PDA

View Full Version : Inspection - Nappy Changing

daytimedolly
04-05-2010, 01:44 PM
Hi

This might seem a crazy question but the childminders that I know have all said Ofsted are real hot on the subject of nappy changing.

Its bizarre as I have my own daughter and do the usual change, dispose, wash hands but.............

What procedure do Ofsted look for? Ive been told I must use rubber gloves and also change upstairs? What If I have 3 kids at the time they turn up?

caz3007
04-05-2010, 01:52 PM
I changed on my changing mat and didnt use gloves when I was inspected and no problems with it at all, and no comments either way. I antibac after each change with kitchen roll and antibac or use wipes, depending on what I have available.

daytimedolly
04-05-2010, 01:57 PM
Really? thats interesting
Ive got the same inspector as I did when I was first assessed and I remember her saying that changing should always be done upstairs. What on earth are u to do when you've got 3 kids.

Zoomie
04-05-2010, 02:00 PM
What is safer, changing downstairs and keeping an eye on all, or going upstairs and leaving 2 other LOs unattended ??

I also didn't use gloves, washed my hands afterwards and Ofsted never said a thing.

louised
04-05-2010, 02:10 PM
I took LO in another room and left mindees playing with the inspector and she never said anything

Mookins
04-05-2010, 02:13 PM
someone on here suggested a fold up change table, means you can stay down stairs to be close to others, its better on your back and can be tucked away afterwards for those with limited space (me) ikea do lovely ones
it has little pockets etc to keep everything together
x x x

mama2three
04-05-2010, 02:35 PM
I wouldnt usually go upstairs to change lo , butmaybe as you know in advance the inspectors view on this it may be silly to ignore it. How about changing lo in bathroom whilst others wash hands , brush teeth etc. It depends on the age of the children really. And I would ask her to clarify why she suggests upstairs changing.

If youre confident enough to fight your corner then tell her you have risk assessed and decided that the safest option is changing downstairs , and what you have considered to reach this decision. She should be able to see what you mean , and will see this as reflective practice.

Good Luck!

caz3007
04-05-2010, 03:25 PM
My Mrs O actually said she would nip to the loo whilst I changed LO, so she didnt even see me change him and my practise. When I had my first inspection I did in front of the inspector, having said that she was an ex minder, so knew we had to juggle so much and in my view its safer to keep all the children in sight than leave some so you can change a nappy.

margaret
04-05-2010, 04:11 PM
It is good practice to always use gloves when changing nappies you are protecting yourself and child,this is normal practice in nurseries ,preschools ,hospitals etc.You are protecting yourself from hepatitis,aids etc parents dont always tell you medical conditions.

I do all my nappy changing in conservatory ,bag and bin and antibac changing mat,gel hands and then wash.

Risk assess and tell ofsted why you change nappies as you do ,write it in your sef ,it is up to you to sell yourself and be confident.You could provide dolls changing mat ,cotton glove ,nappy etc and encourage other children if right age to change dolly - this also shows ofsted that you are teaching children good hygiene habits. -- i can go on for ever

wellingtoncc
04-05-2010, 06:49 PM
i've just had my inspection and she never mentioned nappy changing, and all she would have found are anti-bac gel and a mat on the floor of my shower which comes out when i need it. She didn't ask any questions. xx

AliceK
05-05-2010, 02:46 PM
I change on a changing mat on the floor. Mat is antibac sprayed and wiped afterwards and then I wash my hands. All of this is done downstairs. I don't use gloves (except for 1 mindees's poos). Ofsted seemed fine with it when I had my inspection. She saw what I did.

xxxxx

catswhiskers
05-05-2010, 09:22 PM
I also don't use gloves - wouldn't have the time the amount of poos mine do and also I just think it's necessary when you can wash your hands straight after.

Also, plastic/latex gloves are very bad for the environment.

I think the only time Ofsted would comment is if you are changing nappies on your lap.

Joannechildmind
10-05-2010, 11:43 AM
my Ofsted inspector asked how i give the child privacy while nappy changing, i usually take child into the hall to change nappy so little one is away from others but i can still see whats going on in the lounge.

SmartKids
11-05-2010, 01:04 PM
I know it can't be in the kitchen or dining area, and also make sure you don't wash your hands in kitchen sink after. I do my nappy changing in downstairs toilet, with door open, to give some privacy to lil one. Hope this helps
Good Luck with inspection

Hats
11-05-2010, 04:15 PM
I just changed mindee in the corner of room I mind in (playroom). Ofsted inspector didnt make any comment. She saw that I wiped mindees hands wiped the mat down and then washed my hands and was more than happy.:)

linda2girls
11-05-2010, 09:52 PM
So when you change a nappy, should you wipe babies hands as well as wash your own?

Linda.

Trouble
11-05-2010, 09:57 PM
i think you are supposed to why not use a face cloth have it handy for after nappy change, if its old enough give it to the child to p.lay with whilst you doing nappy change:idea:

i never used gloves i used down stairs toilet but left door open so i could see or hear what was going on

good luck xxx

Hats
12-05-2010, 06:52 PM
So when you change a nappy, should you wipe babies hands as well as wash your own?

Linda.

I just used a baby wipe. Also wiped mindees hands before her bottle too.

Rubybubbles
12-05-2010, 06:54 PM

Linda.

I do, nearly every child I have looked after trys to have a wonder:laughing:

babs
12-05-2010, 07:01 PM

Linda.

my inspector picked up on the fact that i wiped babies hands after nappy change and said quite a few dont, but it gets them use to washing hands after toilet so to say...

i changed on living room floor on a mat, which was wiped down before and afterwards. double bagged nappy putting wipes off baby and my own hands in 2nd bag, then picked lo up and binned nappy in outside bin then washed my hands in downstairs toilet..