PDA

View Full Version : Help with question

Straws
24-04-2010, 10:41 AM
Hello all,

I need help with a question for my NVQ, question is .......The safeguarding of children from abuse including making children aware of their bodies...... I can do the safeguarding bit but how do I include making children aware of own bodies?

Straws xx

Pipsqueak
24-04-2010, 02:09 PM
Its about teaching them that its ok to say no I don;t like that, stop it, that no one has the right to hurt them, that secrets aren't always a good thing (we do surprises not secrets), giving children the tools to know whats right and wrong, no one has the right to touch them in their private places but also getting a balance about sex/sexuality and its not a dirty thing and also sometimes a person like a doctor/nurse/mummy/daddy may need to have a look at private places but they should be explaining first and they should stop if they are uncomfortable

About encouraging independent hygiene, toileting and dressing skills - reducing the risk to them and other (ie you)

That all bodies are different yet the same (ie shape, size)

answering questions honestly to children yet age appropriately

respecting personal space

cause and effect:

physical movement - keeping fit and healthy and the effect our own bodies has on things - ie water, being careful with scissors or knives

feeling unwell or hurt what we do - tell someone, take medicine etc

help children understand and manage their own risk

Kes
24-04-2010, 02:11 PM
Simple activities about naming body parts. Also things like asking do you want me to to look away while you get dressed, go to the toilet etc. Helps children to learn about privacy.

Straws
24-04-2010, 05:24 PM
Thankyou both for your help

Straws xx