PDA

View Full Version : sleep in buggy

sophiemarie
30-04-2010, 04:09 PM
Hi I was just looking at the post my child won't sleep. I have a child that will only sleep in the buggy watching television I have spoke to mum and she is fine about this. My question is I have an OFSTED inspection soon how are they about watching television for rest as I won't be asking questions about the programme etc as I want the children to sleep.

sandy64
30-04-2010, 04:55 PM
i would get mum to put it in writing that its what she does at home and wants you to do it as well we are supose to work in partnership with parents and thats what you are doing.
im not sure what ofsted would say tho hopefully they wont come at bedtime.good luck with your inspection:)

helenlc
30-04-2010, 04:58 PM
Its a case of everything in moderation. If you say it helps the children to rest/sleep, then its fine.

When I had my Inspection, the LO I had asked about 1.30 for the TV on. As I had my Inspector there, I said Oh lets do a puzzle instead. My Inspector said Its fine. So I put the TV on and mindee was asleep in 2 minutes!!

If they know its part of their routine for sleep time, its fine. One of my LOs watches a bit of TV on the sofa while having his milk. If left, he would stay awake, so I let him watch it for 15 minutes, then switch it off and say Its sleep time and he is asleep in a few minutes!!

venus89
30-04-2010, 05:00 PM
im not sure what ofsted would say tho hopefully they wont come at bedtime.good luck with your inspection:)

:laughing: there's a potential solution in there!!!

I had a 6 month old who'd recently started with me when I had my inspection. His Mum picked him up and cuddled him all the time so he was used to that. She'd rock him to sleep in her arms. I always used to rock him to sleep in his baby carrier and whent he inspector came I explained to her why he wa being put down in the car seat and not the cot and she was fine about it

sarak31
01-05-2010, 07:59 AM
Be careful about sleeping in the buggy - they have to be in the same room as you at all times, regardless of whether you have a monitor or not. A good friend (an outstanding cminder) was pulled up on this and had ofsted inspectr on the phone whilst she was inspecting her to 'HQ' to establish whether she needed to report her for a safeguarding issue - which apparantly according to her inspector it is as there is a strangulation risk allowing children to sleep in the buggy without you watching them constantly, even if you ensure straps are secure and not slack etc. She said they should be in a travel cot if you can't stay with them at all times.

sarah707
01-05-2010, 08:06 AM
Be careful about sleeping in the buggy - they have to be in the same room as you at all times, regardless of whether you have a monitor or not. A good friend (an outstanding cminder) was pulled up on this and had ofsted inspectr on the phone whilst she was inspecting her to 'HQ' to establish whether she needed to report her for a safeguarding issue - which apparantly according to her inspector it is as there is a strangulation risk allowing children to sleep in the buggy without you watching them constantly, even if you ensure straps are secure and not slack etc. She said they should be in a travel cot if you can't stay with them at all times.

Hmmm yes I have heard this one before as well.

However you also have to provide children with a quiet place to sleep, so how does that happen if they are in the same room as you with all the other children?

I think I would argue it if an inspector got picky... but in the meantime make sure you have written prior permission from parents and that you are actively monitoring the child's well being regularly.

Hth :D

pinky33
01-05-2010, 08:55 PM
On our inspection baby was asleep in garden, Mrs O couldn't have praised us enough she thought it was fab!

blue bear
02-05-2010, 08:12 AM
I had an inspection where child went into buggy for a sleep, got an outstanding - inspector praised how settled LO was at nap time.

rachelle
02-05-2010, 04:50 PM
mine was asleep in a buggy when ofsted arrived!

I had put it in my sef as an example of working in partnership and adapting practice to work with parents :thumbsup:

singlewiththree
03-05-2010, 06:47 AM
When my inspector came I put mindee in the hallway to sleep in the buggy and she was fine about that and I was in the living room with the inspector.

onceinabluemoon
03-05-2010, 07:57 AM
Hi I was just looking at the post my child won't sleep. I have a child that will only sleep in the buggy watching television I have spoke to mum and she is fine about this. My question is I have an OFSTED inspection soon how are they about watching television for rest as I won't be asking questions about the programme etc as I want the children to sleep.

As others have said ask mum to confirm in writing that this is ok. I would also add that I think it may depend on the buggy you are using as far as ofsted are concerned (or even for baby's safety which of course is far more important). For example whilst they may be okay with a buggy that lays flat they may not be ok with one that merely reclines a little as there is then a risk of suffocation due to the position of the child's neck (also with baby car seats which is why lay flat car seats are recommended for babies). I could be way off beam here but it could also be worth thinking about.