PDA

View Full Version : Visitors book. Who uses one? Do you need one?

Mouse
27-04-2010, 10:09 AM
I was having a conversation recently with another minder. She has a visitors book & says Ofsted will want to see one.

I don't have one & said Ofsted had never said I had to.

I did ask why she has it & how reliable it is as I visit her regularly while she is minding, but she has never signed me in & out!

So, what are your views? Do you have a visitors book, is it a requirement, good practice, or just something else for us to fill in?

Toothfairy
27-04-2010, 10:19 AM
Its not a requirement but it is 'Good Practice'.

HTH :thumbsup:

tracey36
27-04-2010, 10:24 AM
i have a visitors book although not used much it is good practice to have one

youarewhatyoueat
27-04-2010, 11:38 AM
No I don't have one and have no intention of having one, you have to draw the line somewhere and to me it is just daft to sign people in and out of my house. I don't arrange for strangers to come while I am minding, and generally write anything on the calender if i'm expecting anyone, thats good enough for me.

sweets
27-04-2010, 12:10 PM
No I don't have one and have no intention of having one, you have to draw the line somewhere and to me it is just daft to sign people in and out of my house. I don't arrange for strangers to come while I am minding, and generally write anything on the calender if i'm expecting anyone, thats good enough for me.

exactly how i feel. i will never have one and think they are ridiculous!

its just another way that ofsted like to think of us as 'settings' which i dont have, i have a home. lol

Nadine Beazley
27-04-2010, 12:15 PM
A VISITORS BOOK IS NOT A REQUIREMENT FOR THE EYFS!!!!!!!!!!

mamasheshe
27-04-2010, 12:21 PM
i have one for when I'm childminding i think it's nice for the parents and shows theirs not loads of people coming in and out all the time. but it's not a requirement:thumbsup:

babs
27-04-2010, 12:37 PM
i have one. sign people in and out who visit and reason they are here when im minding this includes other childminders and nvq assessor's... etc even the electric man to read the meter signs in and out..... people that dont sign.. anyone who lives in my house and parents, anyone else you dont get over the door step if you dont sign.:D

Mouse
27-04-2010, 12:41 PM
exactly how i feel. i will never have one and think they are ridiculous!

its just another way that ofsted like to think of us as 'settings' which i dont have, i have a home. lol

I have to say, I agree with that.

I did ask my friend what the point of it was & she said it was to show Ofsted that she keeps the children safe, though she couldn't actually say how it kept them safe. I really didn't see the point of it when she only filled it in some of the time, not for every visitor. I said she ought to either do it properly, or not at all!

Nicky
27-04-2010, 02:16 PM
I don't have a visitors book and wont have one, at my inspection last year the inspector said my visitors policy was sufficient to show that I kept the children safe!

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
27-04-2010, 02:41 PM
I have one and to me it was a waste of money when Ofsted came in January I asked her to sign it for me and she just laughed at me and I thought well what a waste of time.

So now I don't bother and half the time I forget anyway.

Sorry that is just my point of view

xx

Blaze
27-04-2010, 03:15 PM
I have one & I use it when I have someone to visit ie the gas man (if not able to arrange this outside of work hours) or someone of interest like the community liason officer - if I were a parent I would like to be able to see who had been & who hadn't...I know I could not write in there but it's a matter of trust & alos it's a way of protecting myself ie by having a visiters book I can show who was here & when - overall I think it's more professional to have one - sorry I know I'm not explaining myself very well, but I'm in a rush!

youarewhatyoueat
27-04-2010, 03:30 PM
So you're saying if I don't have a visitors book I'm not keeping children safe and i'm not professional!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sarah707
27-04-2010, 05:10 PM
It is not a statutory requirement for childminders to have a visitors book however it is considered good practice by some inspectors.

Some childminders feel that having a visitors book makes them feel more professional in their practice.

Others feel it is not an important issue.

:D

Ripeberry
27-04-2010, 05:11 PM
I don't have a 'visitor book' but use my diary and if someone does visit during working hours I ask them to sign in and out. Ofsted were happy with it :thumbsup:

sarah707
27-04-2010, 05:11 PM
So you're saying if I don't have a visitors book I'm not keeping children safe and i'm not professional!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't think having read back through the thread that anyone is saying that.

It depends on how you run your business and how you want to manage your paperwork.

Since the having or not having a book is purely choice then some people will choose to have one and they will say why they justify this decision.

Others will say equally rightly that it is not a statutory requirement.

:D

WibbleWobble
27-04-2010, 05:14 PM
i have a visitors book.....it just proves to me how flippin sad i am with no friends....

i am billy no mates

open for 3 months and 2 visitors....both teachers on their breaks for a butty stop!

mandy xxx

venus89
27-04-2010, 05:31 PM
i have a visitors book.....it just proves to me how flippin sad i am with no friends....

i am billy no mates

open for 3 months and 2 visitors....both teachers on their breaks for a butty stop!

mandy xxx

Mine's the same! My Network Coordinator was here last week and I asked her to sign in. She said 'oh, I was the last one to sign it too....' That was last November :laughing:

WibbleWobble
27-04-2010, 05:33 PM
glad i am not the only other saddo here!:laughing:

mandy xxx

venus89
27-04-2010, 05:35 PM
glad i am not the only other saddo here!:laughing:

mandy xxx

Trust me - I'm not even offended that you just called me a saddo :ohdear:

WibbleWobble
27-04-2010, 05:38 PM
Trust me - I'm not even offended that you just called me a saddo :ohdear:

at least be happy you are not the only one!!!:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

love as always

mandy xxx;)

babs
27-04-2010, 06:58 PM
ill join the saddo club my nvq assessor has signed it 3 times one after the other 3 different months.... so im a saddo and a billy no mates:eek: :eek:

haribo
27-04-2010, 07:11 PM
my mum was the only one who signed it when i tried it :laughing: :laughing:

venus89
27-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Well, maybe the answer is that they have limited use if you're a fully paid up memeber of the saddo group then......

loocyloo
27-04-2010, 08:08 PM
i have one and try to remember to write everyone in ! i then try and remember to get them to sign it! but if i forget, its not the end of the world!

i can have months without any visitors and then several in a week!

tashaleee
27-04-2010, 08:16 PM
I have one... but I dont get everyone to sign it... hmmm why do I have one... no idea :laughing:

Chell
14-06-2010, 08:03 PM
I discussed this with my development worker today. I'm going to record visitors to the house whilst I'm minding but I won't be asking them to sign in/out. It will just be a record written by me. She suggested that a note in a diary of who had visited would be fine.

amanda1309
14-06-2010, 08:27 PM
I don't have one and I'm not going to have one. I really can't justify another tree being felled for it only to be wrote in once every three years when OFSTED come a knocking. :laughing:

Daisy1956
14-06-2010, 08:32 PM
Thank goodness I thought there was something wrong with me I've only had three visitors in the last two months and one of those was my sister needing the loo.

haribo
14-06-2010, 08:34 PM
Thank goodness I thought there was something wrong with me I've only had three visitors in the last two months and one of those was my sister needing the loo.

:laughing: :laughing:

singingcactus
14-06-2010, 08:34 PM
I keep a visitors log - I write in it not the visitor. I keep it so that I have a written record of whoever has visited my home during child care hours. I feel it would enable me, if a situation were to arise and I needed to prove who had been on my premises at any given time, to remember clearly who was there. I have a really sucky memory and the written evidence is the only way I would know - although one A4 page has lasted me since 2004! I have only just filled it up because I don't really allow visitors during day care hours.

rickysmiths
15-06-2010, 12:39 PM
I Have never kept one and have no intention of doing so. The mindees are never left alone with any visitors, not that I have many while I'm working anyway.

Carol M
15-06-2010, 01:03 PM
I have one ! Ex mindees have signed it and given a reason of visit also arrive and depart time. J ,7yrs now and a regular visitor thinks it is cool now as he is a fully fledged Visitor now not a mindee! I often refer to it with my lo's when remembering old friends who come to visit . One big extended family we are! LOL. Think I'm the saddo now:laughing:
I keep notes in diary of other minders and their mindees who visit.
Carol x

The Juggler
15-06-2010, 01:08 PM
I have one... but I dont get everyone to sign it... hmmm why do I have one... no idea :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: that' is funny. I just posted on the other thread. never had one, don't have one now and no plans to have one!