PDA

View Full Version : do i need a sef??

mrs tumble
26-04-2010, 06:15 PM
I got my very first inspection call from ofsted today, the thing i was wondering was do I need to fill in a sef? ive only been working two months

26-04-2010, 06:24 PM
Ofsted came and inspected me earlier than expected as I had asked for a variation. I hadn't been working long either and hadn't even had a chance to look at the SEF. I began work on it and did as much as I could before my Ofsted visit and prob did about 1/3 of it. My Ofsted inspector was pleased that I had at least begun it so that would be my advice to you :)

mrs tumble
26-04-2010, 06:27 PM
thank you, i just want it over with now!!

Pipsqueak
26-04-2010, 06:29 PM
The SEF is not mandatory but you do need to show that you are self-reflecting.

Look on the NCMA website for their self reflection tool that you can download. Its a lot easier to get your head round!

Celyn
14-06-2010, 05:19 PM
I haven't done a SEF and won't do it in its current format. I haven't got time. I have a family and a life. When I went on the training, it seemed far more about what to put in the SEF to impress OFSTED rather than how to actually self assess.

What I did do was to write a brief report, covering each of the 5 outcomes, saying what I currently did and what I wanted to do in the future. The NCMA site has a free download that I used to help me, but I certainly didn't go into even as much detail as they do.

The inspector was happy with this last week. She said that they're looking for evidence that you can assess your own practice, not necessarily a perfectly completed SEF.

v 1461
16-06-2010, 07:30 PM
The funny thing is that we don't HAVE to do a SEF, but if we don't do it it's a bad point........
v

venus89
17-06-2010, 01:34 PM
The SEF is now mandatory for Network Childminders in my area..... I think thought hat you stand a chance of having a shorter inspection if you do it and getting a higher grade as the inspector will know a lot about you before they come to see you.

EvieT
22-07-2010, 05:36 PM
Just thought I would share...

I am a Network Accredited childminder.

I have not even started to fill in an SEF, but at my inspection recently - I was able to show that I am constantly evaluating my setting and making improvements or plans for improvements wherever necessary or desirable.

I was graded 'OUTSTANDING' :)

She said that I could have all the documentation required of me and more, but it would be worthless if I couldnt show I was putting it into practice.