PDA

View Full Version : Books are getting damaged...

Mcgons
02-05-2010, 04:13 PM
...mostly by my 18 month old, but the mindees sometimes take lots of books out of the basket at one time and they get left all over the place. The lift the flap ones are getting torn, and pages are getting ripped.

The basket of books is currently on the floor next to a beanbag, and the mindees have all used this space to sit and read on their own, or have chosen books and asked me to read. I'm worried if I move it higher up out of dd's reach, the others won't use the books as much, only when I instigate it.

The books aren't special ones to our family (I've kept those seperate) so do I just accept that they will get a good bashing and need to be replaced every now and then or should I move the basket off the floor? I am also now teaching the older mindees to put the books back and treat them more carefully.

What do you all do?

brightstar
02-05-2010, 04:55 PM
I only leave the cardboard books in reach, we get the others out for reading time.

sarah707
02-05-2010, 05:00 PM
I try and teach them really early on to put each book back once it has been read.

Maybe there are too many in your basket? Could you have 5 or 6 out and change them round regularly?

I only have board books out for little ones like cheekymonkey but yes they do get damaged sometimes.

I suppose it's all part of them learning to respect things isn't it?

:D

huggableshelly
02-05-2010, 07:15 PM
I have a bookcase with higher shelves for older childrens books and low shelves for the younger children, most are my own childrens books or handed from family members so doesnt matter is little ones have an accident with them.
the library books are kept high for use when we can all sit and share (including little uns) where I can 100% supervise rather than allowing free use.

Books are not made to last forever and often become damaged whilst a child learns how to use/hold one in a suitable way.

Mcgons
02-05-2010, 08:43 PM
Thanks for the suggestions.

Think I have too many book out at once (all of them!) so will try putting just the board books in the basket on the floor and the others out of reach of the little one.:)

helenlc
03-05-2010, 05:42 PM
I have just board books at the level that the children can get too. I have other books but we get these down at story time or when they are supervised with them.

I get a lot of my books from the charity shop so only about 20p or so. I do teach the children not to stand on the books and to put them back when they are finished wit them.

monkey62
03-05-2010, 11:13 PM
I will only have few books out ..maximum of 7-8 in a day and they get rotated every other day, so children get never bored with the same books and books doesn't get to damaged at the end of the week. I tend to use a lot of books from library as well.

miffy
04-05-2010, 05:43 AM
I try and teach them really early on to put each book back once it has been read.

Maybe there are too many in your basket? Could you have 5 or 6 out and change them round regularly?

I only have board books out for little ones like cheekymonkey but yes they do get damaged sometimes.

I suppose it's all part of them learning to respect things isn't it?

:D

I agree with Sarah, have fewer books out. They do get damaged sometimes - I've one child who loves to chew the corners :rolleyes:

Like someone says, charity shops can be a good source for cheap replacements

Miffy xx

The Juggler
04-05-2010, 06:20 AM
I teach them from a young age to look after the books, they don't get left on the floor. The babies can accidentally rip the lift the flap books so I tend to get more board books instead but I replace in the library sales (a carrier bag full for £2) and school summer fairs.

youarewhatyoueat
04-05-2010, 07:05 AM
Put any family favourites away, I never offer any special books or toys but have loads of books picked up from sales.