they sleep in the cot - the older one's 23 months and the younger 11 months....

louised
05-05-2010, 04:15 PM
Does he normally have a sleep during the day? It's not uncommon for children of this age to stay awake all day, I have a 10 month old mindee who regularly stays awake and no amount of rocking will get him off, he would cry for an hour if I let him so I have given up trying to get him to sleep, it's very draining for me as I don't get 5 minutes peace but brilliant for his parents as he sleeps all night

angiemog
05-05-2010, 07:47 PM
I had this with my 9 month old mindee it took me around 3 weeks for him to settle and sleep no problem. I have him 4 days a week. I did try going for a walk in the buggy a few times and this did work, but I had another child that wouldn't sleep in the buggy but would in the travel cot. I stuck with it and now he is my perfect sleeper. He loves going to bed and will happily climb the stairs. I have found cutting out a morning nap and putting them down after lunch has worked for all my under 1s. They have all been around 9 months- 1yr and I have had 4 of them in the last 6 months. xx

Starfish007
05-05-2010, 08:20 PM
Thankyou so much for your replies. angiemog's advice was useful, think i may try and get him to just have 1 sleep after lunch, he has 2 with him mummy.

love this forum, sooooooooo helpful.

thanks again
linda loo

Twinklestars
06-05-2010, 02:37 PM
I just tire my 9 month old mindee out til about 12/1pm then he sleeps for 1 1/2hrs usually, he naps in his chair at home but now tries to climb in the cot here so I know when he's tired and he goes straight to sleep!