PDA

View Full Version : Help.....i dont think my insurance will cover a child?!

dusky777
29-04-2010, 01:23 PM
Hi im really hoping someone can advise me on a problem i have?
My neice (in law) has asked me to look after her 2 children in the hoildays one is 9 the other 12. The 12 year old want to be able to go out with his friends but im not sure this is going to work for insurance purposes, Im only charging for the 12 yr olds food unless he spend the day ie if its raining.
Can anyone advise?
Thanks

SammyM
29-04-2010, 01:30 PM
You need to call yur insurance company to make doubley sure, in my opinion if they aren't in your care at all times then you won't be covered.

jaja
29-04-2010, 01:34 PM
i did this with one of my mindees, he had a mobile phone and had to be back at certain times throughout the day, he rarely went anyway, i had the parents write me a letter giving there son permission to go out to play and they took full repsonibity for there son whilst he was out. Ofsted were find with it and insurance was too as i would be on call if he needed anything at all....

hope this helps xx

Blaze
29-04-2010, 01:36 PM
I am pretty sure (from reading threads on the forum) that NCMA allow this with written parental consent & MM don't.
HTH:)

caz3007
29-04-2010, 01:38 PM
I wouldnt have thought you would be covered when the child is out and about. Is it every day, cos if its not, perhaps you would have to say that the child stays in on the days you are looking after them.

I had a 13 year old come to me for 4 out of 6 weeks of the summer holidays and he had to stay with me at all times.

Its a difficult one, but couldnt you just do it as a relative and not as a childminder, that you are there if the child needs you and perhaps just charge for the days they are actually with you. Although I would get the parents to sign something to say they realise you arent liable whilst the child is out. Bet someone will say this isnt allowed :panic: :panic:

caz3007
29-04-2010, 01:39 PM
i did this with one of my mindees, he had a mobile phone and had to be back at certain times throughout the day, he rarely went anyway, i had the parents write me a letter giving there son permission to go out to play and they took full repsonibity for there son whilst he was out. Ofsted were find with it and insurance was too as i would be on call if he needed anything at all....

hope this helps xx

Thats interesting, some of my after schoolies and holiday children are going to High School in September, but their mums would want me to continue with them, but I am finding they are bored and wanting to do more than I will allow, perhaps I need to look into this

youarewhatyoueat
29-04-2010, 01:40 PM
Get the mum to put in writing exactly where he is allowed to go, make sure the child understands that he has to let you know where he is and what he is doing. If you and he can talk before he comes and you can trust him and mum is happy with the arrangement then you should be fine.To be honest what is it you are expecting the insurance to cover.

dusky777
29-04-2010, 02:01 PM
Thats for your advise everyone...i have been registered since Jan and still have no mindees!! this is going to be some much needed cash!!

christine e
29-04-2010, 04:25 PM
Your insurance covers you if you are negligent in some way so if you let him walk on railway lines and a train comes along etc etc then one could say you were negligent because you should have stopped him. If he is out on his own then you are not there to stop him and you are letting him do as parent says. I think in this case you need to take advice from your insurers who may say no, if they say yes then I would think they would require you to get a disclaimer from parent.

Christine

miffy
29-04-2010, 04:29 PM
I wouldn't be comfortable being responsible for a child when I didn't know where they were or what they were doing.

If you're going to take this on make sure you've got everything in writing to cover yourself.

Miffy xx

funemnx
29-04-2010, 06:53 PM
This is interesting as a childminder friend of mine lets all her over 8's play on a green near her house but only has a verbal agreement with the parents. It might be worth mentioning to her about the insurance side of things and getting written permission from the parents - that why this forum is so great! :)