PDA

View Full Version : No idea what to charge as a retainer..help

mandy moo
26-04-2010, 03:43 PM
A bit of background, a parent has been in touch with me, she needs someone to pick her child up after school most days,
the school is a couple of miles from me, so living in a smallish village location and the school in the middle of nowhere almost, no streetlighting, pavments, along a country lane, I will need to take the car. she will very occasional need me to take him to school in the morning, thats ok, Ill charge my hourly rate (£4) for that, or prehaps a little more to cover diesel.

But, she is a teacher, and she has asked me what I charge as a retainer during school holidays, mainly the august one I think, to keep a place for the child, should she need to go in to work,
she says it'll only be a day or two at the begining and the end of the holidays.
Could any of you tell me what you charge, retainer wise or give me an idea as to what to charge her, I have no idea what to charge/do :o
Any answers appreciated:D

sandy64
26-04-2010, 03:49 PM
hi i charge half fee in all hols and full when and if they need me.how old is lo ?as if there over 8 i would take a deposit for hols as there not takin a place up

Pipsqueak
26-04-2010, 04:28 PM
a retainer fee would normally be half of what is paid normally.

huggableshelly
26-04-2010, 04:31 PM
I just charge for days needed on the understanding that I may not always beable to offer the space but if she is willing to pay half fee then go for it.

little_gems
26-04-2010, 07:15 PM
hi i charge half fees for school holidays, full fees if they want to come for the day and full fees if they go on holiday. No fees if i go on holiday.
HTH

mandy moo
27-04-2010, 06:42 AM
Hi thanx for your replies,
LO is is I belive is 5 in September.
Mum (shes a teacher) will need, she says only a couple of days (possibly more) at the beggining and a couple at the end, for planning and stuff i guess,
But as its taking up a potential full time space, for the entire holidays, I could possibly be losing a full time fee IYSWIM, so
I was thinking of charging her £25 per week so a total of £150,
plus my hourly rate on top, for the days she does actually use?
Does that sound ok, or too much?
thanx again

miffy
27-04-2010, 06:52 AM
How much is £25 in relation to what she'd normally pay you for after school care? If it's half or less then I think it's fine.

A retainer should only be charged if the space is available for use so if you are having any time off you shouldn't charge.

Miffy xx

mandy moo
27-04-2010, 07:01 AM
She and the LO have only been to visit so far so no contract signed or any thing yet,
she sent me an email re retainer fees etc over the w/e
If they do take me as their childminder, it will be after school most days, (dad works from home, but does go away on business now and then) if not every day, and quite possibly taking to school some mornings,
:)
He goes to a private school, so may need to add a week or so on to that, taking into consideration my hols too of course, I had forgotton that:blush: