PDA

View Full Version : Ofsteds Clarification on Bathing Mindees'

Bernie
29-04-2010, 06:22 AM
Thank you all for all your replies on my post 'Tandem Bathing'. I too am very sad that the world has got to this state where a carer has to choose wipes over a good old bath to protect yourself and the child. But hey ho!

I have been doing a little bit of 'asking' regarding whether you can bath or not bath.

I also agree that if it is not an emergency you should just wipe up as best you can. But on those days when the mud has got the better of them, or the paint pot found its way over their head or their poo decided to venture all the way up their back, this is what Ofsted have said....

I am replying to your email about whether you can bath minded children.

There is nothing in the EYFS to prevent you from bathing children, in
the same way that you would provide intimate and personal care for any
child in your care, if required.
You need to conduct a risk assessment, ensure parents are aware and are
happy for you to bathe their child and under what circumstances you
would do this. Written parental permission would cover this.

I hope this answers your query. Please do not hesitate to contact the
help desk again if you require any further information.

Maureen

Maureen Sinclair
Quality Assurance Manager
Quality Assurance National Team
On behalf of Ann Tallboys HMI
Divisional Manager
Edit/Delete Message

Pauline
29-04-2010, 06:29 AM
Thanks for that, it ought to be covered by a touch policy or you could add a little to it to say that intimate care will include bathing if necessary.

Looks like another 'just in case' risk assessment is needed :rolleyes:

angeldelight
29-04-2010, 06:32 AM
Thanks for the update

Angel xxx

angiemog
29-04-2010, 08:21 AM
Thanks for clarifying it. x

breezy
29-04-2010, 09:08 AM
thats great, thanks

Goatgirl
29-04-2010, 09:56 AM
Ah, thanks for that :): very useful information.

Another policy and permission form, hehe, the parents will be pleased :rolleyes:

bws,
Wendy :)

The Juggler
29-04-2010, 10:20 AM
thank you! i can't see really how bathing is much different to nappy changing - they are both pretty intimate really.

singlewiththree
29-04-2010, 11:02 AM
I'm glad it was a pro bathing as I had to bath mindee the other day as I turned her into an AVATAR!. The blue washable paint I used just wouldn't come off with wipes so ended up bathing her and it is still there now but starting to fade!!!

maisiemog
29-04-2010, 12:19 PM
Thanks!

I have to bath a mindee once a week cos her mum is at college til 9pm and she doesnt get picked up til 9.15pm. I bath her, get her ready for bed and she goes to sleep til mum picks her up. Mum asked me to do that and I'd already risk assessed it and got permissions etc so glad I was doing the right thing!

Daftbat
29-04-2010, 12:22 PM
thank you! i can't see really how bathing is much different to nappy changing - they are both pretty intimate really.

I can't see how anything can be more intimate than nappy changing. Over the years i have bathed several children - some because they were mucky when they arrived!

I think its time we stopped the world - I want to get off from this PC world we are in - it drives me nuts:angry:

Leanne59
29-04-2010, 12:33 PM
thanks for the clarifcation I was wondering were we stood with bathing chidren..:thumbsup: