PDA

View Full Version : Where to change nappies?

singlewiththree
27-04-2010, 05:58 AM
After discussions with childminders on how bad for our back this job it, and changing nappies on the floor isn't good. Where do you all change nappies so it's safe?

nannysue
27-04-2010, 06:37 AM
I sometimes put the changing mat on the sofa , which is covered with a throw anyway when the children are here. Then i can either stand or sit depending on how i feel :D Its so much easier

theplayroom
27-04-2010, 06:59 AM
After discussions with childminders on how bad for our back this job it, and changing nappies on the floor isn't good. Where do you all change nappies so it's safe?

Why is the floor not good?:blush:

sarah707
27-04-2010, 06:59 AM
I change nappies on the sofabed.

I use a big changing mat and a sheet underneath with a waterproof underneath.

I have to be careful not to twist though.

Hth :D

sweets
27-04-2010, 07:06 AM
on a recent moving and handling course we were told that changing nappies on the floor is bad for your back and knees. you should do it on a higher surface like a sofa or table.

ive always changed nappies on the floor with no problems, i did try and do it on the sofa but just didnt find it easy so im back to changing them on the floor. i think if you have existing problems then it prob would be too hard but i just cant do it any other way.

i know a few childminders that change children on thier knees! even the big 2 year olds :eek: i tried it once and got in a right mess :) not very hygenic either!

ORKSIE
27-04-2010, 07:09 AM
I have a changing mat on the sofa....I cannot kneel anymore, me poor old knees cant cope:panic:

Chell
27-04-2010, 07:18 AM
on a recent moving and handling course we were told that changing nappies on the floor is bad for your back and knees. you should do it on a higher surface like a sofa or table.

ive always changed nappies on the floor with no problems, i did try and do it on the sofa but just didnt find it easy so im back to changing them on the floor. i think if you have existing problems then it prob would be too hard but i just cant do it any other way.

i know a few childminders that change children on thier knees! even the big 2 year olds :eek: i tried it once and got in a right mess :) not very hygenic either!

I haven't had mindees in nappies yet but I change my own DD on my knee. I presumed OFSTED wouldn't like this but it is the easiest way.

suzyblue
27-04-2010, 08:22 AM
I do have a bad back but I change the children on the floor as I find lifting them up onto a surface more back breaking. I have some chunky 2 year olds!

little_gems
27-04-2010, 09:30 AM
i found that changing on the fllor was killing my back so i brought a changing table!!!
It's quite good as all the children have thier own little box with thier nappies, wipes and creams in it also has space for gloves and anti-bac spray.

I've also put pictures all around to keep the kids still while changing.

tracey36
27-04-2010, 09:43 AM
i use either the floor of if back if feeling bit dodgy put the changing mat on the sofa

jelly15
27-04-2010, 09:47 AM
I used to change my own on my knees but didn't think CSSIW would like it so I change them on a mat on the bath room floor.

Twinklestars
27-04-2010, 10:12 AM
when i had my pre reg visit the inspector looked in our downstairs toilet and said there's plenty of room to change nappies in there, she must have meant on the floor though cos there's no high surfaces in there. I change nappies in the living room on the floor though but i don't have back problems

Ripeberry
27-04-2010, 12:14 PM
I would rather change on the floor as if I go on a sofa I tend to twist which always does my back in :(

venus89
27-04-2010, 12:18 PM
On the floor. When my backs playing up - I get a partially slipped disc sometimes - I can't lift a plate let alone a child so there's no way I could get them up high.

babs
27-04-2010, 12:53 PM
i do On the floor i sit though not knee baby between my legs...My great neices i do on extra large stool in living room or on my knee ( but not if nappy is a dirty smelly one) then they go on floor on changing mat, wipes,cream, nappys and nappy bags in cupboard n living room anyway..

Alibali
27-04-2010, 05:21 PM
I have a folding changing table - the best childminding purchase I have ever made

MarpleJollytots
27-04-2010, 05:28 PM
We have got a changing stand.

Mookins
27-04-2010, 05:30 PM
I have a folding changing table - the best childminding purchase I have ever made

never used a changing table before and just been looking at them...all too bulky for my house, where did you purchase a folding one from?

x x x

Alibali
27-04-2010, 05:32 PM
never used a changing table before and just been looking at them...all too bulky for my house, where did you purchase a folding one from?

x x x

Mine is an old one I got second hand from e-bay, but Ikea do one too. I'll see if I can find a link. It's great as it folds really thin and is stored behind a door, takes no space at all.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50144765

patevans
27-04-2010, 05:35 PM
Mine is an old one I got second hand from e-bay, but Ikea do one too. I'll see if I can find a link. It's great as it folds really thin and is stored behind a door, takes no space at all.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50144765

oh I like that, I do them on the floor but my assistant (my mummy) has bad knees so that would be ideal for her :clapping:

Alibali
27-04-2010, 05:37 PM
oh I like that, I do them on the floor but my assistant (my mummy) has bad knees so that would be ideal for her :clapping:

Go for it! Honestly the best thing I've bought - I love it. Years of nursing have ruined my back, so this is perfect.

patevans
27-04-2010, 05:41 PM
Go for it! Honestly the best thing I've bought - I love it. Years of nursing have ruined my back, so this is perfect.

will have to wait until after my hols, but definately going to get one :thumbsup:

Mookins
27-04-2010, 05:45 PM
thanks for the link thats fab...hubby cant say no to that...well he can but l tell him to poke it anyway lol

x x x

Cammie Doodle
27-04-2010, 05:50 PM
I have a changing table that fits over my travel cot. I really should use it :blush: as Dr says we (as childminders) are doing lots of damage to poor knees/ backs over the years changing babies on the floor, ideally we should have the children at waist height. I love the fold up wall mounted one from Ikea, but only place it will fit is in Kitchen and I would presume that will be a no no in the eyes of Ofsted . I must get travel cot/ changing table out

Jelly Baby
27-04-2010, 06:01 PM
well not had any in nappies for a long while until this week so did what i usually do and changed them in the downstairs loo on the floor on mat to which they screamed the house down!! tried again today in the lounge and fine..not a tear so will do in here instead..i kneel on the rug but their mat is on the laminate so easy to mop after use.