PDA

View Full Version : measles and ofsted??

mushpea
23-04-2010, 10:53 AM
does anyone please know if measles is one of the infectious diseases that we have to tell ofsted about? I have come in to contact with a child who has measles and also just sent one home with a possible case of measles , i have informed all other parents within my setting but unsure about ofsted,

Pipsqueak
23-04-2010, 10:54 AM
Absolutely.:thumbsup:

Hebs
23-04-2010, 11:29 AM
Absolutely.:thumbsup:

why?

it is a common childhood disease :blush:

Noodles
23-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Yes its a notifiable disease:) :)

Dragonfly
23-04-2010, 03:57 PM
It is a very bad illness to get, I had it well over 4o years ago with 3 of my sisters its not like chicken pox and german measles.I would be surprised if it is not notifiable.

Hebs
23-04-2010, 03:58 PM
melissa had it twice as a baby

tulip0803
23-04-2010, 03:59 PM
Yes it is notifiable. My friend had a case last year.

tulip0803
23-04-2010, 04:00 PM
melissa had it twice as a baby

Your doctor will have informed the Public Health people

Pipsqueak
23-04-2010, 04:03 PM
why?

it is a common childhood disease :blush:

Its not as common as it once was but it is on the rise again due to people not vaccinating.
Its a very dangerous disease as well.

tulip0803
23-04-2010, 04:07 PM
Here is the HPA list of notifiable dieseases http://www.hpa.org.uk/Topics/InfectiousDiseases/InfectionsAZ/NotificationsOfInfectiousDiseases/ListOfNotifiableDiseases/

My friend had the local HPA people come out but it was an isolated case no-one else they new had it:rolleyes: .

mushpea
23-04-2010, 04:11 PM
well it wasnt measles after all and i ended up emailing ofsted who sent me this link
http://www.hpa.org.uk/Topics/InfectiousDiseases/InfectionsAZ/NotificationsOfInfectiousDiseases/ListOfNotifiableDiseases/

and yes it is notifiable, thanks for letting me know,
it ended up being a viral infection , the doctor the first child saw wasnt particulary intersted in the child or what the parent had to say and didnt take a swab to check for measles and as a result told her wrongly it was measles, the second child was told its a viral infection that presents like measles but is no worse than a common cold.

Pipsqueak
23-04-2010, 04:25 PM
oh I am glad its not measles. it gives me the shudders thinking about measles

Hebs
23-04-2010, 04:51 PM
Your doctor will have informed the Public Health people

:laughing:

a girl in marks class was removed from school by the Public Health dept :panic: dr got lab results and had to inform them of the results which resulted in this girl being quarenteened by PH people
she caught a bug from drinking stagnant bottled water :panic: even the teacher caught it :panic:
within a week the school banned drinking bottles and installed a water fountain :laughing:

PixiePetal
23-04-2010, 04:56 PM
I had measles as a child nearly 40 years ago and remember the scary hallucinations I had and the burning hotness. I had recurring bad dreams for years after too of lights and sounds.

Glad it was not measles for your mindee after all :)

Heaven Scent
23-04-2010, 05:39 PM
I had Measles, German Measles & Chicken Pox when I was young - its such a shame that some parents won't get their children protected against these illnesses - In the States nurseries will not accept children who have not been vaccinated against them - even Chicken Pox.