PDA

View Full Version : Anyone been to alcudia (majorca) or puerto rico (gran canaria)???

funfunfun
02-05-2010, 07:58 PM
Been looking at hols for next year

i was wondering if anyone of you lovelly ppl have been to any of the above and offer any advice on making a decision :)

it will be our first holiday abroad as a family

LOOPYLISA
02-05-2010, 08:06 PM
I have heard purto rico in gran canaria is very busy and very hilly but lovely beach when you get to it :thumbsup:

But like i say only 'heard' this :thumbsup:

sarah707
02-05-2010, 08:15 PM
Gran Canaria is a bit hilly we all came back shattered from all the walking up steps.

It was nice though and you are more or less guaranteed sunshine even early in the year.

Alcudia is nice. The beach is the best bit, otherwise it's fairly quiet. Dp has been there and says he'd advise a car.

We stayed in Cala D'or in Mallorca which was quieter but ok as we had a car. The kids are older and went off into the little town by themselves.

Hth :D

funfunfun
02-05-2010, 08:18 PM
Gran Canaria is a bit hilly we all came back shattered from all the walking up steps.

It was nice though and you are more or less guaranteed sunshine even early in the year.

Alcudia is nice. The beach is the best bit, otherwise it's fairly quiet. Dp has been there and says he'd advise a car.

We stayed in Cala D'or in Mallorca which was quieter but ok as we had a car. The kids are older and went off into the little town by themselves.

Hth :D

My own lo's at time of travel will be 7 and 4 we are thinking of going in august peek season i know , school holidays

i dont want to be somewhere where it is manic if you know what i mean but also where ther is soming to keep the kids occupied

Twinklestars
02-05-2010, 08:21 PM
we went to alcudia last year at the end of oct which is the last week of their season. The beach is great for kids and the sea is really calm like a lake. All the tourist attractions apart from a water park that was shut were the other side of the island near the airport so we had to hire a car. Think we went at the wrong time of year but not much to do really and i wouldn't go again, if you just like to sunbathe you would like it though.

funfunfun
02-05-2010, 08:22 PM
we went to alcudia last year at the end of oct which is the last week of their season. The beach is great for kids and the sea is really calm like a lake. All the tourist attractions apart from a water park that was shut were the other side of the island near the airport so we had to hire a car. Think we went at the wrong time of year but not much to do really and i wouldn't go again, if you just like to sunbathe you would like it though.

hmmmm im not sure about this now , im having a nosie at where sarah707 went as is the same place really

The Juggler
02-05-2010, 08:24 PM
it was a long time ago but I went to Puerto Rico - it was awful. Beach was a walk with a few nice bars but everything else was in a large concrete shopping center (for want of a better description). We weren't too high up the hills hence couldn't sleep as clubs went on most of the night.

I would try somewhere quieter.

debbie
02-05-2010, 08:25 PM
would recommend puerto rico but yes very hilly we would always be jumping into cabs down to beach. but beautiful once there. boat trips from harbour very good aswell. dont buy from reps as very expensive.
as for majorca we stayed in san coma very quiet very flat found a lovely mini golf course off one road but they also have trams to beach which is not far but so lovely. also have people selling fresh fruit on beach. would recommend both. cyprus is also very nice if you want more of an english feel but still want to visit a different culture. coral bay is beautiful but larnec has the best beaches . so jealous have already been away not going again til october.

karen m
02-05-2010, 08:26 PM
Went to Alcudia found it loverly but must admit that was 25 years ago suppose it has change altogether now

LOOPYLISA
02-05-2010, 08:27 PM
We love tenerife (canary island) :clapping:

Twinklestars
02-05-2010, 08:27 PM
yeah it's only a short drive away. We stayed at the bellevue apartments, nothing flash but went all inclusive for a week for about 700 for everything for 3 of us, thomas was 4 when we went and he loved it there cos there were 8 pools. Just alcudia i wasn't too keen on but we like to go out and about.

Kelly
02-05-2010, 08:46 PM
we went all inclusive to Calas de mallorca a couple of years ago, it was lovely, my two were 11 & 5. It was quite quiet but there were a couple of play areas for the kids in the town. To be honest the entertainment at the hotel kept them occupied, so we didn't venture out that much :)

skytvaddict
03-05-2010, 06:45 AM
Aludia was very nice - could walk out very far into the sea it was so shallow - kids were 10 and 6 and DS1 was conceived there (tmi perhaps :blush: )

funfunfun
03-05-2010, 07:03 AM
I have also looked at place where you guys have been /stayed lol

made it a bit harder.......still cant make up my mind :)

caz3007
03-05-2010, 09:35 AM
We stayed in Alcudia about 10 years ago and we enjoyed it. We went all inclusive and had 3 kids in our party, we stayed at the Hotel Jupiter and there was a water park next door. It was a bit out of town but a nice walk into it and there were bars and shops just outside the hotel. A land train ran down to the town too and think the hotel complex put on a bus to the beach.

Complex was three hotels, think they were the Jupiter, Mars and Mercury, not sure if they are still in the brochures thoug,

We hired a car for a few days and went out and about, although it was two families and we managed to hire a 7 seater.

Alibali
03-05-2010, 10:00 AM
Our first foreign holiday was Estartit in Spain, it was beautiful, nice and flat and everything within walking distance, beautiful beach.

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
03-05-2010, 07:44 PM
Hi i stayed in Alcudia about 15 years ago and it was great for all ages,( Our ages went from my little sis 3 years old - my gran who was in her 60s!) we went on lots of days trips and we didnt hire a car, we just used local transport or walked!!! Theres lots todo there, like the flee market and caves of drake (sp)

I went back to the island 5 years ago with my husband before we had kids and we had a great time too.

i went to lanzarote in Jan this year with hubby and kids (2 yr & 3yrs) and it was great, very child friendly and lots todo. I could go back there again as theres lots to do on the island.

Joannechildmind
04-05-2010, 08:00 AM
We recently (april) went to Alcudia and stayed in a lovely place called Seaclub Appartments very clean and staff very friendly.We love the place and have been there for 3 years now in April, and are considering going for a short break in August. The beach is lovely, and a bus ride away from the port of pollensa which is lovely too. Shops and resturants close by seaclub appartments around a 5 min walk. A lovely resturant for dinner called Luna about a 10 min walk from appartments. Breakfast we went to a lovely place around a 5 min walk from appartment a lovely english breakfast for 4.95 euros. (forgot the name of the place now but dp will know)