PDA

View Full Version : Older Children

babs
30-04-2010, 10:28 PM
help.................... i wasnt going to take on older children was goin to keep it to under 5s but ive signed up 2 today 1 11 yrs before and after school 3 days a week and the other 13 after school 3 days a week , also for school hols..8 till 6 2 days 8 till 1 3rd day... So what do i do with them , my minds completely blank and they start tuesday so wanted some ideas ,so any help please...........

Bernie
30-04-2010, 10:49 PM
I would just play it by ear. Get all the crafty/playdough stuff ready, that is great for all ages.

Then I would just ask them when they arrive. They'll let you know what they enjoy and they will also let you know when the are 'BORED!' :laughing:

X

francinejayne
01-05-2010, 04:28 AM
My 9 year old and 12 year old love playing with the little ones lots! :thumbsup:

I also provide lots of craft opportunities and they tend to just come and go when they please to the craft table. They love helping me out - preparing lunch, cleaning :blush: , baking cakes, planning what we're going to do etc.

They all have their own scrap books so they love doing new pictures etc for that. I print off photo's of them which they stick in and make into their own diary.

They're allowed to watch TV in the lounge whilst the younger ones play in the conservatory - I limit it to Disney or Nickelodian, and they have the Wii too.

If the weather's nice we're more often than not outside, in the park or the garden. They go on the trampoline, but I also find that they love the sand and water table - basically things that they don't get the opportunity to do unless they're with me, as they're 'too old'!

selena 31
01-05-2010, 07:56 AM
Just wanted to say in the easter hols i got the gloop out ( cornflour and water) for my 4 and 6 yr dd's, then the one that sat at the table playing for over an hour was my 11 yr dd!! she loved it like the prevoius post think they dont get the oppurtunity to do these things as too old at school etc.
Another activitie mine have just done at school is make scarecrows and it was my 11yr od that was most excited at doing this!

sarah707
01-05-2010, 08:08 AM
You might find they arrive with electronic games as well...

You need to set ground rules straight away about the age / type of games allowed and whether they can charge them at your house or if they have to be charged overnight.

Hth :D

babs
01-05-2010, 02:54 PM
thanks for the replies...

MrsP
01-05-2010, 03:00 PM
I looked after my friends boys a few weeks ago and they loved playing with my 2 girls who are 2 and 4. Th boys are 7, 10 and 11 they liked to help to make things with my girls out of the playdough and see who could build the best sculpture. x

Monkey Martin
01-05-2010, 04:36 PM
I have a one older child who I look after too. Baking is always a hit. Just recently I have been getting them all planting seeds in pots in the garden. This is certainly an age wide activity! I was a bit nervous at first too, as she is an older girl and I usually have younger boys, but she fits in really well and loves the little ones.

You will be fine!
Catherine X