PDA

View Full Version : what to expect

Mookins
05-05-2010, 10:00 AM
on the icp course?

my course starts next week am soooooo excited, havent yet received the eyfs pack so have been tring to read it online, but what do we actually do on the course? do we have to do any essays or something?
starting to feel really unprepared

x x x

Pipsqueak
05-05-2010, 10:53 AM
I am guessing most ICP's are run along the same lines.
The way ours goes is its broken down into sections and the tutor relates it Eyfs for you.
Sections like: business practice, health and safety etc.
At the end of the icP there will be a multiple choice exam which you will have been booked in for.

Don't panic - thats what the ICP is there for - introducing you to childminding. The tutor is there to guide you through things and remember you are on the course with a few others who are in the same boat. not to mention you already have a heads up belonging ot this forum!!:D

Mookins
05-05-2010, 11:02 AM
righto...so i can take lots of notes obviously but they wont expect me to have written up assignments by the following week?:rolleyes: the only part im not looking forward to is the day when its all about safegurading:( so upsetting

was going to print up lots of adverts for this forum to hand out when im there...but i dont know if i want to share lol

just joking am gonna hand them out to everyone if theres anyone else going you peeps have all helped so much its the least i can do

x x x x

francinejayne
05-05-2010, 12:20 PM
it really is nothing to worry about, I found it very easy going and to be truthfully honest I'm not sure I learnt much on the course as I'd been on this forum so much before and had read most of it!!!

on the plus side because we were all on the same course for 7 weeks, a group of us made friends and we still meet up now with our mindees!! :D

you'll be fine!
xx

Mookins
05-05-2010, 12:27 PM
aaaah thats nice, hope i meet up with some nice people, dont know many round here and weve been here over a year, its mostly old, retired wealthy people
everything im not lol

soooo excited .....feels slike xmas, cant sleep lol
x xx

Pipsqueak
05-05-2010, 12:29 PM
righto...so i can take lots of notes obviously but they wont expect me to have written up assignments by the following week?:rolleyes: the only part im not looking forward to is the day when its all about safegurading:( so upsetting

was going to print up lots of adverts for this forum to hand out when im there...but i dont know if i want to share lol

just joking am gonna hand them out to everyone if theres anyone else going you peeps have all helped so much its the least i can do

x x x x

no no they won't be getting you to do 'homework' although you could start using your knowledge and preparing stuff and the tutor or your support minder could guide you.

Safeguarding week - its not particuarly in-depth and in no way a safeguarding course. its just an brief look at safeguarding and some basic procedures. i agree though, its a toughie but remember you are learning this in your professional capacity - try to remove yourself as a mother iyswim.

as to sharing - be selective - on those who deserve to be told should be!!! thats my motto:D

francinejayne
06-05-2010, 09:11 PM
aaaah thats nice, hope i meet up with some nice people, dont know many round here and weve been here over a year, its mostly old, retired wealthy people
everything im not lol

soooo excited .....feels slike xmas, cant sleep lol
x xx

you may need to take the bull by the horns and suggest that everyone swap contact details if they want to! I did this, and then everyone else agreed what a good idea it was!
some people have never replied to any communications, however there are 5 or 6 of us that now meet up regularly. We're all in the same boat, and all helping each other. It may also help that we're all from different areas within the borough, so there's no competition between us for business. I was sad when my training ended! Though we're going to organise a night out soon (no children :jump for joy: ) once everyone's certificate is through!

Cazz
06-05-2010, 10:18 PM
To be honest I've learnt much more from this forum than I did the ICP course. :thumbsup:

I found most of it was common-sense although when I did mine the EYFS wasn't touched on that much, so it's probably very different now.

I have to confess that I was very selfish and didn't share the forum details :blush: I preferred them to think that I was just really clever coming up with loads of answers - only joking :laughing:

I made 3 friends on the ICP course, although 1 of them has now stopped childminding and 1 never got started - she was the comic of the group. The other one is childminding the other side of town and we speak to each other and meet for a chat and the children to play from time to time.

The safeguarding part was held on a Saturday for me and I have to say I felt it was all a bit rushed, so I may try and book onto another course. There were some upsetting things in it but obviously it's best to be aware of possible scenario's.

Hope you enjoy your course next week - and manage to get some sleep in the meantime :laughing: