PDA

View Full Version : Selective Mutism - BEST UPDATE EVER!

Carpet Monkeys
29-04-2010, 09:03 PM
Well, it was the class assembly today! I've been going to the school on a regular basis over the last week, helping my DS with his line, but he's never said his line! Before the assembly they were rehearsing again, and nothing was said, however, the other children went back to the class and he said he wanted to try with the microphone, so that's what we did and he said his line. I was more or less convinced that he wouldn't say it at all!

Then the big moment came, hall full of children and parents, teacher counted him in and in a lovely clear voice (aided with microphone), he said his line!!! :clapping: :clapping: I looked at the teacher, we gave each other the thumbs and both promptly started to cry, the head, the TA and two teachers sat either side of me were crying to.

At the end of the assembly the head said that it was a fantastic assembly in more ways than one, and everytime he hears 4 words 'Welcome to our Assembly' in an assembly again, it will remind him of a certain person!! You could see that the other parents were wondering what the fuss was all about and why lots of the teachers were crying along with me, he then said that if they wanted to know more to keep an eye in the local paper for an article which will make it clearer.

There were hugs all round and more tears after the assembly!

I am so proud of my DS and his wonderful teacher ... :thumbsup:

PS - Will post a link to the article once it's up!

WibbleWobble
29-04-2010, 09:06 PM
your updates make me cry and smile at the same time.:)

I am proud of him..and i have never met him!

he is doing so well:clapping:

and so are you:thumbsup:

love mandy xxxx

louise
29-04-2010, 09:07 PM
Wow that is fantastic. I have tears just reading it. x

littletreasures
29-04-2010, 09:07 PM
How fantastic. He has come on in leaps and bounds.

You must be so proud of him. Well done for all the hard work. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

I look forward to reading the article.

PixiePetal
29-04-2010, 09:10 PM
now i have tears in my eyes too:blush:

wonderful. What a star :thumbsup:

RachelE
29-04-2010, 09:11 PM
Fantastic!

I too had tears in my eyes!

Well done! :thumbsup:

So glad you have a good relationship with the school to continue the work done so far.

Great news! :)

Rachel x

janedoe
30-04-2010, 06:25 AM
WOW, Your boy is a wee super star! You must soooo proud! :clapping:

The Juggler
30-04-2010, 06:28 AM
wow! that is so lovely honx

Twinklestars
30-04-2010, 12:50 PM
great news :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

Trouble
30-04-2010, 01:18 PM
well done young man you should be very proud of yourself:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

loocyloo
30-04-2010, 04:51 PM
fantastic. made me cry too.

xxxxxxxxx

TheBTeam
30-04-2010, 08:49 PM

love mandy xxxx

Just thinking the say, with tears welling up!

LOOPYLISA
30-04-2010, 08:54 PM
now i have tears in my eyes too:blush:

wonderful. What a star :thumbsup:

me too :blush: :clapping:

Gizmo
30-04-2010, 09:07 PM
fantastic no wonder you cried :clapping:

sarah707
30-04-2010, 09:10 PM
Wow what a very clever young man! :clapping:

Carpet Monkeys
30-04-2010, 09:18 PM
Thank you for your kind words, we are all still grinning from ear to ear ..... especially as I received an email from the Journalist to say we are on page 3 of the local rag tomorrow!!!!

Pauline
30-04-2010, 09:27 PM
Bless him, no wonder you are all grinning like Cheshire cats :thumbsup:

babs
30-04-2010, 10:20 PM
well done to him .... :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: smiling with a tear in my eye too

Tired
01-05-2010, 05:13 AM
that is so fantastic.

well done to him:clapping:

mama2three
01-05-2010, 06:31 AM

love mandy xxxx

exactly how i feel too. What an amazing ds you have :clapping:

ajs
01-05-2010, 06:45 AM
what a lovely story
you are rightly so proud of your son he's done dso well

i am so happy to hear a good story about a school though all you hear these days is negatives how the school won't work with parents and leave children who are struggling to struggle
i would write to Ofsted praising the schools support, and in particular his teacher they must hear only too often complaints i think it would be a nice thing for Ofsted to know about.

Carpet Monkeys
01-05-2010, 07:33 AM
what a lovely story
you are rightly so proud of your son he's done dso well

i am so happy to hear a good story about a school though all you hear these days is negatives how the school won't work with parents and leave children who are struggling to struggle
i would write to Ofsted praising the schools support, and in particular his teacher they must hear only too often complaints i think it would be a nice thing for Ofsted to know about.

Hi Mandy

I was wondering how I could get the school recognition, especially his teacher, I'm going to nominate her for the Teacher of the Year Awards next year, I've already given her a letter thanking her and got the local newspaper involved.

Ofsted is a great idea, shall do that this weekend!! Thanks for that!

peanuts
01-05-2010, 08:29 AM
ive had tears reading your updates. you must be so proud of him

Shirlwith3
01-05-2010, 09:34 AM
That is great news, every tiem I read your updates they always bring tears to my eyes.

Toothfairy
01-05-2010, 11:13 AM
There goes my mascara again, I always end up in tears when I read your updates.:blush:

What fantastic news. :thumbsup:

sonia ann
01-05-2010, 03:45 PM
I'm so pleased for you all :)

helenlc
01-05-2010, 09:04 PM
That is EXCELLENT news!!!:clapping:

What an important line too - everyone wants that one!!!

It brought tears to my eyes and I feel so proud for you and your wonderful DS.

Carpet Monkeys
04-05-2010, 06:40 PM
Well, the article was supposed to be in Saturday's paper, but alas a grenade in Portsmouth ousted us out ... just waiting on another slot in the paper again. However, today received a call from a News Agency and they have got hold of the article and want to send it on to National Papers ..... they will let me know if we get into any, so keep 'em peeled girls!! At this rate, who knows may be on the sofa with Phillip and Holly next week lol!!!!

TammyN
04-05-2010, 06:49 PM
:clapping: your story is so emotional, so glad you have shared it with us. sounds like you have a great support system with your school, well done to you and your son. i'll look out for you with Phil this week :laughing:

Tammy

Well, the article was supposed to be in Saturday's paper, but alas a grenade in Portsmouth ousted us out ... just waiting on another slot in the paper again. However, today received a call from a News Agency and they have got hold of the article and want to send it on to National Papers ..... they will let me know if we get into any, so keep 'em peeled girls!! At this rate, who knows may be on the sofa with Phillip and Holly next week lol!!!!

Carpet Monkeys
04-05-2010, 07:16 PM
Looks like we are going to be in the Telegraph tomorrow - here (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/7676909/Boy-speaks-to-teacher-for-first-time-after-selective-mutism-therapy.html)

sonia ann
04-05-2010, 07:26 PM
Looks like we are going to be in the Telegraph tomorrow - here (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/7676909/Boy-speaks-to-teacher-for-first-time-after-selective-mutism-therapy.html)

Thats brilliant:clapping: :clapping:

haribo
05-05-2010, 02:18 PM
just read your story in the daily mail - it IS you isnt it ??:clapping: :clapping:

sonia ann
05-05-2010, 04:49 PM
just read your story in the daily mail - it IS you isnt it ??:clapping: :clapping:
whereabouts?? I can't find it:( ....maybe there are different regional papers?

haribo
05-05-2010, 05:34 PM
whereabouts?? I can't find it:( ....maybe there are different regional papers?

Its online im so sorry cant do links :blush: scroll down quite far - apologies if its not the same but the story is certainly similar :)

Carpet Monkeys
05-05-2010, 08:44 PM
Yep it's us Daily Mail, Daily Telegraph .... another local paper has contacted us, been to the local radio station and BBC World Service in Brazil has been in touch!!!

Daily Mail Article (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1272631/Lewis-Fawcett-Schoolboy-speaks-teacher-time-overcoming-selective-mutism.html)

haribo
05-05-2010, 08:50 PM
Yep it's us Daily Mail, Daily Telegraph .... another local paper has contacted us, been to the local radio station and BBC World Service in Brazil has been in touch!!!

Daily Mail Article (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-1272631/Lewis-Fawcett-Schoolboy-speaks-teacher-time-overcoming-selective-mutism.html)

yaayy- knew it was you as soon as i read it . :clapping: :clapping: