PDA

View Full Version : Now he won't eat!!!

funemnx
28-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Ok, so minding a lovely (mostly) boy. He's 18 months (I've had him since 5 months) but what a temper!! He'll howl at the slightest thing and always been tricky but ate well and slept well. This week he's decided he'll have breakfast (after some perssuasion) but no lunch and no dinner. He's really hungry by 3 p.m. if I give him his sandwich he shakes his head and howls, if I leave him with it on the floor, he keeps looking at it and picking it up, putting to his mouth and then puts it down again! He wants to eat it, but can't seem to let himself. Not just sandwich but fruit which he loves, yoghurt, his dinner - everything! Is he a terrible 2 only early? He's not ill, teething but having calpol. He's recently gone from the heinz 12+ food to home food but that doesn't account for the sandwiches which he's been having for ages. He's not talking or walking yet - but can it be that? Any ideas anyone? :panic:

babs
28-04-2010, 07:42 PM
could just be his teeth my great neice is about the same age and at moment very much same with food some days she eats others she puts it in mouth takes it out again, has always been a really god eater, mum took her docs he just said leave her when she hungry she wil eat... shes teething

funemnx
28-04-2010, 07:47 PM
Thanks for that - it's been so long since my lot were young that I forget how it is. I remember 1 of my 4 boys only ate 5 things for nearly 2 years and he's 6'2! I know they don't starve themselves, but hate sending them home hungry, he did finally eat some homemade pizza today at 5 so possibly teeth and possibly a bit of fussiness - me? I'll eat anything!!! LOL :)

WibbleWobble
28-04-2010, 07:56 PM
i have one (11 months) who is cuddly, smiley, eats like a horse

but wont drink!!!

he is still bf at home in the morning and knocks juice back at home.

Tried everything...combinations of their juice, my juice, his cup, my cups, just leaving the cup next to him, giving it to him every so often

nothing

he will have a sip after eating anything...i think this is just to clean his mouth.

mandy xxxxx

youarewhatyoueat
28-04-2010, 09:11 PM
i have one (11 months) who is cuddly, smiley, eats like a horse

but wont drink!!!

he is still bf at home in the morning and knocks juice back at home.

Tried everything...combinations of their juice, my juice, his cup, my cups, just leaving the cup next to him, giving it to him every so often

nothing

he will have a sip after eating anything...i think this is just to clean his mouth.

mandy xxxxx

Have you tried water bottles. the type you buy with spring water in, I don't know why but children seem to like drinking water from them. If my children are playing outside i'll give them a bottle nd they will guzzle it, give them a cup and they only drink half!!!!

mushpea
29-04-2010, 06:07 AM
it could be teething or could his mouth be sore from somthing like and ulcer or a cut tounge? if not its probably just stubbornness,,, at home if he dosent eat whats put in front of him does parent give him somthing else? if so this could be what he is waiting for you to do ,,, i have a child like this but im afraid at mine its eat whats put in front of you or go without

Bernie
29-04-2010, 06:33 AM
My DS went though the not eating stage when teething. I found that if I gave him Ashton & Parsons teething powders 10mins before food time he would eat. Maybe worth getting permission from Mum to give it a try. It seemed to work most of the time.

x

WibbleWobble
29-04-2010, 06:39 AM
Have you tried water bottles. the type you buy with spring water in, I don't know why but children seem to like drinking water from them. If my children are playing outside i'll give them a bottle nd they will guzzle it, give them a cup and they only drink half!!!!

we tried the bottles......no drinky!

he has only been here for 4 weeks really...we have had a lot of illness over the last 6 weeks (he was involved in the norovirus and chicken pox escapades!) I think he is just settling in.

but i am documenting what he is drinking in his Daily Diary

mandy xxxxx