PDA

View Full Version : Re: Sun Article

helenlc
29-04-2010, 08:06 PM
Has anyone else had an email from Elizabeth Cobbe from the Press Complaints Commission?

The Commission have considered the matter and are writing to The Sun newspaper for its comments!!

It would be nice to get a response from the paper in regards to their article and all the complaints we made!!!:laughing:

Pipsqueak
29-04-2010, 08:17 PM
yes ditto to that, (re the email from pcC)

TheBTeam
29-04-2010, 08:19 PM
I only emailed the sun direct and no response to that.

helenlc
29-04-2010, 08:35 PM
I only emailed the sun direct and no response to that.

I emailled to journalist at The Sun but also the Press Complaints Comission.

The Juggler
29-04-2010, 08:37 PM
we wait with baited breath - would be nice if they published an apology woudln't it!

helenlc
29-04-2010, 08:49 PM
we wait with baited breath - would be nice if they published an apology woudln't it!

Definitely!! And for the journalist to realised how offensive and off the mark his use of the word "childminder" was!!

caz3007
30-04-2010, 05:59 AM
I only emailed the journalist and the sun live desk thingy.

I did notice an article in the News of the World at the weekend that actually said 'unregistered childminder', it was only a tiny article and I think a child died, so perhaps they have listened a bit to what we have had to say

chibault
30-04-2010, 06:19 AM
Did anyone request a reply with their complaint? Means they have to be considered properly if you request a reply as they have to think how to apologise or defend themselves...

helenlc
30-04-2010, 03:23 PM
Did anyone request a reply with their complaint? Means they have to be considered properly if you request a reply as they have to think how to apologise or defend themselves...

I cant remember to be honest.:blush: I think I said either a personal reply or an apology in the paper.

Alibali
30-04-2010, 04:25 PM
I got that too, and yes I asked for a response, something along the lines of 'I look forward to your reply'.

helenlc
30-04-2010, 04:30 PM
I have now received this from the PCC:

Dear Ms Charlesworth,

I write further to email of 29 April.

I have now received a response from the newspaper, which I have attached in full to this email.

As you will see, the newspaper understands your concerns and has offered to publish a letter from you in order to allow you to voice your opinion. The newspaper has suggested the following wording:

Your article about the murder of a three-year-old boy (March 27) incorrectly described those responsible as childminders. Ofsted registered childminders like me go through CRB checks and have First Aid certificates, insurance and training. I pay a yearly fee, adhere to a set of strict guidelines and regular inspections to ensure the care I give is suitable and children in my care are safe and well looked after. I was shocked and angry these people were described as childminders. They were not.
Helen Charlesworth
Ofsted Registered Childminder
XXXXXXX (need home town)

I should be grateful to receive your comments on this suggestion as soon as is convenient. Should you accept the offer of a letter, I would be pleased to hear any alterations you may wish to make to the wording.

Yours sincerely,

Elizabeth Cobbe

Would you go with their wording or shall I put forward my own? What is everyone else doing who has recieved this?

green puppy
30-04-2010, 08:45 PM
So they are not going to apologise then? Publishing a letter voicing your opinion isn't the same as them admitting that the headline that they wrote is wrong. Bit of a cop out on their part I think, I would use your own wording if you accept this offer.

helenlc
01-05-2010, 02:19 PM
I might say that I will accept their wording - if they also put a bit with the letter apologizing, on their behalf, for any offense caused to us childminders.

What do you think?

green puppy
01-05-2010, 06:40 PM
I think the paper need to admit or acknowledge their mistake. How about something along the lines of....

On the 27th march your paper published an article regarding the tragic death of a toddler. The case was heart breaking, I felt particularly sad as a mother of a young child myself. The journalist also described the monsters that murdered this little boy as childminders. This also saddend me as I too am a childminder. However, the journalist was incorrect and they were not childminders but a family member and her boyfriend. As a registered childminder I am regulated by ofsted, adhere to strict regulations and undertake lots of training including safeguarding children. A huge part of a childminders job is to keep children happy, healthy and above all safe. To give our professional name to the sick twisted monsters in your article is deeply offensive. Parents need to be able to trust registered childminders 100% when they leave their children in their care and misleading and poorly researched headlines such as yours can be damaging to the childminding profession. I hope that you will acknowledge your mistake and apologise to the thousands of childminders who daily provide a safe, secure and loving environment to thousands of children, sadly an environment little Ryan never got to experience.

Or something like that, I don't know.

helenlc
01-05-2010, 08:58 PM
I think the paper need to admit or acknowledge their mistake. How about something along the lines of....

On the 27th march your paper published an article regarding the tragic death of a toddler. The case was heart breaking, I felt particularly sad as a mother of a young child myself. The journalist also described the monsters that murdered this little boy as childminders. This also saddend me as I too am a childminder. However, the journalist was incorrect and they were not childminders but a family member and her boyfriend. As a registered childminder I am regulated by ofsted, adhere to strict regulations and undertake lots of training including safeguarding children. A huge part of a childminders job is to keep children happy, healthy and above all safe. To give our professional name to the sick twisted monsters in your article is deeply offensive. Parents need to be able to trust registered childminders 100% when they leave their children in their care and misleading and poorly researched headlines such as yours can be damaging to the childminding profession. I hope that you will acknowledge your mistake and apologise to the thousands of childminders who daily provide a safe, secure and loving environment to thousands of children, sadly an environment little Ryan never got to experience.

I was thinking more along your lines but dont think they will print it if it sounds too vehement.:blush:

So I might tone it down a bit :laughing: and have a re-jig of the words.

green puppy
02-05-2010, 08:22 AM
I might say that I will accept their wording - if they also put a bit with the letter apologizing, on their behalf, for any offense caused to us childminders.

What do you think?

Perhaps this is best then. Good luck.

Pipsqueak
02-05-2010, 07:39 PM

i think that is pretty darned accurate :thumbsup:

mind you I haven't heard anything back at all.

green puppy
02-05-2010, 08:46 PM
Thanks Pipsqueak, from the email Helen received it just sounds like the paper are skirting around the complaint, especially by "suggesting wording". I'm sure Helen will respond well, her original email complaint was great. And if the paper refuse to comment I guess we keep on complaining?

helenlc
03-05-2010, 05:40 PM
Thanks Pipsqueak, from the email Helen received it just sounds like the paper are skirting around the complaint, especially by "suggesting wording". I'm sure Helen will respond well, her original email complaint was great. And if the paper refuse to comment I guess we keep on complaining?

Thanks for that.:thumbsup:

I am not happy with their wording as I dont think it captures the full extent of how offended we were and how far off the mark they were by calling those vile people childminders.

I shall think on my reply and get back to the PCC lady tomorrow.

Will keep you posted:D