PDA

View Full Version : Worried

Mrs_F
26-04-2010, 11:20 AM
My daughter is 26months old, and suffers febrile convulsions, she hasn't had one since July 2009 and has had tests and they put it down to temperature. Will my daughter haviung seizures affect my ability to become a childminder?

huggableshelly
26-04-2010, 11:24 AM
no it wont have any effect at all as you are aware of your childs condition and know how to handle it you will also beable to tell the pre-reg inspector your action plan if she is to have any form of seizure which is to remain with all children within your sight or hearing whilst you cool her down and you will ahve your mobile or house phone in your pocket at all times so you can call 999 without having to leave your daughter and the mindees. you will constantly talk to her and your mindees reassuring the mindees that all is ok and she is just sleepy and you will remain calm.

ofcourse situations are all different but you will manage it, you will find a way to cope and you can prove to ofsted that you know how to handle the situation.

monkey62
26-04-2010, 12:37 PM
My oldest son used to have fevrile convulsions when he was little, now he is nearly 6 and he didn't had one since he was 3 and half. I'm remeber it is quiet scarry.......
Once your daughter will grow she will stop to have this fevrile convulsion.
About Ofsted...not sure, but what you have to rember is your daughter has a fevrile convulsions when she has a very , very high temperature....and anyway I don't think you willing to work when your child is really unwell..so I don't think will be a question about other children around

AliceK
26-04-2010, 01:18 PM
No I don't think it will. An experienced childminder on my first aid course had a DS who had these. Obviously it hasn't stopped her.
Good luck with everything

xxxxx

essexgirl1967
26-04-2010, 01:50 PM
I dont know whether this is any help at all, but my 2 youngest DS's have sudden horrendous continual vomiting as soon as their temperature goes high, its not 'normal' and if it happens it is very hard to get temp down as they are too ill to give medicine to. I've been childminding a long time, since before they were born but mentioned it at last Ofsted inspections. I said that I ALWAYS have to carry calpol sachets etc with me in case they start to look a bit hot and I also have paracetamol suppositries from dr to give if they are too sick to take oral medicine. Often temp is caused by ear problems which come on very suddenly. Ofsted inpector was very impressed that I'd planned on what to do if/when things like this happened. HTH x

Mrs_F
26-04-2010, 01:58 PM
Thanks guys, I feel relieved now :)

jaja
26-04-2010, 03:54 PM
My dd had these from being a baby and whilst i minded and i never had an issue, the parents were understanding and i nealry always knew when she was heading for one, although once we didnt know aything and that time she went complety blue and floppy and she was out of it for a while even the 999 couldnt wake her up, but that time she had already been in and had been discharged when she went into a major long one and rushed in...

it shouldnt matter to your minding either way, abigail grew out of them when she hit 20 months and then didnt have any more, just like i did when i was her age... hope your dd is ok and grews out of them soon xxxx