PDA

View Full Version : do you network?

newandlearning
25-04-2010, 08:13 AM
hi everyone...

I'm just wondering how everyone else gets to know other cm's etc.?

I have a small group of cm's that I get on with really well .. but I also
realise the cm's who go to the childminding groups all seem to refer
business to each other and am wondering ..

how do you network? and does this help you get business to? xx:)

beccas
25-04-2010, 08:19 AM
i run my local network and we all pass work on to each other but we also ask each other if we know any one who doesnt attend the network who has vacancies if none of us can do it. We all help each other out.

funfunfun
25-04-2010, 08:21 AM
hi everyone...

I'm just wondering how everyone else gets to know other cm's etc.?

I have a small group of cm's that I get on with really well .. but I also
realise the cm's who go to the childminding groups all seem to refer
business to each other and am wondering ..

how do you network? and does this help you get business to? xx:)

I go to Beccas network :)

Mookins
25-04-2010, 08:22 AM
Ive not heard of this before...how nice, hope they do this in my area
x x

Toothfairy
25-04-2010, 08:35 AM
There are a few CM's at school pick up, so we tend to meet and have a chat then. I also go to the local Childminding group once a week and get to meet and chat with lots of CM's from the local area.
So far (touch wood), everyone has been very kind, chatty and helpful.
I am also doing the DHC, so I get to meet other local CM's there too.

funfunfun
25-04-2010, 08:35 AM
Ive not heard of this before...how nice, hope they do this in my area
x x

It has been fantastic for me as cm's in my village arnt willing to help very much but in the next village they are more than willing .

I met Beccas via the forum (Thankyou Pauline )

Pipsqueak
25-04-2010, 08:43 AM
Cor blimey yeah do I network - I get where the wind doesn't!!! Not just with other childminders but all types of 'other professionals'.

I go to network meetings in my two specific area of town, I run the drop ins and am the vacancy co ordinator and support minder. I also run ECaT.
I am on the CCF/Community network as well. Out of 160 or minders in town I would say I know at least 50!

If I need to find out some information I route out the person i need and go and visit, so that means I get to know social workers, children center staff, eyp's, teachers, nursery/pre school staff, cdo's, portage workers, health visitors and we are lucky having an NCMA outreach office and staff in our area too. Like I say, i get where the wind doesn't!!! I am a one woman promotion for childminders in my area! lol People perhaps groan when they see me coming!!!:laughing:

Mookins
25-04-2010, 08:47 AM
Cor blimey yeah do I network - I get where the wind doesn't!!! Not just with other childminders but all types of 'other professionals'.

I go to network meetings in my two specific area of town, I run the drop ins and am the vacancy co ordinator and support minder. I also run ECaT.
I am on the CCF/Community network as well. Out of 160 or minders in town I would say I know at least 50!

If I need to find out some information I route out the person i need and go and visit, so that means I get to know social workers, children center staff, eyp's, teachers, nursery/pre school staff, cdo's, portage workers, health visitors and we are lucky having an NCMA outreach office and staff in our area too. Like I say, i get where the wind doesn't!!! I am a one woman promotion for childminders in my area! lol People perhaps groan when they see me coming!!!:laughing:

wow...thats a lot of work...but probably the best way to get things done
well done you

x x x

Pipsqueak
25-04-2010, 08:53 AM
wow...thats a lot of work...but probably the best way to get things done
well done you

x x x

lol, it keeps me busy but I enjoy it - might give up childminding and just do that as a full time job:rolleyes: . Actually I don't see it as a lot of work tbh, its something that I believe in and if I can encourage others to have a pride and passion in their work then great.
It does all occasionally creep up and bite me on the bum, normally its around the time a uni assignment is due and I go into meltdown a little.

Mookins
25-04-2010, 08:57 AM
lol, it keeps me busy but I enjoy it - might give up childminding and just do that as a full time job:rolleyes: . Actually I don't see it as a lot of work tbh, its something that I believe in and if I can encourage others to have a pride and passion in their work then great.
It does all occasionally creep up and bite me on the bum, normally its around the time a uni assignment is due and I go into meltdown a little.

perhaps you can help me understand a bit more, ive just typed in networking for my area dnits taken me to this...http://www.childmindingmatters.co.uk/child_network.html

these are who ive gone through for my training etc...but it says I have to be NVQ3 and have outstanding or good grade from ofsted and variousother things...is this the same everywhere?
x x

Pipsqueak
25-04-2010, 08:58 AM
perhaps you can help me understand a bit more, ive just typed in networking for my area dnits taken me to this...http://www.childmindingmatters.co.uk/child_network.html

these are who ive gone through for my training etc...but it says I have to be NVQ3 and have outstanding or good grade from ofsted and variousother things...is this the same everywhere?
x x

will PM you

Mookins
25-04-2010, 08:58 AM
will PM you

thanks hun
x x

christine e
25-04-2010, 09:00 AM
Oh yes I do.

I attend a childminding group where I live and also in another village where I support newly registered childminders. I attend network meeings that take place at various locations around the county and I don't always go to the one most local to me so that I meet childminders that I don't know yet. I attend support childminding meetins so meet other childminders there. I a a committee member of my county association so meet lots of chilmdinders from around the county. I am also on the East Midlands regional committee for the NCMA so meet childminders from across the East Midlands, I attend the regional forums which is great way of keeping up to date with things and having a say in the future of NCMA and I have attended NCMA's annual conference a couple of times so have met childminders from all around the country. I consider the forum to be a big network so although I have not met face to face I do feel that I know members well. Just remembered I have also just joined another childminding group that has access to an allotment so I am meeting some new faces there.

Christine

monkey62
25-04-2010, 09:03 AM
I meet with other childminders at a drop-in or toddlers group, also we have a childminder group once a week.
Not many childminders share them experiences, sometimes if you ask for a opinion they will say '' I don' know'' some of them are really horrible with new childminders. Some of them are very nice and willing to give some advice or a idea.It's all depends.
Anyway found this forum much more helpfull, if I have a question, someone will come along to answer. If I'm stuck with an activity idea, I have a look at previous threads, lots of you share your knowledge, skills and experiences .........which is fantastic.
So thank you very much to all of you.....you are my web network :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

venus89
25-04-2010, 09:08 AM
I try to but our Childminding Group is a bit like just me most times..... I don't mind too much as people drop in on and off when they feel like it and I'm afirst contact for new minders to the area. There's been a bit of bad blood between a few of the minders in the area so I think they're trying to avoid each other!

I just wanted to say, though, that for me going to courses has been the best way to meet other minders from elsewhere and in many ways they're more likeminded to me than the ones in my town.