PDA

View Full Version : Dog problem

birch24
24-04-2010, 09:33 PM
Hi
need some advice.
I had a parent come to see me about minding her children and she said her child has a fear of dogs. I have a small cairn terrier who is lovely but noisy!
The parent has contacted me to say she would like to bring the children to see how they get on with the dog.
She obviously liked it here but needs reassurance about the dog.
How should I go about introducing the child to the dog with regards to his fear?
Any ideas??

Trouble
24-04-2010, 09:39 PM
i would have a gate between the child and your dog until it calms down and just say this is his way of saying hello

and slowly introduce the child to your dog

WibbleWobble
24-04-2010, 09:45 PM
gate is a good idea...i had a problem with cats..one of my cats loves kids but one LO was a bit funny about them. He started putting his hands through the gate to touch the cat...then gate opened and now they are best mates...:) :) :) :) :)

mandy x

birch24
24-04-2010, 09:48 PM
Yes the gate idea is good and i thought i would lock her in the kitchen to start with so they can still see her. I just didnt want to mess up their first visit.

WibbleWobble
24-04-2010, 09:51 PM
it wouldnt mess it up....mum needs to see her kids are happy and to see what you do about the doggy..

BTW cairns are one of my fave dogs....pity i am allergic to all flippin animals!!!! esp dogs and cats (became allergic after i got the cats)

mandy xxxxx

birch24
24-04-2010, 10:00 PM
Cairns dont moult, maybe you wouldn't be allergic to them. They are lovely. DH wants her apply to be toto! :laughing:

Trouble
24-04-2010, 10:02 PM
i would point out which toys are the dogs and we dont touch his things etc so the child knows whats what:thumbsup:

birch24
24-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Yes I do keep the dogs toys out of the way untill the children have gone, just in case they get jealous when she wants them back. lol. Kids! they are not good at sharing are they!!:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Trouble
24-04-2010, 10:11 PM
sorry im tired but keep thinking of new things to add:D :D

or blankets:D

sarah32
25-04-2010, 07:42 AM
I would let the children decide when they want to meet the dog, gate as everyone suggested and let them just say hello first if they want to.

I have a one year old thats scarred of dogs, she can go upto the gate anytime and see my dog and shes happy with that, not got to the touching stage, im let her do it in her own time.:)

Hebs
25-04-2010, 08:07 AM
i have 2 small dogs and all but 2 of my mindees love them to bits,

R aged 3 was terrified of dogs when he started here a month ago, i keep the dogs in the kitchen out of the way when he is here
however
last thursday he was pulling the dining room chair up to the half door i have on the kitchen so he could watch them, and likes to watch them out of the dining room window when they are playing in the garden

fingers crossed by summer he will love them :clapping: we are going at his pace :D

A aged 9 months is a bit better than her brother with them now :D

newandlearning
25-04-2010, 08:24 AM
hi.. I've a jumpy dog.. and I find if I put him in his crate he just barks and barks.. instead I've put him on the lead in the past and been firm with him.. after he has sniffed the child he loses interest really quick and then can calmly be put in his crate. my dog love his crate .. its his sactuary ;) :)

sweets
25-04-2010, 08:52 AM
think ithe gate idea is great i would go with theat.

cairns are great! we had one when i was growing up, very very friendly and loved sitting on visitors knees:blush: and having her belly tickled, we used to call her a tart!

she absolutely loved people but take her to the park and she was top dog, the boss all round. any dog that sniffed at her she soon saw off with a growl:laughing:

WibbleWobble
25-04-2010, 09:16 AM
Cairns dont moult, maybe you wouldn't be allergic to them. They are lovely. DH wants her apply to be toto! :laughing:

its not the hair...its the dander i am allergic too and the saliva and if they just scratch a bit.......oooohhhh itchy!

I am also allergic to horses too.....which is a real pain cos i have had them all my life. I broke my neck 8 years ago and since then have developed allergies to everything inc cleaning stuff and very brittle asthma- and i used to run for the county when i was a kid!

its a real shame cos i love doggies...and so do my family. We only have the cats because they were with me before my accident. When they go to the great catnip filled cushion in the sky i wont be having any more.:( :( :(

mandy x

birch24
25-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Gosh poor you. Hope you are well now.

:) :) :) :)