PDA

View Full Version : Am I being petty

sophiemarie
22-04-2010, 06:30 PM
Hi all I don't know if I am being petty but I am really mad with myself for doing this.
The little boy I care for finishes at 5.30 when mum arrived to collect him tonight (at 5.30) we had a little chat in that time he soiled his nappy and she asked me to change him. As mum was there he then proceded to scream and struggle while he had his nappy changed which he never does, while mum stood above me and watched me do it.
I feel she should of done it herself as I had clocked off 10 mins ago and when I finished and settled him it was 6.0.clock and I don't don't know if it is just me but I would have never stood and watched someone else change my child's soiled nappy.
Please tell me if you think I am over reacting I wont be offended :(

TammyN
22-04-2010, 06:37 PM
I DO CHANGE THE CHILDREN IF THEY HAVE SOILED AS PARENTS ARRIVE, I TAKE THEM UPSTAIRS THO AND JUST CHAT ABOVE THE SCREAMING :)

crazyhazy
22-04-2010, 06:38 PM
I don't think you are over reacting, I can only think that maybe she asked you cos she didn't want to do it in your house herself. But that doesn't really excuse it, seems rather lazy to me, especially when she was no longer paying you, I'd be tempted to bill her for the extra half hour!

sarah707
22-04-2010, 06:41 PM
I pass baby and nappy to mum and excuse myself while I go and finish the washing up :D

Pipsqueak
22-04-2010, 06:42 PM
Perhaps she felt selfconscious and knew that LO would play up - she was trusting your authority.

Perhaps if it happens again, just cheerfully hand her the changing bag.

I understand where you are coming from on this, but you invited her in for a chat iyswim but I would just put it down to being professional and flexible this time.

Twinkles
22-04-2010, 06:44 PM
I'd say

' Oh perfect timing xxx. I'll find you the clean nappy and wipes mummy , would you like a cup of tea ? ' :D

sophiemarie
22-04-2010, 06:49 PM
thanks all it helps to have a rant I think maybe I need to think about my departure routine as I do spend alot of time chatting to parents but I just dont know how to hand children over and say goodbye lol any tips :)

Pipsqueak
22-04-2010, 06:54 PM
tips about departure - I think most of us would say:

have child ready before parent arrives, open door - parent does not get to step in because you are already gently handing over the child with a cheery see you tomorrow then:D

failing that put your own coat and shoes on and have to be somewhere trick!

Chimps Childminding
22-04-2010, 07:04 PM
I have a mixture, some parents quite happy to let me get on with it whilst they stand and watch, others say oh don't worry I will do it and get on with it (like yesterday, new baby on settling in session).

As for handover, I am useless :blush: . Chat to parents during which time lo has got out all the toys I have got them to put away before parents arrived, so then have that to do again once they have gone! And if I try and get them ready, by the time parent arrives they have usually taken off coat, shoes etc again :angry:

Jelly Baby
22-04-2010, 08:55 PM
Hmm most of the time i just say (or said as no more in nappies at the mo!) 'oh would you like me to do it?'..i then nip upstairs and change them and parents wait at the bottom of the stairs (as we are in a town house) or the mum will just say 'oh no don't worry i'll do it when home'.

I tend to have parents who are rushing out the door or i am and so therefore dont chat to them much as like i said never enough time so dont mind doing the odd nappy change! I do think half hour is a bit over though at the end of the day.

Desi-101
22-04-2010, 09:14 PM
I pass baby and nappy to mum and excuse myself while I go and finish the washing up :D

Exactly what I would do but maybe hesitate to do cause I am a new childminder but what Sarah says is so down to earth, thanks will give me the confidence to do it if I am ever in that situation. :)

AliceK
23-04-2010, 08:43 AM
If children do not rush to the door at pick-up time to see who it is, if they are too engrosed in doing something, then I invite parent in to where ever child is playing and then I take charge. I get coats / shoes and put them on the child myself, get their bag pass to mum / dad and then say something along the lines of "shall we see you tomorrow then". Whilst I'm putting coats / shoes on I'll say if they've been ok or done something specific or anything else that needs to be said. Then I walk (or herd :laughing: ) the child to the front door. IF a parent specifically wanted to talk to me about something obviously I would but otherwise it's the end of the day, I've had enough and I've got my own 2 LO's to sort out so it's a quick handover for me. I think if you leave the parent to do it they will mess around and take forever so I do it myself.

xxxxxxxx

WibbleWobble
23-04-2010, 08:49 AM
mine seem to time a real stinky one just as mummy comes through the door. My mummies are usually early so i dont mind changing yet more bums. I like a LO to go home comfy. It also shows these young first time mums that their babies are happy with me and i care. One does scream...but he does with mum so we just shout louder over him and make a joke of it.

now departures...one mummy shoots off after a quick rundown of the days events. The other likes to sit about and chat...but she is always early and as times up comes along i gently persuade her to get a move on...kid in coat, bag on buggy etc!

mandy x

Ripeberry
23-04-2010, 10:38 AM
I usually have to coral one of the children in as she was having SO much fun yesterday, she kept running off into the garden away from her mum, so together we 'trapped' her in the living room so mum could pick her up.
She is only 3yrs old and sometimes screams the place down when she has to go home.