PDA

View Full Version : How to say goodbye

sophiemarie
22-04-2010, 06:55 PM
Hi this is a follow on from my last post. I am a very chatty person and at the end of the day when parents arrive I am there for another half hour before they go but I want to finish on time how can I do this without appearing rude any advice :) :)

Mookins
22-04-2010, 06:58 PM
very good question i too can talk for hours...wonder what the response will be

x x x

sophiemarie
22-04-2010, 07:00 PM
lol good job were not working together the poor parents would never get out:)

sarah707
22-04-2010, 07:01 PM
I have one who wants to stay and chat and it drives me potty because I'm usually up to my elbows in washing up and trying to manage other children :laughing:

She's lovely though and it is nice to have adult company at the end of the day.

I usually just say ok see you tomorrow and give a big smile then hands back in the washing up.

The rest are fine and generally go fairly quickly :D

Mookins
22-04-2010, 07:02 PM
yeah they might pay us to shut up though:idea:

in which case we would be loaded lol
x x

Pipsqueak
22-04-2010, 07:02 PM
you live and learn.

sometimes i don't mind a quick 5 minute natter with parents.

but from experience, I do explain to parents at interview that I am not being rude but I often have things to do in the evenings and won't stop chatting long as I have my dinner/family to sort out/get to training/house to clean/walk a dog/ or just plain flake out OR I might still have other children to be caring for.
if they want to have a chat then its best to make an 'appointment' or try to give me fair warning.

Alternatively, I have the child ready, parent doesn't get in the door or they come just inside to the hallway, cheery goodbye - quick handover chat and I open the door making it a point to say, now hold mummy/daddy hand.

I don't feel bad or guilty, i learnt my lesson with a parent who could stay up to 2hrs (best record was 3.5hrs)

Mookins
22-04-2010, 07:03 PM
you live and learn.

sometimes i don't mind a quick 5 minute natter with parents.

but from experience, I do explain to parents at interview that I am not being rude but I often have things to do in the evenings and won't stop chatting long as I have my dinner/family to sort out/get to training/house to clean/walk a dog/ or just plain flake out OR I might still have other children to be caring for.
if they want to have a chat then its best to make an 'appointment' or try to give me fair warning.

Alternatively, I have the child ready, parent doesn't get in the door or they come just inside to the hallway, cheery goodbye - quick handover chat and I open the door making it a point to say, now hold mummy/daddy hand.

I don't feel bad or guilty, i learnt my lesson with a parent who could stay up to 2hrs (best record was 3.5hrs)

:eek: holy moly!

little miss chatterbox
22-04-2010, 07:04 PM
don't invite them in, have lo's ready with shoes and coats on when parents arrive, hand them over and say bye!

sounds harsh but I have been in your position!

Have a daily diary system in place so anything they need to know about the day is documented but make sure they know they can make an appointment at any time if they need a chat and that your door is always open!

Good luck x

FussyElmo
22-04-2010, 07:06 PM
I used to have a mum who would ask my dh if he was putting the kettle on :rolleyes: What I learned was to put the ironing board and do tea and she used to get the hint :)