PDA

View Full Version : frogspawn

hollyoaksmad
02-05-2010, 02:37 PM
a few weeks ago we noticed this gunky stuff on the floor of our patio and thought it would just wash away

then yday mum checked it and it had grown reli big she seems to think its frogspawn so iv scooped them up which was hard and put them in a container with water.
i have no idea if they will actually come alive or not they are just black dots in gunky stuff.

dunno why a frog would lay its eggs on a patio floor there is no water or anything. can they live without water when born any advice be good thanx

Pauline
02-05-2010, 03:59 PM
That is strange!

They won't live without water, you would be best using rain water as tap water will probably have too many chemicals.

Hope they survive. :)

hollyoaksmad
02-05-2010, 04:09 PM
they were in the sun 4 ages as we thought it was gunk lol they maybe abit cooked now but then it rained and greww loads its weird

Pauline
02-05-2010, 04:58 PM
It's not star jelly is it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/autumnwatch/2009/10/autumnwatch_unsprung_the_great.html

breezy
02-05-2010, 05:29 PM
It's not star jelly is it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/autumnwatch/2009/10/autumnwatch_unsprung_the_great.html

wierd stuff!

hollyoaksmad
02-05-2010, 05:34 PM
thanx 4 the weblink the only thing is the gunk i av has black dots in it lol and i saw a frog hop in my garden other day but i have no pond lol

PixiePetal
02-05-2010, 05:38 PM
thanx 4 the weblink the only thing is the gunk i av has black dots in it lol and i saw a frog hop in my garden other day but i have no pond lol

you dont have to have a pond of your own to have frogs - they travel about to spawn. Maybe she just got lost on her way to a pond and couldn't hang on ?! :) We have frogs and toads in the garden - have to be careful when mowing :thumbsup:

hollyoaksmad
02-05-2010, 05:46 PM
lol ther still some stuck to the floor but cant get them but i hope the ones i have now are alive il post pics im sure the kids will like it to :)

haribo
02-05-2010, 06:01 PM
put it in a tank of water its great for the kids to see the tails and limbs appear then tiny little frogs (which then need something to sit on out of the water ) we have sometimes pinched some from our local pond and watched them grow then put them back in the pond :blush:

hollyoaksmad
02-05-2010, 06:03 PM
iv got most ov them in a tank but was reli hard get them off so so i think some maybe there :( im just unsure how shallow the water got to be for them

Bananabrain
02-05-2010, 06:26 PM
I would put them in a shallow container {clean washing up bowl} with a couple of rocks {when they grow into froglets they need something to climb onto} rain or pond water would be better but I'm sure my mum used to use tap water:laughing:
We used to have them alot as children and feed the tadpoles on cat food {tiny bits} They will grow tails first , then go all transparent and start growing legs. Obviously in the wild,they would eat tiny insects in the pond but my crazy mother used cat food and we used to have lots of tiny frogs{about thumbnail size} all over the kitchen. Only prob is then you have to find a pond or river to transplant them into.

haribo
02-05-2010, 06:55 PM
iv got most ov them in a tank but was reli hard get them off so so i think some maybe there :( im just unsure how shallow the water got to be for them

dont think it matters until they are little frogs then they start needing air to breathe but you could put some stones in to create a shelf they can climb onto ..we put about 5 inches of water i i think because they need room to swim aroud -like fish

little_gems
03-05-2010, 09:59 AM
we had frogspawn its now tadpoles. We've been feeding ours cucumber and they really like it. Once they get thier legs i think your ment to fed them worms or dog meat.

we went and brought a book about it as i had no idea what to do:blush: :blush:

They do take a long time from tadpoles to getting their legs so dont worry about b:blush: utting rocks and things like that in yet.

HTH

oh by the way the kids erally love our's. When we first got them my ds kissed the bowl goodnight every night before bed and the first thing in the morning.