PDA

View Full Version : I'm absolutely gutted

Cazz
04-05-2010, 03:05 PM
I've just been given notice for the 2 little girls I look after on a Tuesday.

Mum has just collected them and I asked if she would have 5 minutes next week for the 6 month contract review and she said "Oh yes I've got to tell you that it was my last day at work today".

She says it's not worth her working for 9 hours a week so she'll be at home looking after the children.

I only mind them on a Tuesday but I'm really upset as they were my first mindees and they are lovely - I think the world of them and will really miss them. This is the 4 year old who barely said a word for the first few weeks and now I can't stop her! (Still doesn't talk much at nursery though). My 2 year old dd will be really upset as well as she idolises the 4 year old. I will have them for 4 more weeks and then they finish.

These are the first mindees that I have lost (technically I've lost 3 because I sometimes have the older brother in the holidays) and I will now be down to an after school for 3 hours Mon-Wed and possibly my 12 month old on a Friday - although I don't know if he's coming back either as he's been off long-term due to family circumstances. Also, 2 sisters that I do emergency and holiday cover for when another childminder is not available - that's not regular work though.

I've had no enquiries for weeks even though I've got cards up all over the place. The annoying thing is in the last few months I've not been able to accommodate 3 families who all wanted a Tuesday and I had no spaces due to minding for this family who have given notice today.

I knew this was going to happen at some point but I just want to cry at the moment and am not sure if I like this job anymore if this is what it's like - is that really stupid?

Mookins
04-05-2010, 03:15 PM
oh hun....:(

...x x x

little_gems
04-05-2010, 03:18 PM
oh hun its awful when this happens i hope something comes along quickly for you.

Mookins
04-05-2010, 03:21 PM
did you get the link i found and sent you on face book? x

LOOPYLISA
04-05-2010, 03:21 PM
:group hug:

caz3007
04-05-2010, 03:35 PM
Sending you a hug.

Cazz
04-05-2010, 03:59 PM
did you get the link i found and sent you on face book? x

I've just been on there and seen it and messaged you back.

Thank you!

sandy64
04-05-2010, 04:03 PM
im sorry its so hard isnt it ive just filled a place that i shouldnt of had free like you so it may work out ok for you sending good luck vibes:)

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
04-05-2010, 04:04 PM
Oh hunny fingers crossed something comes along.

Sending you lots of love and hugs.
xx

sarah707
04-05-2010, 05:03 PM
So sorry! :(

bekki0405
04-05-2010, 06:40 PM
I'm losing 2 in September, and dreading it. Even when I talk about it I get upset. I guess it's like when a pet dies, you kind of have a mourning for them.
I hope you feel Ok soon. :)

Mookins
04-05-2010, 06:44 PM
try and think positive..people are having babies all the time...our career will never run dry
x x x

miffy
04-05-2010, 06:54 PM
Oh no! Fingers crossed you get some phone calls soon.

Hugs

Miffy xx

Cazz
04-05-2010, 08:58 PM
I can't believe how upset I am!

I've had them every week for exactly six months (apart from 1 week when dd was ill and one week at Christmas).

Am I right in thinking they should give me notice in writing? It took me by shock the way she told me (wish I hadn't mentioned the contract review now :rolleyes: ) that I didn't say ask for a letter.

Apparently it's not worth her while working, I asked if she had been claiming for childcare and she said she had but for 10 hours a week it's not worth working so she's going to stay at home and look after the kids :(

I am so going to miss these two and my dd will be heartbroken when she realises her "best friend" is not going to come anymore.

The Juggler
04-05-2010, 09:23 PM
oh hon. I am sorry! sending a big hug

Daddy Day Care
04-05-2010, 09:38 PM
So sorry to hear this cazz,

Im sure things will turn around, people kept telling me that and i didnt beleive them but finally they are. I know that doesnt help with missing them, could you possibly arrange play dates so your dd can still seem them now and again?

Gareth
xx

Cazz
04-05-2010, 10:25 PM
So sorry to hear this cazz,

Im sure things will turn around, people kept telling me that and i didnt beleive them but finally they are. I know that doesnt help with missing them, could you possibly arrange play dates so your dd can still seem them now and again?

Gareth
xx

I did reply to your message but I don't think it was sent as my message box was full. This was the reason anyway - feeling sorry for myself!

I think I will ask if the mum will visit from time to time so my dd will still see F and I would love to keep in contact with them and see the girls grow up.

monkey62
04-05-2010, 10:45 PM
Sending you a big hug and finger cross ... something will come along for you soon

The Juggler
05-05-2010, 06:24 AM
I did reply to your message but I don't think it was sent as my message box was full. This was the reason anyway - feeling sorry for myself!

I think I will ask if the mum will visit from time to time so my dd will still see F and I would love to keep in contact with them and see the girls grow up.

that sounds good. I had a mindee who left last year at 2 1/2. My ds (10) cried himself to sleep that night. me and his mum both cried. So, we know visit them at least every other school holiday or my son wouldn't speak to me.:)

Leanne59
05-05-2010, 06:32 AM

Heaven Scent
05-05-2010, 07:37 AM
Oh fingers crossed for you hunny - I suffered from a big drought a about a year and a half ago and have literally only just got back to where I was before it - I have to admit it was slow going but the enquiries came in gradually - I had even got full and then mum lost her job so gained and lost 2 in a very short period of time.

When I was down to almost none I went out temping 3 days but couldn't work after 2 o'clock because my first new contracts were for just after schoolies and as I didn't want to give up minding I had to take them on and go with the flow.

During this time the mum of my 2 day per weeker - first ever mindee who I had from when he was 4 mths even told me she would be moving him to Nursery I was gutted but dads family and I managed to change her mind - it didn't take much changing - they were only doing it because they thought it was a next step - :panic: :panic:

I advertised everywhere I could - I put a boxed advert in the paper and it has well paid for itself - I got one baby 3 days per week out of it the first days care paid for it - had I not put it in I probably never would have got that enquiry - I did have to wait 9 months for the baby to start though.

Fingers crossed for you I hope you start getting some enquiries soon.

Mcgons
05-05-2010, 09:27 AM
Stick with it!