PDA

View Full Version : I still cant Plan!!

patevans
25-04-2010, 12:41 PM
I still cant work out how to do planning, I really dont know how to sort this problem out....:angry:

I really cant see a way forward with this :panic: Does anyone else have trouble or is it just stupid old me?

CAZMCA
25-04-2010, 12:45 PM
hugs huni, i struggle with planning too

cabby
25-04-2010, 12:53 PM
no not just you:panic: ive not got any planning down on paper yet, just cant get my head around it:blush: :blush:

nell57
25-04-2010, 12:55 PM
Same here. I sometimes think I have it sorted in my head, then when it comes to writing it down it just comes out a jumbled mess and I get even more confused:rolleyes: :(

Mrs Argyle
25-04-2010, 12:59 PM
All I do is write down what the children are interested in on a sheet of paper under each day along with if we plan to go toddlers or park then think about what you can 'play' including their interests, obs on that, next steps is on plan for following week, if they still are interested. I don't know if I am doing it right but it makes sense to me. Ofsted are coming Tuesday to talk to me about a variation I requested, I 'm going to show her and ask if it's ok .

WibbleWobble
25-04-2010, 01:00 PM
i struggle too..i have done lots of plans for 2x1yr olds and a 2 and a half year old....

and up to now they have either been ill or the weather has been so lovely all they want to do is toddle outside with toys!

So i plan next steps. I take an observation and use that to do next steps....both my little LOs have developed an obsession with balls and boxes. they both will spend all day just taking them out and putting them back in. I have identified a developing schema so i have planned to make available other sizes of boxes. Boxes with lids. Bags- some with handles others with elastic closures etc. I have a pasta a rice tray so i get them up to that and give them little pots to fill up too.

I have a weekly plan but it is my routine for all of them . I have activity 1, 2, etc for sessions but these are not filled in until i have my next steps.

eg i may get the paints ou

I know LO#1 is 2.5 so she is into painting pictures and printing
I will put on that activity sheet what she did and link it to the EYFS

LO #2 is 11 months and loves bashing in the paint. i might try him with a big brush- link to EYFS
LO#3 hates getting his hands messy with paint so i might put him some soap suds on a tray and have a cloth ready and i will take a pic of him doing this to show mummy.- link to eyfs

i think i am rambling and maybe i have the wrong end of the stick as i only started minding in february

mandy xxxxx

monkey62
25-04-2010, 03:17 PM
You are not alone. I know this will not make you feel any better. I'm sure you are very good in different areas and you are not stupid just because you can't plan.
If you like you can pm and may be able to help with some ideas.

karen m
25-04-2010, 04:01 PM
no your not stupid or alone i can never get it to read right when i write things down

sonia ann
25-04-2010, 05:28 PM
after nearly 14yrs I still haven't got the hang of planning....I do it all in my head and can give reasons for why I am doing various activities for different children etc but it is the actual writing it down that gets me.......beginning to think I may not bother....I do obs and next steps and follow up with obs on those next steps and write obs on every "planned in my head " activity that I do...I have loads of evidence to show what I am doing and know I cover all areas of learning.....I just find sitting down and writing planning for each child for the next week difficult so keep putting it off:(
gosh what a ramble.....hopefully some of you feel like me:o

PixiePetal
25-04-2010, 05:39 PM
after nearly 14yrs I still haven't got the hang of planning....I do it all in my head and can give reasons for why I am doing various activities for different children etc but it is the actual writing it down that gets me.......beginning to think I may not bother....I do obs and next steps and follow up with obs on those next steps and write obs on every "planned in my head " activity that I do...I have loads of evidence to show what I am doing and know I cover all areas of learning.....I just find sitting down and writing planning for each child for the next week difficult so keep putting it off:(
gosh what a ramble.....hopefully some of you feel like me:o

Thats just how I feel :(

15 years + minding, 12 years as a nanny and well adjusted, happy, healthy children (and all at a good level when they start school) been through my hands - lots still in contact. Must be doing something right! :rolleyes:

Just writing for writings sake, but I am doing my best :D

mum26
25-04-2010, 05:56 PM
I have trouble too - in fact it was what I was doing - but got distracted and came on here!

sonia ann
25-04-2010, 06:45 PM
Thats just how I feel :(

15 years + minding, 12 years as a nanny and well adjusted, happy, healthy children (and all at a good level when they start school) been through my hands - lots still in contact. Must be doing something right! :rolleyes:

Just writing for writings sake, but I am doing my best :D

exactly...I have been working in childcare in one form or another since 1975 and when not working have brought up 4 lovely bright well adjusted children....I am not going to fret over my lack of written plans:D ....well not much anyway:o

julie w
25-04-2010, 06:56 PM
I have trouble too - in fact it was what I was doing - but got distracted and came on here!

same here lol.

hop04
25-04-2010, 06:57 PM
Adding me to the list of struggling too!!! I just struggle when people have a long term plan for the year?! Is that just a monthly view with dates in for festivals etc or actual planned dates?
At the mo ive just gor a sheet i put up on a monday morning with the days on it and what ive planned such as water play monday, painting tues etc... i dont plan these in great detail like ive seen others do such what equioment i need, safety to consider etc as all this is in my continious provision and i feel is writting for writting sake. Not sure if wrong or right thou!!:o

sarah707
25-04-2010, 06:58 PM
Individual planning

Choose a child...

What is s/he interested in at the moment?

What might s/he like to do next to follow those interests?

So... John is really into the blocks and is building little bridges and walls.

Would he enjoy making a wall for Humpty do you think? Then singing the song? Then doing more Humpty activities?

That's your planning!

Group planning

Think about what the group of children are enjoying just now.

Mine are watching flowers grow on the school run and our walks into town.

Next week is Arbor Day which is a tree celebration day.

To extend their interests in flowers growing we will look at buds on trees and do lots of things exploring trees...

PSED - we all grow, trees grow, seeds grow and we grow... think about us as babies, find new growth;

Cll - read 'The tiny seed' by Eric Carle, look at baby books and talk about how we have grown and changed;

Keep it simple, don't overcomplicate.

Does that help? :D

Ben10mad
25-04-2010, 07:16 PM
Sarah YOU ARE BRILL :clapping:

monkey62
25-04-2010, 07:18 PM
Individual planning

Choose a child...

What is s/he interested in at the moment?

What might s/he like to do next to follow those interests?

So... John is really into the blocks and is building little bridges and walls.

Would he enjoy making a wall for Humpty do you think? Then singing the song? Then doing more Humpty activities?

That's your planning!

Group planning

Think about what the group of children are enjoying just now.

Mine are watching flowers grow on the school run and our walks into town.

Next week is Arbor Day which is a tree celebration day.

To extend their interests in flowers growing we will look at buds on trees and do lots of things exploring trees...

PSED - we all grow, trees grow, seeds grow and we grow... think about us as babies, find new growth;

Cll - read 'The tiny seed' by Eric Carle, look at baby books and talk about how we have grown and changed;

Keep it simple, don't overcomplicate.

Does that help? :D

More then you can imagine.....Thank you

catswhiskers
02-05-2010, 07:54 PM
I usually do one or two "proper" observations a month. I do the observation with a photo usually, then the assessment i.e. what they're actually doing, can do and the follow up with planning.

For instance, I have an 18 month old who has suddenly shown an interest in trying to make marks using crayons, chalks. I just put that "I plan to help x extend this interest by providing materials such as crayons, the chalk board, drawing on the patio with chalk and using the Thomas the Tank Engine magic writing board.

For a 3 and a half year old who helped plant some seedlings at a childrens centre the other day I have put for the planning that I plan to plant some sunflowers and my yearly splurge of planting some geraniums, busy lizzies etc. in pots in the garden! I then usually show some photos of the kids watering the plants as they start to break through.

Mrs Book
05-05-2010, 06:56 AM
Yep another one here has trouble planinng.

I have one little one who started yesterday and is still very much at the clingy wingy stage, so really not sure as to what he is into.

BlondeMoment
08-05-2010, 08:48 AM
exactly...I have been working in childcare in one form or another since 1975 and when not working have brought up 4 lovely bright well adjusted children....I am not going to fret over my lack of written plans:D ....well not much anyway:o

Have Ofsted ever marked you down or said anything becasue of lack of planning?

sonia ann
08-05-2010, 09:11 AM
Have Ofsted ever marked you down or said anything becasue of lack of planning?

I have always been given good at my inspections and the last one was under EYFS so I am happy with that:)

ogbene
13-05-2010, 01:57 PM
i'm also struggling with planning -for a 4years old help!!!

signx30
14-05-2010, 01:00 PM
You are sooo not alone!!!

I think I over complicate things and don't value what I am doing as being important.

I have 5 part timers over the week, I could do with help planning so it doesn't take up too much time!!!! Can anyone help?

BlondeMoment
14-05-2010, 05:21 PM
OK, I've been looking at EYSF planning on this website www.bromleycma.org.uk. It gives examples! Take a look and see if it helps x
I'm still struggling as I only got 1 year olds and a 2 year old that only comes once in a blue moon LOL. Oh help. But this may help some of you x

Shirlwith3
16-05-2010, 09:47 AM
I worked in 2 preschools & managed to plan for 3-4yrs olds but at the moemnt i amreally strugglering too as I mind a 7month, 9month ( have permissin to have 2 under 1yrs) & a 2yr old 2 yr old is not the problems but am struggglering with the 2 babies oh they are all full time too

BlondeMoment
16-05-2010, 10:37 AM
I don't think you can plan too far in advance for babies as they are often cranky, need more sleep than usual etc. With loads of advice from peeps on here I've now put together a very loose plan around a theme that we can do as and when.
My theme is Springtime and I've basically said that for PSED we'll use a toy lamb to explore and use as an empathy prop etc.
For KUW we'll look at flowers in the garden and let them smell them etc
For CD I'll let them explore springtime colours in gloop and playdough etc Also use songs to sing with them like 5 Little ducks etc
It's a medium term plan. I've come to realise that long term planning is just pointless at this stage. If plans are as loose as this then we can be spontaneous as to as and when we do these things and we can build on them depending on what the children show interest in

Dreean
22-07-2010, 09:16 PM
Hi

I've been reading all the threads to get my head around planning! hehe

Am I right in thinking that in a nutshell:

Individual children: Observe, link to EYFS, list next steps.

Group Planning: use interests or theme for ideas and ensuring coverage of EYFS (add in some of the next steps for individuals)

Have some kind of learning journey scrap book that you can keep observations, photos and work in.

Have some kind of diary to send home with how they've been. (food, sleep nappies, etc)

Continuous curriculum (linked to EYFS) covers daily/routine stuff (so you don't have to repeat it)

Does that make sense?
Have I covered everything?
Will that be okay for Ofsted?

Thanks in advance for your comments!!:D

EvieT
22-07-2010, 09:41 PM
Hi

I've been reading all the threads to get my head around planning! hehe

Am I right in thinking that in a nutshell:

Individual children: Observe, link to EYFS, list next steps.

Group Planning: use interests or theme for ideas and ensuring coverage of EYFS (add in some of the next steps for individuals)

Have some kind of learning journey scrap book that you can keep observations, photos and work in.

Have some kind of diary to send home with how they've been. (food, sleep nappies, etc)

Continuous curriculum (linked to EYFS) covers daily/routine stuff (so you don't have to repeat it)

Does that make sense?
Have I covered everything?
Will that be okay for Ofsted?

Thanks in advance for your comments!!:D

Also....
You can subscribe to nursery education plus magazine and they will do monthy planning for you, with posters, and printable crafts and activities that will tie in with that theme (many nurseries use this one, too)
Then you can just tailor your activities according to each childs likes, abilities etc and it will help you a lot with wording, observation tips etc

EvieT
22-07-2010, 09:42 PM
oops....link for Nursery Ed plus is.....

http://education.scholastic.co.uk/nursery_education

sonia ann
23-07-2010, 07:07 AM
brilliant ....have just subscribed:clapping:

Ripeberry
23-07-2010, 08:05 AM
What gets me about planning is what if the child is still only interested in the same things they were 6 months ago? Can we repeat ourselves in our planning?
I'm always looking for new experiences and activities for the children, but one is very into water play and once you've covered all the bases (puddle play, bubbles in water, coloured water, water flowing ect..), then what else can you do?

Can we repeat ourselves??

PixiePetal
23-07-2010, 08:23 AM
What gets me about planning is what if the child is still only interested in the same things they were 6 months ago? Can we repeat ourselves in our planning?
I'm always looking for new experiences and activities for the children, but one is very into water play and once you've covered all the bases (puddle play, bubbles in water, coloured water, water flowing ect..), then what else can you do?

I do to see if they do things differently :)

Rubybubbles
23-07-2010, 08:37 AM
I do to see if they do things differently :)

excatly, how they play does change within a very short space of time, so your next steps change slighty to further their learning:thumbsup:

Again everyone does planning different and I think it can through you:)

piglet1973
29-07-2010, 07:31 PM
i hate planning ...used to do lots in nurseries but need doesnt seem so big as a minder ....i change mine all the time...never happy with it ...and struggling with foundation degree on top of horrid minding paperwork...ewwww

zillervalley
29-07-2010, 07:56 PM
hi this is what i did for my mindee back in may I do hope this helps

EvieT
03-08-2010, 03:54 PM

Jelly baff or goo is good too - you can also talk about consistency, ask questions like: how many cups of 'whatever' will fit in the jug/bucket? which container is biggest/smallest? give them all different things ie spoons, sieve, cup, jug, bucket and have a race to see who can fill up their bowl the fastest.
Give them paint brushes to water paint the path/fence. Write their names and watch as it dries. Water the flowers and talk about why plants animals and people need water. Put food colouring in jars and put flowers in them. Then watch over the next few days as the flowers change colour. White flowers work best.
:)

Fabby
03-08-2010, 05:20 PM

So can we do individual planning to cover the month and not the week? Thats great... for some reason i thought you had to do indvidual planning week by week :blush:

sarah707
03-08-2010, 05:34 PM
So can we do individual planning to cover the month and not the week? Thats great... for some reason i thought you had to do indvidual planning week by week :blush:

Individual planning changes because children change!

You might plan to do xx and then notice the child is taking an interest in something completely different!

Or you plan something and parents say he's been to the zoo and is into animals just now.

So your individual planning needs to be really flexible... it is best done weekly for this reason :D

karen m
03-08-2010, 07:01 PM
I am so rubbish at planning,

EvieT
03-08-2010, 08:06 PM

I have a wipeclean Activity chart with a monthly theme, and a rough guide to what activities we will do each week,and then selct what resources are available each week to tie in with the theme.
I keep a diary for each child, which I use to note their interests, abilities, milestones etc and make a note of what we will do next - then I can make sure the right resources etc are available for the next steps.

AnnieM
03-08-2010, 10:19 PM
Ooh, just had to go peek at the Nursery Education Plus mag and subscribed. :rolleyes: I really like it and occasionally buy it when I see it in smiths, so it will be nice to get it delivered. :thumbsup: My planning is still pants!! Hopefully this will help a bit. :D

HELEN10
04-08-2010, 08:55 AM

That's really good informative and nice and simple! :) Thanks