PDA

View Full Version : So.....................how to begin Mmmmmm

SparklingGems
23-04-2010, 03:20 PM
Ok so I want to start my learning journeys over the weekend. But im not sure how to start I have Sarahs learning journey ebook which is fab. I'm just not sure if I need to do something to start off the learning journey process eg

RG can climb steps, get dressed, jump hop etc

or would it be best to go through the grid and write down what areas they already cover?

But then would I need to do obs to prove this?

I have done an all about me form- but I dont feel like that really helps me with learning and development questions.

Thanks

huggableshelly
23-04-2010, 05:16 PM
I have the grid printed out and placed into each childs folder.

during the settling in sessions I make a report on what I have noticed the child can already do adding parents have informed me that child can ride a bike write name sit up unaided etc.

use different coloured highlighters for example:

orange - observed during settling in sessions, parents comments or stated on all about me forms. (I then add each eyfs comment to the first report stating a short sentence to say why the child has covered this such as usesone hand tools - child was able to use the hammer on the whack an alien game with ease).

blue - this is where you start doing your obs and creating next steps dont forget to date each one you mark off and back it up with pics/childs creations/ written short obs.

green - parents have informed you that the child looked at books turning pages correctly - no need for an obs to go with this as parents have shared information with you.

at the bottom of the grid add what your colour coding means.
send the learning journey home every so often, ask parents to fill in a comments sheet and ask if they have noticed other bits their child may have completed at home.

prove that you are sharing information with parents - if child is in preschool only share copies of the grid dont hand over your hard work.

monkey62
24-04-2010, 07:00 PM
Thank you for such a good ideea.That will make my life much more easier.

Fabby
24-04-2010, 07:05 PM
What are these grids that you are on about? Sound great! Can anyone share a copy please?:blush:

funfunfun
24-04-2010, 09:25 PM
What are these grids that you are on about? Sound great! Can anyone share a copy please?:blush:

:blush:I would also like to see this ??

SparklingGems
27-04-2010, 06:46 PM
The grids are just the learning development outcomes for each age range.

There in your eyfs pack and I think someone on here put them into age range order. Not sure where the post is though.

SparklingGems
27-04-2010, 06:47 PM
I have the grid printed out and placed into each childs folder.

during the settling in sessions I make a report on what I have noticed the child can already do adding parents have informed me that child can ride a bike write name sit up unaided etc.

use different coloured highlighters for example:

orange - observed during settling in sessions, parents comments or stated on all about me forms. (I then add each eyfs comment to the first report stating a short sentence to say why the child has covered this such as usesone hand tools - child was able to use the hammer on the whack an alien game with ease).

blue - this is where you start doing your obs and creating next steps dont forget to date each one you mark off and back it up with pics/childs creations/ written short obs.

green - parents have informed you that the child looked at books turning pages correctly - no need for an obs to go with this as parents have shared information with you.

at the bottom of the grid add what your colour coding means.
send the learning journey home every so often, ask parents to fill in a comments sheet and ask if they have noticed other bits their child may have completed at home.

prove that you are sharing information with parents - if child is in preschool only share copies of the grid dont hand over your hard work.

This is a fantastic idea thank you so much. Do you mark of the grid things they did before you had them or just the age range they are now?

Tahnk you