PDA

View Full Version : Due to start anyday !!!

funfunfun
28-04-2010, 06:53 AM
and have no children to start with !!!!!!

i dont know what to do ?? had lots of enquiries but thats it ........and always seem to be a bit too far away .

im v worried that i will start and have no one (omg) panic

advice please from you lovelly minders who have years and years of experience ????

Thankyou

miffy
28-04-2010, 07:00 AM
Don't panic!!!!

Have you advertised? Make sure you get your name on the FIS website as soon as you're registered.

Tell everyone you meet that you are registering - do you know any local cm's who can pass on your details to parents?

Good luck

Miffy xx

maisiemog
28-04-2010, 07:02 AM
Hey,

I've been registered for 6 months now and only had my 1st LO start last week. My advice would be to try another huge advertising campaign. Where are you advertising? Get yourself noticed out and about, at your childminder drop-ins, toddler groups etc as word of mouth really helps!

Have you thought of asking the parents who have enquired why they chose not to sign up with you? That might help you.

Other than that just need to have lots of patience. Things are definately improving now that there are more jobs out there! I've had more enquiries in the last 2 weeks than I have had in the previous 6 mths!
Good Luck!

sandy64
28-04-2010, 07:23 AM
hi all i can say is advertise ive took cards to college nursery are putting leaflets in new in take packs register on childcare .co.uk ive somone coming tonight from there:clapping: when you have had people round why dont you give them a call and ask for feed back at least you may get some ideas to improve add etc i wish you lots of phone calls:laughing:

Jelly Baby
28-04-2010, 08:24 AM
Hi im another one for the advertising route!
I do the following:

Magnets on car
Stickers in car
Ads at school/newsagents
flyers/newsletters at school/pre school
ads in play centres
baby clinics..doctors although some wont let you..
join groups like the library etc when you are minding which will make them aware of your business..ive had a bit of work this way
Job centre is good to let them know.
Family service/early years keep updating it so you are top of the list
website..hand out info on this
Word of mouth/other childminders are good too.

Just some but may give you an idea.

angeldelight
28-04-2010, 08:28 AM
Hope you get lots of calls soon

Great advice from everyone hope something works

Good luck

Angel xx

Mouse
28-04-2010, 08:45 AM
All you can do is keep doing what you're doing now. Unfortunately it takes some people months to get work :(

I think the best way is to get yourself known to other childminders. Make a good impression on them & hope they pass on any work they can't do.

Also, I've found Netmums good. I put an add on there & got quite a few enquiries. I also replied to an advert a parent had put on saying they wanted a cm and got the work.

Good luck, but don't get disheartened if you have a slow start.

funfunfun
28-04-2010, 08:55 AM
Hey,

I've been registered for 6 months now and only had my 1st LO start last week. My advice would be to try another huge advertising campaign. Where are you advertising? Get yourself noticed out and about, at your childminder drop-ins, toddler groups etc as word of mouth really helps!

Have you thought of asking the parents who have enquired why they chose not to sign up with you? That might help you.

Other than that just need to have lots of patience. Things are definately improving now that there are more jobs out there! I've had more enquiries in the last 2 weeks than I have had in the previous 6 mths!
Good Luck!

its always that the children are too far away from me anyway to even arrange a visit for them . I have just beeen across to surestat in the next village and they have some of my cards and postcards

also dropped one in my lo school this morning as they said they wil put it up

funfunfun
28-04-2010, 08:57 AM
All you can do is keep doing what you're doing now. Unfortunately it takes some people months to get work :(

I think the best way is to get yourself known to other childminders. Make a good impression on them & hope they pass on any work they can't do.

Also, I've found Netmums good. I put an add on there & got quite a few enquiries. I also replied to an advert a parent had put on saying they wanted a cm and got the work.

Good luck, but don't get disheartened if you have a slow start.

i hav advertised on netmums also .....also childcare.co.uk mainly that site had lots of enquirys as i say too far away

i know beccas from "forum " and go to the network and she has passed ppl onto be very kind of her ....in the end as i have said its always turned out they are abit too far for me to travel to take them on .

funfunfun
28-04-2010, 09:00 AM
Hi im another one for the advertising route!
I do the following:

Magnets on car
Stickers in car
Ads at school/newsagents
flyers/newsletters at school/pre school
ads in play centres
baby clinics..doctors although some wont let you..
join groups like the library etc when you are minding which will make them aware of your business..ive had a bit of work this way
Job centre is good to let them know.
Family service/early years keep updating it so you are top of the list
website..hand out info on this
Word of mouth/other childminders are good too.

Just some but may give you an idea.

thankyou

i have car magnet / with detains on

cards with website etc

school is putting one up although i need to go to my local surestart in my village and hand some out maybe next week . they have a group there anyway for cm's maybe i will go there

thanks for you advice everyone , it can be disheartning when you have no one to mind ....suppose its a waiting game

Thanks again

Mouse
28-04-2010, 09:22 AM
I really struggled when I first started as I lived in an area where no one needed a childminder.
I ended up looking further afield for work & started with a mindee who lived quite far away, but mum had to pass through my area on her way to work, which was also quite far away - I was about half way between their home & work.
It wasn't an area I'd have thought to advertise in, so I wonder if you could consider something similar - spread the word a bit further, not just in the area where you'd expect to find work?

funfunfun
28-04-2010, 09:25 AM
thankyou

i see what you mean

my situation at the mo is my own children

3 goes to school 8.45-11.45

7 8.45-3.20

so altready 4 trips a day to that school whick doesnt enable me to get other choldren further afiled with the times as the coincide with my own children:(

Tippy Toes
28-04-2010, 10:20 AM
Just keep advertising! Dont give up! I was worried when I started and it took a few weeks and then all my little mindees seemed to turn up at the same time and I was full!

Good luck :)

funfunfun
28-04-2010, 10:24 AM
Thankyou !!!!

tracey36
28-04-2010, 10:28 AM
i advertise on netmums has brought in a few calls for me you could try there x

funfunfun
28-04-2010, 10:29 AM
i advertise on netmums has brought in a few calls for me you could try there x

have already and nothing so far with netmums .

caz3007
28-04-2010, 11:07 AM
Good luck and just keep putting the word out that you have spaces.

I was lucky when I first registered, cos a childminder I knew from toddlers had an enquiry for two siblings and she couldnt do it, but suggested me as a newly registered CM would be able to and I had them for 3 years then.

If there are CM drop ins locally, try and get in there and get chatting and you never know what may come up