PDA

View Full Version : World Asthma Day

Bushpig
04-05-2010, 07:07 AM
Today is World Asthma Day. I am still shocked at how little is known about this chronic condition and how non seriously it is taken by some people. As a severe asthmatic myself it worries me no end.

My own mum saw a man die from an asthma attack in front of her a couple of months ago... his inhaler had run out. He was trying to take it, and was panicking big time as nothing was coming out. The mums at the gate called the ambulance which got there quickly, but too late :( They tried in vain to revive him for nigh on an hour. He died in front of his daughter :(

Here's hoping that people start taking this more seriously... as childminders we are FAR more informed than the average person re this disease. Let's educate others :thumbsup:

Andrea08
04-05-2010, 09:56 AM
didnt want to read n run but dont know what to say either so sending (((Huggz))) and yes there should be more information out there about Asthma.

a cm friend of our has Asthma and i just asked lots of questions and esp what to do if i couldnt find her puffer...

hay ring 999 its the best you can do

again (((Huggz) xxxxx

Twinklestars
04-05-2010, 08:23 PM
I have severe asthma too and have 2 inhalers and 2 different tablets as well as anti histamines every day and it's getting worse. People don't take it seriously enough and it's a very scary disease to have.

sarah707
04-05-2010, 08:31 PM
You are absolutely right it is a very scary illness.

It is good that it is being publicised and people are finding out more about how to help sufferers if they have a crisis.

:D

FizzysFriends
04-05-2010, 08:36 PM
Ironic, I've had 2 attacks today :(

A lad in my DD's class at school died after having an attack whilst driving on the way to work, a week before Christmas too.

Bushpig
08-05-2010, 05:33 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that!!! Are you okay??? What meds did you use? Did they work okay or did you need to nebulise?

Big hug x

flora
08-05-2010, 05:41 PM
I think with most chronic conditions people underestimate how life threatening this condition can be.

I have it, not badly but enough to be a pain in the bum at times :D

Raising awareness can only be a good thing :clapping:

onceinabluemoon
08-05-2010, 07:36 PM
I have asthma too and nobody ever takes it seriously except my mum and my kids!

FizzysFriends
08-05-2010, 08:21 PM
I'm so sorry to hear that!!! Are you okay??? What meds did you use? Did they work okay or did you need to nebulise?

Big hug x

Is that to me? Yes I'm fine, only had 1 attack since. I use Seratide 250 4 a day and sebutamol when needed. No didn't need nebulising. I've just finished anti biotics for chest infection and my peak flow is upto 350 so on the mend now.

RachelE
08-05-2010, 08:52 PM
I looked after 2 grils - 3rd and 4th born from a family - and no.2 had died from an asthma attack aged 9. :(

My son has very very mild asthma, but apart from giving inhalers and dialling 999, not sure I'd be much help! :blush:

It isnt something to 2nd guess really as every case is different.

And, I'm sure it isnt easy to guess how serious each case will be.

We all need more educating!

Rachel x

Bushpig
08-05-2010, 09:02 PM
Is that to me? Yes I'm fine, only had 1 attack since. I use Seratide 250 4 a day and sebutamol when needed. No didn't need nebulising. I've just finished anti biotics for chest infection and my peak flow is upto 350 so on the mend now.

Glad to know you're okay now. My doc said as soon as I get any kind of infection I must start using my salbutomal every day x 4 times, to give myself an extra boost... as this is a vulnerable attack time. Good thing to have that peak flow meter too, I check my peak flow often.

Bushpig
08-05-2010, 09:15 PM
I looked after 2 grils - 3rd and 4th born from a family - and no.2 had died from an asthma attack aged 9. :(

My son has very very mild asthma, but apart from giving inhalers and dialling 999, not sure I'd be much help! :blush:

It isnt something to 2nd guess really as every case is different.

And, I'm sure it isnt easy to guess how serious each case will be.

We all need more educating!

Rachel x

The best thing someone living with an asthmatic can do is know how to deal with an asthma attack. Ask asthmatic to sit/stand up, take deep long breaths. Wait a couple of minutes max to see if meds are working, if no immediate relief is apparent, call 999 immediately. Try keep asthmatic CALM, as it's VERY stressful when battling to breathe, and panicking exacerbates the attack, I start crying I panic so much, when my emergency inhaler doesn't work (I then use my home nebuliser/prednisolone steroid tablets I always carry with me). If they seem confused/delirious/lethargic... 999 immediately.

Ensure the home is as 'trigger' free as possible.

Some triggers are:
room/car deodorisers
smelly candles
toilet sprays
perfumes
deodorants
strong smelling soaps
cleaning detergents
insence
dust
pollens
cigarette smoke