PDA

View Full Version : Struggling with planning for under 2s

mummyof3
04-05-2010, 10:09 AM
I really need some help - again!!

I have two new mindees 15mth and 21mth. I am trying to plan for these children but I am hitting a brick wall. I usually put a theme in a spidergram and then link to areas of learning and thats my planning. I haven't had to plan much as EYFS mindees were only with me after school one day a week!

How do you plan for under 2s?? They just don't want to do anything I provide for them I just let them run around the garden, play room and play with whatever they want to play with :blush: It is a really hard age to plan for.

I know they both love animals so I plan to do May theme as animals and provide all animal related activities for them. I have a farm, farm/animal books, animal crafts, nursery rhymes etc. I have visits planned around this theme too. I try not to overdo the planning as things change from day to day.

Can anyone offer any advice? Am I on the right track?

Andrea08
04-05-2010, 10:20 AM
for my uner 3's its all about the child rather than the adult led activity...

look at your obs and find their interests and what areas they need to work on eg PSRN so child A likes animals so lets put big animals in one area and small in an other .. also colours and counting etc

your routine is also part of your planning.
weather and seasons
animal prints.. in sand ,, paint,, play dough etc

the continual provision is enugh to give a wide experiance and just add a few adult led activities and crafts

good luck xx

kats
04-05-2010, 10:21 AM
Hi, i have a mindee, 11 months old, i dont exactly plan for her, i observe her and do next steps, for some of the obs i use photos and it all goes into her learning journey. I also have a 3 and a half year old who i do plan for and the baby does join in with a lot of what she does but at her own level. Dont know if im doing right . If im not someone feel free to tell me :)

Katsxx

mummyof3
04-05-2010, 10:37 AM
My head is full of planning I plan throughout the day but just find it hard to write it all down for it to make sense to ofsted!! :rolleyes:

Shar
04-05-2010, 11:19 AM
I was told that planning should be spontanious child initiated planning. What the child plays with, enjoys, and likes doing. Observe the child and your next steps are that childs individual planning. If you do a group plan then put each childs interests into that planning.

samantha grant
04-05-2010, 11:49 AM
lol, i too find it difficult!!
take the indoors outdoors ....if you know what i mean
make a den......small table with a blanket over it,teddy can get in too.
you say they like animals.....have a bear hunt!! (read book going on a bear hunt).....hide a bear in the garden n get them to look 4 it, give them bonoculars to look through to find the bear....print off bear masks 4 them to glitter or crayon......have honey sandwich(let them spread it themselves)
you could also use the den as a cave...............
not sure if im going along the rights lines here 4 u, so let me know! implementing the eyfs and the childrens ob's would be easy with this theme.
if you need help linking them just say.
hope this helps
sam.x

snufflepuff
04-05-2010, 12:14 PM
I find this difficult too, because they are so young. I have my 14 month old son and a 15 month old mindee, then in June will have a 12 month old mindee too. I do plan but its more in my head and jotted notes than anything formal. I worry that what i write on my planning sheets is a bit....rubbish?! just because they dont seem like proper activities when written down, and you cant do many 'proper' activities because they are too little!! eg 'stacking wooden blocks' looks silly written down, but when we actually do it i feel that mindee gains quite alot from it.......does that make sense?

margaret
04-05-2010, 01:54 PM
I do short term planning, long term planning for year ,continuous provision and follow interests of child.

E.g long term plan for May is transport ,children are 16mths ,18mths and 9mths.
boys keep running ther cars around room
visit a building site,look at diggers etc ,talk about transport ,take pictures of kids watching what is going on,pics of sign posts etc,at home look at building site/vehicle books etc play with bob the builder trucks.16MTH old now shouts digger ,car etc - communicaion- next steps continue to follow childs interest in vehicles ,paint pictures,playdough cars etc transport puzzle ,visit train station or point out trains etc introduce thomas tank ,chuddington etc as long as you explain to ofsted what and why you are doing this -- you dont need loads of written work.
hope this makes sense