PDA

View Full Version : Tandem Bathing

Bernie
26-04-2010, 08:35 PM
Does anyone bath mindees together? I needed to do this the other day after a muddy time in the paddling pool/goo.

Would you put them in a bath together? I have mixed genders, 1yr, 2yrs & 4yrs. The kids would love it but not sure if it is right or not.

What would/do you do?

babs
26-04-2010, 08:40 PM
hose them down:laughing: :laughing: :D :D

sorry i have no idea but had to say hose them down ...hope someone comes along with more sense than me...:eek:

miss mopple
26-04-2010, 08:41 PM
I wouldn't bath mindees at all, sorry. If you do you should have signed permission to protect yourself against any allegations

beccas
26-04-2010, 08:45 PM
dont bath them its a safeguarding issue... just clean up with wipes of flannel

babs
26-04-2010, 08:47 PM
dont bath them its a safeguarding issue... just clean up with wipes of flannel

just a throught what about changing them into a swimsuit so they can use a paddling pool, never crossed my mind till you said safeguarding....

sarah707
26-04-2010, 08:49 PM
I would only do it in an emergency like if the child had a very messy nappy that wasn't wipe-able or if he was sick or if NHS direct suggested a cool bath if there was a high temp while waiting for parents to arrive.

If children like being mud scruffs I'd get them a coverall jacket each.

Hth :D

Rubybubbles
26-04-2010, 08:58 PM
I showered baby mindie last week, with his nappy on and t-shirt lol, kinda had him hoovering over the bath and sprayed him down :) he didn't like it, but he was covered in mud from the 'soil tray' we had out and would not keep still to let me clean him!

Otherwise no:)

sweets
26-04-2010, 09:01 PM
everyones right in saying that we shouldnt bath them due to safeguarding. i wouldnt do it apart from in an emergency like sarah suggets.

but i find it very sad that something so innocent like giving a mucky child a bath is seen in this way. in a few years time will we be able to change nappies? or will we have to call parents to do it. :(

moljak
26-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Was told on my recent ICP to never bath the mindees.
such a shame.I used to stick my daughter and her best friend in the bath some afternoons for a good play session.I did have mums permission.This was prior to childminding.They loved playing with all the empty bottles, jugs, pans ect.

mandy moo
27-04-2010, 08:47 AM
everyones right in saying that we shouldnt bath them due to safeguarding. i wouldnt do it apart from in an emergency like sarah suggets.

but i find it very sad that something so innocent like giving a mucky child a bath is seen in this way. in a few years time will we be able to change nappies? or will we have to call parents to do it. :(

Can just imagine the response we'd get from parents, if we ever have to tell them they have to leave work 2-4, however many times a day to change their child nappy, because we're not allowed to..:eek:

mama2three
27-04-2010, 08:49 AM
I put littlest mindee and ds in the bath together ( in swim pants for mindee and pants for ds) to play in the water , pouring etc. it was winter and we had lots of fun , no different to the paddling pool in the summer. Mum knew and was happy. I can see what you are saying about safeguarding and would be mindful but if they are 'covered' it is something i would possibly do again.

Alibali
27-04-2010, 05:26 PM
I just had a thought, if we're not allowed to bathe mindees, what about getting them changed when we go swimming? Is this not the same? In answer to OP, no I wouldn't bathe them together to respect their privacy.

louised
27-04-2010, 05:31 PM
I would never bath a mindee, if they were really messy i would just use wipes or a flannel to clean them up

sonia ann
27-04-2010, 05:43 PM
years ago I occasionally put 4yr and 1yr old mindees(siblings) in the bath with my 3yr old son after playing in the garden, mum has got the photos to prove it:eek: and shock , horror they used to play naked in the garden and paddling pool:eek: .....I think it is so sad that because of sick mindless individuals at large in the world today this innocence has been lost and we have to worry about whether we can bath a child or not:(

venus89
27-04-2010, 06:08 PM
It's a good point, though - how is putting them in the bath to play together in swimming stuff actually any different to playing together in swimming kit in a paddling pool?

mum2two
27-04-2010, 06:24 PM
I would just change clothes & wipe them down as best I could.

I have bathed 2 mindees before, both after they had been sick (at different times...) Both got it everywhere, in hair etc & it stunk!! I called parents & asked though to cover myself, and so glad they said yes, as I'm not sure I'd have been able to have them near me... Stale sick just reeks, and one parent didn't arrive for 3 hours.... :rolleyes:

xx

loocyloo
27-04-2010, 08:05 PM
i have permission for one of my older mindees to have a bath (but on his own ! i don't even go in the room! ) after football! sometimes he can look as if he has been dipped in mud and NOTHING cleans as well as a bath!

i've never bathed a mindee, but when DS was little, i used to have 8/9yr old mindee till 7ish once or twice a week and she used to love bathing DS !!!

jo f
27-04-2010, 08:21 PM
I have bathed 2 children before only once and they were both in their swimming costumes so I suppose it was a bit like being in a paddling pool!

peanuts
28-04-2010, 06:07 AM
i wouldnt bath the children, just wipe them down, you are leaving yourself wide open to allegations from parents.

huggableshelly
28-04-2010, 06:37 AM
I wouldnt do it as others have said, protect yourself and the children from all allegations that could be made against you.

I put out buckets of water with sponges if we are doing real messy play so they can then sponge themselves down afterwards with fresh clothes to change into with help obviously.

Also if your bathroom is not registered then you are breaking your cover so any accidents will be void. My bathrooms are not registered as I have a downstairs loo so in my case I can never shower or bath a child unless advised medically then I would break the registration in order to do as advised with a full written reoprt adding names and dates of who and when advised me.

Heaven Scent
28-04-2010, 07:37 AM
I provided respite care for a child who was on the at risk register some of it was overnight and I used to bath her and Social Services were more than happy with that they knw everything I did with that child I would tell them over the phone and then would send a written report - so if it fine for such a child why is it not fine for us to bath a child from a stable, happy home if necessary - not sure about bathing children from different families naked or having them running around the gaden naked as you don't know who could be looking out their windows at them when in the garden and when no witnesses around it can leave you wide open to all sorts of allegations and complaints - I'd keep their pants/nappies on too - I think its sad that we have to think this way though :panic: :panic:

Bananabrain
28-04-2010, 10:19 AM
I wouldn't bath mindees at all. I also don't have paddling pools because I just think it's safer not too.
BUT.................................I've just read this thread and a thought occured to me. If a parent is leaving their child in your care for 10 hours a day, anything could happen during that time couldn't it? If you think about this logically, you are no more leaving yourself open to allegations by bathing/washing the children than if you are changing nappies are you?
I've just become sooo paranoid doing this job and tie myself up in knots everyday.
I was at the children's centre yesterday and the lady who runs it has just re vamped the garden. It' wonderful, brilliant for the children with loads of great resources. She's made a lovely sensory garden but was stressing that she hadn't put non slip stuff on the little bridge.
I pointed out that anything could happen at any time, the children could put stones in their mouths,they could fall down the hill. You could go on for ever.
I have decided that I'm going to try not to stress about the whole safeguarding thing soooooo much as it's driving me barmy.
If we carry on like this,there will come a time when we are calling the parents to clean/change their children. It has to stop somewhere.

amandavin
28-04-2010, 01:14 PM
I have signed permission from all the parents to bath children in the event of bad nappies or muddy play. I have bathed them together with no clothes on, twice, I think. OFSTED was happy with the signed permission.

caz3007
28-04-2010, 04:56 PM
I have signed permission from all the parents to bath children in the event of bad nappies or muddy play. I have bathed them together with no clothes on, twice, I think. OFSTED was happy with the signed permission.

I also have it in my permissions, I had to do one LO a long time ago as he had a rather bad nappy and it was everywhere. his mum was fine with it. If it had been my child I would have been happy that he was clean and comfy.

I just feel things have got totally out of hand, although do understand that we have to protect ourselves. Its just a shame that society as a whole have made us be so wary of doing something so normal such as bathing a messy child

margimum
28-04-2010, 07:11 PM
When 'THEY' say I have to wear a mask over my eyes to change a nappy then I am definitely giving up!!
it is so sad that we have to 'protect' ourselves from allegations..... what a world we have made.....:(

sarak31
28-04-2010, 08:43 PM
Am worried by this thread as I do bath a 12 month old mindee (on request of parents) I have as I have him for very long hours and get him ready for bed for mum. As someone said above, what difference is it to changing nappies - I have him for 12 hours a day. What do people who provide overnight care do, do they not bath children who have been wearing nappies all day before they put them to bed?

Does anyone know if Ofsted issue guidelines that we shouldn't bath children?

Bernie
28-04-2010, 08:47 PM
Thank you all for all your replies on this subject. I too am very sad that the world has got to this state where a carer has to choose wipes over a good old bath to protect yourself and the child. But hey ho!

I have been doing a little bit of 'asking' regarding whether you can bath or not bath.

I think bathing mindees 'together' is out of the question, for all the right reasons you all have suggested above.

I also agree that if it is not an emergency you should just wipe up as best you can. But on those days when the mud has got the better of them, or the paint pot found its way over their head or their poo decided to venture all the way up their back, this is what Ofsted have said....

I am replying to your email about whether you can bath minded children.

There is nothing in the EYFS to prevent you from bathing children, in
the same way that you would provide intimate and personal care for any
child in your care, if required.
You need to conduct a risk assessment, ensure parents are aware and are
happy for you to bathe their child and under what circumstances you
would do this. Written parental permission would cover this.

I hope this answers your query. Please do not hesitate to contact the
help desk again if you require any further information.

Maureen

Maureen Sinclair
Quality Assurance Manager
Quality Assurance National Team
On behalf of Ann Tallboys HMI
Divisional Manager

sarak31
28-04-2010, 08:51 PM
Thank you!

helenlc
28-04-2010, 09:02 PM
When I had my pre-reg visit, I asked to have my upstairs bathroom registered. One to allow older mindees who were upstairs to use the toilet in there but also to wash down mindees if they had been terribly sick/had diarrhoea everywhere etc. My inspector said that should be ok but to phone parents first to check.

I dont think bathing them poses any more risk of safeguarding issues than nappy changing etc.