PDA

View Full Version : any tips please to help encourage and teach basic ICT to 4 yr old?

toobusy4tea
03-05-2010, 09:33 AM
hi ladies,

this is my 1st time on this website so hope you can help.
i mind a 4 yr old who has no idea how t use a computer, she is interested but will not use it herself.
any tips?

little_gems
03-05-2010, 10:02 AM
it is a computer or a laptop???

A computer will be a lot easier to start off wtih. Set up a blank word doc and just let them type away or get a drawing page and shiw them how to use a mouse my clicking. They should pick it up in no time.
HTH

angiemog
03-05-2010, 10:09 AM
Hi,
I look after a 4 year old. He was 3 when he started and I introuduced him to a lap top with a mouse. I have a few cds which teach some basic games.... just clicking on items..... I also let him play on the cbeebies site there are lots of fun games for each programme. If she likes a certain programme have a look at it and it might encourage her to have a turn herself. Another idea would be for you sit with her do a few clicks and then she can click the mouse while you are holding it. x

jumpinjen
03-05-2010, 10:23 AM
I personally wouldn't push it, it is no big deal that she can't use it herself at four years old.... you could put an old computer keyboard and a mouse in the role-play things for her to use as she is interested?

jenni

sillysausage
03-05-2010, 01:24 PM
I'm with jumpinjen. Don't force it if she is not interested. If my little mindees want to use the computer we do it on a one to one basis, exploring the cbeebies website together with the mindee taking increasing control ie, I will start by guiding the mouse with the mindees hand on it and gradually they learn to do it for themselves.

Don't forget all the other everyday ICT things you may do-
Operating a child's cd player
Using a camera
Using a photocopier
Showing them how to use a washer/dishwasher/microwave
almost any toy that has batteries
mobile phones
ds/wii etc
role play office/post office/shop etc

The Juggler
03-05-2010, 02:05 PM
I agree, you could try a bee bot (borrow from your toy library) but things like torches etc are all ICT.

If you are looking at developing mouse control, start with very simple games likes those where you 'paint' by pulling and clicking mouse buttons . There is a Bob the Builder game which is very simple you just slide the mouse from side to side to move the machines, no clicking involved and is a good introduction, or draw her in with her favorite programme on the Cbeebies website.

I agree though dont worry too much about the PC itself - in a few years you won't be able to get her off it!

grindal
03-05-2010, 02:31 PM
On cbeebies there are a few games that they can do using the space bar only - teletubbies is the one I can remember. To help DS1 learn to use the mouse I put a sticker on it.

Twinklestars
03-05-2010, 09:15 PM
my 5 year old still loves the cbeebies website and there are some easy to do games. I think the bob one is using the space bar and arrows. He loves the something special songs etc too

monkey62
03-05-2010, 10:25 PM
A child shouldn't be pushed if is not intrested.....ICT is not only laptop/ computer is lot of other equipment can be used. Why you don't start with a camera.... and then she may be intrested to download the pictures

toobusy4tea
04-05-2010, 08:04 PM
sorry, i did say she is interested but didnt know what to do. she loves to watch the others but when its her turn she is unsure. i just wanted to encourage her. we tried today when she ask to go using stickers on the mouse which really helped her press the right buttons and she enjoyed cbeebies so it will come in time.