PDA

View Full Version : Texts from parent

crazyhazy
30-04-2010, 12:53 PM
Does anyone else get texts from their mindees parents? My only mindees mum doesn't seem to like telling me things face to face, I didn't mind in the first week her texting to ask how mindee was getting on etc. But at least twice a week I'm getting texts from her long after I've finished (drop mindee at preschool at 1230, these texts are usually about 5ish) questioning me on things. So far, I've been asked if I have given mindee a drink (random since she sends her with a packed lunch and drink anyway), if she'd been painting (she had but at preschool so the paint on her clothes wasn't my fault) and yesterday it was asking why her lunch bag was sticky & if I had her £3 change from preschool?!

I decided not to reply yesterday, I mean surely if your childs lunch bag is sticky you just clean it?! Incidently I have no idea why it was, maybe the fruit pastills her mum had stuck in the bottom might explain it though!

Does anyone else get silly texts like this from parents? How do you handle it? I am very tempted to just stop replying to anything non urgent, do you think this is reasonable?

Curly Quavers
30-04-2010, 12:56 PM
I communicate a lot by text with my mums however not for this kind of drivel.

Do you do a daily diary?

If I were you I would start one if you don't already and if she starts with this nonsense simply say it's in the diary. (just make sure your diaries have as much info as poss) she will soon get the message lol

Tam's Tribe
30-04-2010, 01:06 PM
I communicate a lot by text with my mums however not for this kind of drivel.

Me too! . . . . .

crazyhazy
30-04-2010, 01:15 PM
drivel! That's the word I was searching for! I don't have a daily diary for her, but think I will start one when I get back from holiday and see if it helps, thanks.

Bananabrain
30-04-2010, 01:17 PM
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:
Sorry to laugh but the word 'drivel' really tickled me.
'Have you given my child a drink?' What are they like????:laughing:

angiemog
30-04-2010, 01:18 PM
I communicate by texts with mums too but generally it's me asking the questions...... If it was me I wouldn't answer and wait until the next time I see them to answer.

Goatgirl
30-04-2010, 01:22 PM
Hi :),
i'm inclined to agree with you: stop replying. If she asks did you get my txt next time you see her, just say oh yes it didn't seem urgent/ I forgot all all about it/ I haven't even looked at my phone - I assume you would speak to me in person about any real concerns you have?! Otherwise I assume its not that important.
There's a space on the diary sheets I send home for parents' comments and they voice any concerns at hand over: If i'm busy I'll ask them to ring/txt later 'when I can think'.
Sounds annoying and about petty little things... hope you don't have any more trouble from her :)

bws,
Wendy :)

HELEN10
30-04-2010, 01:23 PM
I get texts like that too and just ignore if it is not important. I also don't reply to anything they send me outside my work hours:)

caz3007
30-04-2010, 01:52 PM
We do communicate by texts but its usually about changes or hours.

But I would get fed up with those sort of texts, of course you gave the child a drink and if the child did get paint on its clothes at your house, then I am very sorry, but its not the end of the world.

youarewhatyoueat
30-04-2010, 02:50 PM
I have a daily diary/message book which mum can write anything in when she thinks of it. I would just ask mum to write in her diary and save her texts as you don't always check your phone when the children have gone home.

Daftbat
30-04-2010, 02:57 PM
I get some texts but mainly hours/day confirmations or to tell me child not coming or picking up early - nothing i wouldn't expect.

Tealady
30-04-2010, 06:12 PM
I get texts if thery are going to pick up early or not send mindee. One parent also texts me asking me to make cards with their child for members of their family. I did it a few times, now they ask for every occasion and it's starting to pee me off :angry:

Mollymop
30-04-2010, 06:42 PM
I get txts rather than phone calls but never anything like this

Sounds like this parent needs to trust you a bit more and stop with the moaning.

If one of my mindees got paint on their clothes while here and a parent had something to say about it I would be likely saying "well they are children, it will happen, maybe put her in older clothes":rolleyes:

R.E - Sticky lunch box txt her back saying- " Hi, maybe because it needs cleaning"

R.E - have you given mindee a drink yet - "Of course I have, drinks are always available as you know"

Subtle ways of saying --- Don't take the biscuit woman, I am likely to care for your child as much if not better than you (sorry but I think us minders are consientious ((SP?)) in everything we do)

Hope she calms down soon x

sarah707
30-04-2010, 08:05 PM
I used to have a parent who would question her child about every minute of the day with me / at nursery.

Then I'd get the strangest questions about what happened with the drink at lunch time or what I'd said in answer to the child's comment about something totally off the wall.

I figured eventually that the child was embellishing because mum was so interested in everything she was saying :rolleyes:

So I told mum that it had to stop, either she trusted me or she used someone else.

I simply wasn't happy to live under what I felt was constant suspicion.

She did stop after that but the child is older now and still tells terrible tales about everyone and everything. :(

I think you need to speak up if it's upsetting or annoying you. Hugs xx

sam lush
30-04-2010, 08:11 PM
sorry but can you help i am new to this and i dont know how to post a message thanks for your help sam lush

sarah707
30-04-2010, 08:30 PM
sorry but can you help i am new to this and i dont know how to post a message thanks for your help sam lush

You are doing just fine!

I've approved 2 of your messages already tonight and a third is waiting for our forum owner Pauline to look at first.

When you are a new member your posts need to be checked by the moderators or owner just to make sure you are not a spammer.

All forums are plagued by spammers - they are usually machines that send nasty or spamming messages...

Pauline puts the moderation in place to protect everyone.

Once you've been here a while and posted some replies and messages you won't need moderating any more.

Meanwhile your posts might take a little time to show up ... we are all volunteers and not always here.

I hope this makes sense and welcome to the forum! :D

Gizmo
30-04-2010, 09:24 PM
I have one mum you texts me 5 mins before she is due to drop off saying she forgot to tell me she is going to be late, and another that always phones me at nap time to see how her lo is, mmm yes she is fine and you have just woken her up again with the phone

It's a small world
01-05-2010, 05:19 AM
I get txts off parents but like others its usually about hrs or just to see if their Ok ( especially if upset when parent left) . Sticky lunch box - well parent needs to clean it :eek: did she ask nursery why it was sticky???? As for paint on clothes well I always tell parents to send children in old clothes as we do lots of coluring, painting etc and wouldn't you be more pleased that your child is a little messy it shows that they've had a fun day rather than go home clean and tidy , spick n span because they've done no activities incase they get dirty??? Even with aprons on my lo's still manage to get a little paint on them but parents don't mind as long as child has had fun :)

selena 31
01-05-2010, 07:49 AM
Maybey you could tell mum you only have your moblie switched on during working hours ? might stop her texting at night times.

Some parents dont realise we have lives too x

Lincsminder
01-05-2010, 08:25 AM
I have a parent who text when she knows I will say no if she rings. She figures if i say no by text she can claim she never saw it. I think her plan might start to work both ways.
Her child comes to me after school and her little one is wih me all day. The youngest has a nap in the afternoon so sometimes my assisatant will do the school run so I dont have to wake up the ones that are asleep. The other day she said she would be picking up her child from school and could I meet her there with the little one. So at pick up time I woke the sleeping babies and took them up to school in the rain only for the mum to text me at 3.15pm (school finishes at 3.20) to say she wasnt going to make it after all and she would be collect at the usual time of 5.30.
I was so blimming cross she must of known at 2.30 she wasnt going to be back in time so why leave it to the last min to text me.

funfunfun
01-05-2010, 11:51 AM
If it was somthing " important " I would quicky text back .

If she left the house and is texting 10 mins late im assumeing you are still working , and having other mindees around i wouldnt bother .

When she drops child off and asks if you recieved the text simply say

" yes i did (smile sweetly) i was working and far too busy to text you back i assumed you would clean x's lunch bag on a daily basis & x had paint on clothes when i collected "

i would just talk answer anything when mum drops off .

Maybe have a newsletter stateing that after your finish time you switch off your " mobile " as its for work purposes and after x oclock its your family time

:)

ManicMum
02-05-2010, 05:05 PM
I used to get texts from now ex-mindee parent but couldn't understand half of them due to the illiterate text speak. Could have been saying anything. I can understand things like gr8 or l8r but this was just gobbledegook. gna was gonna (apparently!). No niceties either. Just ' gna nd u m,t,w'. No hello, how are you or thanks. Any particular time? Got fed up in end and just expected her to turn up anytime from 7am-8.45am. Couldn't be bothered to keep asking her to give me more info.

Bevbeetle
02-05-2010, 05:52 PM
i got a text last night at wait for it .............................02.30 forgot to tell mindee wont be with you tues till 9.00 (usually comes 9.30) i txted her back this morning said y did she text me at that time her answer i had been out thought you would still be up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!