PDA

View Full Version : Confused and panicking!

Lady Haha
23-04-2010, 01:17 PM
I am due my Ofsted inspection anytime from June so I have started panicking, I mean preparing.....

Now, I am all up together really. My problem is that the only EYFS child i have is school hols only and she is in reception.

I have been going through my SEF and looking at different policies etc etc and I feel like something is wrong!

I also care for seven kids who are all aged 6-9 years and not in EYFS. This is every day after school and in holidays. I spend an awful lot of time planning for them, thinking up activities and learning themes, taking them on day trips, honing in on their interests etc....they absolutely love coming here, feel part of a big family and their parents couldn't be happier.

So why am I only going to get judged on the child I see for a few weeks out of the year??? I find it impossible to do any planning for her because she has moved on to the next steps already by the time I see her again! I make observations on the photos I take in hols and link them to EYFS, but thats as far as I can go really.

Or! Do Ofsted actually take into consideration the older children you are caring for and what you do to make their 'outcomes' better?

Just feeling abit miffed, cos I spend so much time with these kids and I genuinely love feeling like I am making a big impact on their learning, so surely that should count towards something on my inspection?:(

sandy64
23-04-2010, 01:46 PM
do you have a learning journal for her? i would use anythink you have as evidence to show that you no what your doing and as you only have her so many times a year ofsted should understand that i would get lots of obs sheets and eyfs trackers and jot what obs you have previously have done and also track what stage shes up to talk to parents let them right notes that will show ofsted your working with parents, also any planning sheets evan if its for older kids stop panicking you can only do so much its the evidence they want and you will have it evan if more for older kids:)

sarah707
23-04-2010, 02:03 PM
Ofsted will only look at the children within the Eyfs age group.

However they will not fail to notice the things you do for the older children as well, will they? :D

loocyloo
23-04-2010, 05:03 PM
if ofsted are only interested in what we do for the early years group, why are we registered for children up to the age of 8?

if a childminder only cared for children who were year 1 and above and therefore out of the early years group, does that mean that the childminder would only be able to be graded as satisfactory? no matter how fantastic they were?

after all schools are inspected on ALL children, not just year R !

Lady Haha
23-04-2010, 06:22 PM
if ofsted are only interested in what we do for the early years group, why are we registered for children up to the age of 8?

if a childminder only cared for children who were year 1 and above and therefore out of the early years group, does that mean that the childminder would only be able to be graded as satisfactory? no matter how fantastic they were?

after all schools are inspected on ALL children, not just year R !

Which will be me come Aug 31st! If Ofsted are behind in inspecting me, I won't have any EYFS children. I think it's wrong! It's like they are all for a unique child and this that and the other and how important it is that the childs outcomes are good etc......until the Aug 31st after their fifth birthday and then Ofsted couldn't care less about 'what is it like for a child here?':mad: Aren't children just as important after this date?

I don't have a learning journey for the EYFS child, I just don't see her often enough to make it worthwhile and the school won't work with me either!

Maybe I'm mad, but I actually want to be scrutinised and judged on the care I provide for the older ones!